Hardware Are you getting 3G or Wi-Fi only?

Which would you get? (If your local carrier supports the 3G version)

• 3G + Wi-Fi

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Wi-Fi only

Votes: 31 88.6%

• Total voters

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wifi only B's. Why? Because 3G...
-makes the whole console cost more
-I dont feel like paying for a 3G plan (if there is one lol)
-Theres Wifi everywhere anyways
-3G is slow ass balls

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
SamAsh07 said:
Wi-Fi only, I'll bet $50,000 that 3G support won't come all the way here. Neither will it come to Singapore Chris
wink.gif
I know it sounds heart breaking, but this is the fact.

3G support will be in Japan, UK, US and some other countries, but it definitely ain't coming to Middle-Eastern Asia, SG/Malaysia, India, Brazil etc etc etc.
That may not be true. Sony has many many more companies worldwide and they've even set up their HQ here in Singapore. There's a chance that any can get the 3G if Sony has their HQ in the country.

Or: shops can import them from the US and use plans by local carriers (darn not MicroSIM again
glare.gif
)

I just hope if we do get the 3G model, Singtel won't be the exclusive owner. Very much last time with the release of iPhone 3G, yup it was catastrophic. Thankfully it changed with the 4. Singtel's services are also one of the worst and most expensive anyways.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting a Wi-Fi only model. If I can't play online games on the 3G service, I see no point.

Need to check the internet? Got a phone.

Want to check leaderboards? I can wait.

Want to see my trophies? I can also wait.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Slyakin said:
I'm getting a Wi-Fi only model. If I can't play online games on the 3G service, I see no point.

Need to check the internet? Got a phone.

Want to check leaderboards? I can wait.

Want to see my trophies? I can also wait.
You CAN play online, even multiplayer.

But remember, generally 3G comes with a data cap (no cap? That's pricey!) and on average 3G is significantly slower than Wi-Fi. (Using speedtest: my 3G speed 1.6Mbps, Wi-Fi speed 13.6Mbps).

Yup my Wi-Fi's still slow. Yet to upgrade.
tongue.gif

EDIT: Scrap no online multiplayer in 3G, sorrie!!!
frown.gif

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Slyakin said:
chris888222 said:
Slyakin said:
chris888222 said:
You CANNOT play online, even multiplayer.
Need source. NAOW.
Edited.

Extremely sorry, I always thought the 3G usage would be up to the users.
glare.gif

There's a video in the link.
See what I mean? I find 3G pointless. :/
But Near would also seem pretty useless without 3G. Especially in a place where hotspots require some login. (ahem wireless@sg
glare.gif
)

Anyways still, Wi-Fi for me.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You're not even gonna be able to play games on 3G and to top it off, it's exclusive to AT&T. Those are two reasons why it's not worth 50$ extra. Hell, it's not even worth it to get it at no extra charges, since you'd still have to pay for 3G monthly.

Also, what's the point of 3G? Most people now have a wifi router at home, so a wifi hotspot is available to most people. As for playing on the road, if you have a wifi hotspot where you are at, you could, but if you're in a car or in a bus, then tough luck, just do like any other systems before and play offline.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Apparently, according to Wiki, 3G sets will have AR and some other content thanks to the always-on PSV 3G capabilities.

Wiki said:
The PlayStation Vita will be released as two different versions: one with 3G support, and a cheaper version without 3G support. The more expensive 3G-version will also come pre-loaded with some special applications that take advantage of 3G's "always-on" capabilities, such as augmented reality software.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that I think of it, I wonder how Near WOULD work without 3G. They'd probably either have to go with a more StreetPass-esque design, or just scrap it entirely.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Slyakin said:
Now that I think of it, I wonder how Near WOULD work without 3G. They'd probably either have to go with a more StreetPass-esque design, or just scrap it entirely.
It would work with Hotspots (there's no GPS in the Wi-Fi only), but most hotspots are password protected (WEP) and some require logins...
dry.gif

But yeah, if you always use the PSV online at home/country has no public hotspots, I also don't see how it'll work.

and about the streetpass esque:

Fanboys: F*** YOU SONY COPIED AGAIN.

sergster1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... usually 3G enabled devices use a sim card... so couldnt i technically take the sim from my droid and use it there? Also sony were COMPLETE tards with this. They let verizon a great cell phone company get the xperia play so why cant they get vita support aswell?

Its like the iphone all over again.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chris888222 said:
It would work with Hotspots (there's no GPS in the Wi-Fi only), but most hotspots are password protected (WEP) and some require logins...
dry.gif

But yeah, if you always use the PSV online at home/country has no public hotspots, I also don't see how it'll work.

and about the streetpass esque:

Fanboys: F*** YOU SONY COPIED AGAIN.
I lul'd at the spoiler.

I think that Nintendo did it right with the StreetPass/SpotPass thing; You don't need an active internet connection to get "gifts", when you can just wirelessly connect to other people. SpotPass can be done at hotspots, and doesn't require people.

Sony seems to have it mixed up a bit. Well, let's hope Near services aren't too important.

I

ishdeepsingh

ok heres what i think . a 3g, because its just a cupl tens more, bu dont get a plan. so the 3g wont have any service and it will use wifi instead. now the ngp has more value and u dont need to worry about paying for 3g. and later on down the road, if you want it to become a 3g, then you can just add service.

TheLostSabre

Naberius the Nauseous
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No intention to purchase the PSV at any time in the near future. If, however, I ever do get one the Wi-fi would suffice. I'm not the kind of guy who's into optional monthly payment.

zefyx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This depends. If the rumors of RAM reduction hold true for the WiFi model then I will be purchasing the 3G model for the increased memory size.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA-vTRfE_x0