iu

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No, if you wanna modify it. Stay offline. I'm tired of online games getting filled with Cheaters etc. anyway. So It's a no from me dawg even if I like CFW.
I’m in complete agreement with you about cheating online. This is a no-go! Banning cheaters is not only okay, it’s mandatory to ensure fair players can enjoy their games. If you want to use an online service, read the rules and only use the service if you agree. And if you don’t agree, don’t give them any money (don’t buy their stuff and don't pay for their service).

But the problem is more complex in my opinion. There is more than just “I’m banned from Nintendo online.” And “Company X has a too restrictive EULA.” (some EULAs even violate laws, but that’s a different topic).
In the case of Nintendo there is this banning from the Eshop. This is totally lawful as far as I know. You can read the EULA before using the shop and Nintendo has the right to deny access. They are not obligated to sell to anybody if they don’t want.
But I think it’s wrong to do this. Modifying a console is neither equal to cheating online nor to “piracy”. Even if somebody “pirates” and still wants to buy something, an Eshop ban makes no sense for me. And if they cheated in a game, why not sell them more games while banning from online play? It hurts indie developers who can’t publish their software physically.

I want full control over my devices and have CFW/Homebrew on some of my consoles but not a single “pirated” title (only backups and I mean backups of paid games!). Because of Nintendo’s strict behavior I will never buy a switch. They lost a few thousand(!) Euros on sales because of their EULA just in my single case.
Showing disagreement with your wallet is in my opinion more helpful than a petition they will just laugh about.

The whole problem reminds me of the “cryptowars”. Does the end user stay in control of their data, software* and devices? Until now devices the end user can mostly control exist. Arguments like preventing cheating can be abused to restrict users more and more. Like in this new Japanese law forbidding any modification of consoles or saves. This is terrible! They will argue: If you want arbitrary code execution, don’t buy a gaming console. It’s just designed to serve a limited purpose and not a general purpose computer. Buy a PC instead. How long will this argument work? How long will there be devices that “we” can fully control by design?

Most people won’t say anything against this because they:
a) don’t care
b) don’t understand the implications that come with loss of control.

Until now PCs with Microsoft Windows (and as far as In know to a lesser extend devices with Android, but I don’t have such a thing) allow arbitrary code execution. And this can also be abused to cheat online so companies are forced to find ways to catch cheaters.

It is very important to bring forward good arguments for legal usecases of CFW and stop this trend of more and more restrictions. This is not only about gaming. But this goes too far off topic, so I will stop here.

*Yes, I know software is only licensed, and the user doesn’t own the rights but it’s to long to put this in every time.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

Teck-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
A petition is usually accompanied with some kind of an appeal to the recipient's better nature. You can't just go "hey Nintendo can we hack your system without getting banned, pretty please?" and expect something to happen.

Has it occurred to you that the reason they've spent so much resource to lock their system in the first place is they do not want you to mod it? For what possible reason should they be concerned that you want to mod it?

Wheth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
as long as the content, software and hardware modifications are free, open source
Sorry, I like SX OS too much to sign something like that.

I'm gonna make a petition for various companies to hire me as their CEO now, back in a minute

TPMJB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't hack it if the ability to rip my carts natively to the console was in place. It's a convenience thing.

Wish I could hack the PS4 and do the same. Discs are always so much cheaper than digital downloads.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Luigi's Mansion 2 HD is out