Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
According to this post by OzModChips:

QUOTE said:
Still non back from the new batch - aboout 100 sold now (sales are slow now for this as the word of their issues get around)

Still getting some back from 3 months ago...Either people don't play their DS much, or maybe they will all come back

The new batch has this little white sticker on the PCB, its some Chinese symbol (you need to open it up to see it)

Fingers crossed.

Have you dared to open up any of the ones that were bad and see if they have the white sticker on the PCB?

-Bri

Lametta

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
I think I've been very lucky with Acekard2, I got 2 of them (one for me and one for my boyfriend) from Dealextreme in the end of April and they are still working fine.
They never give us any problem at all *crosses fingers for the future* so my experience with them it's positive.

But reading about all those defective AK2 I dunno if I would recommend one to a friend though
wacko.gif

schmoey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just got my replacement AK2 from DX in the mail today, so far it's working good. Also have the Ultra Guide sticker on the package. Only time will tell if Team AK has fixed the problem or not! >.

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lametta said:
I think I've been very lucky with Acekard2, I got 2 of them (one for me and one for my boyfriend) from Dealextreme in the end of April and they are still working fine.
They never give us any problem at all *crosses fingers for the future* so my experience with them it's positive.

But reading about all those defective AK2 I dunno if I would recommend one to a friend though
wacko.gif
If OzModChips estimate was right, (~10% defective) then there is still an 81% probability of getting 2 fully functioning ones. It's only because people sign up to comment on it that it seems so bad.

Also, they have (so far) had no returns on the latest set (>100) so it's pretty safe now.

OzModChips

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bri said:
According to this post by OzModChips:

QUOTE said:
Still non back from the new batch - aboout 100 sold now (sales are slow now for this as the word of their issues get around)

Still getting some back from 3 months ago...Either people don't play their DS much, or maybe they will all come back

The new batch has this little white sticker on the PCB, its some Chinese symbol (you need to open it up to see it)

Fingers crossed.

Have you dared to open up any of the ones that were bad and see if they have the white sticker on the PCB?

-Bri

They dont. They put these on recently...3 weeks ago or so.
defective rates cant really be figured out for a while....

it will probably end up being 30%

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OzModChips,

We were hoping that the Ultra Guide sticker would be an indicator that your card is from a batch less likely to have a defective cart. But Wetpatch indicated that his with the Ultra Guide sticker failed. Can you tell us whether you've had AK2's with the Ultra Guide sticker returned? Is there any way to tell if you've gotten one from the latest batch of (presumably) good AK2's?

-Bri

OzModChips

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I talked to Mr. Acekard last night

UltraGuide is a sticker for the asian market - not the western market
Its not an indicator for anything ecept the fact that the acekards where sold to an asian distributor.

So any western reseller that has that sticker is getting stock from an asian reseller, and not the team.

Wetpatch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just thought Id add to the continued problems

Since the last post out of the seven that I purchased 3 are waiting replacement and 2 more have now crapped out another Fat 32 and also loading problem on the other that just bring up a white screen
one purchased from Quantronics Sydney the other 2 from Ace game .com

Never again... Have now purchased THE R4 and found them terrific

TerrificTorkoal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's pretty bad if the current defect rate is predicted to end up at around 30% o_o
Funny, considering that so many people like the AK2; I was considering getting one too.

Freakeh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wetpatch said:
that just bring up a white screen
The one I received today from ace game.com also gives me this white screen, it does it after loading a game right? Ugh just my luck!

What were AceGame .com like for a replacement?

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
The broken acekards all froze before even loading up the firmware (froze on the loading firmware screen) iirc. So this might be something wrong on your end.

Skydancer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Normmatt said:
The broken acekards all froze before even loading up the firmware (froze on the loading firmware screen) iirc. So this might be something wrong on your end.

Uhh sounds not good....

my Card forze last night on Boot Up (Loading), i remove the card and try again. Works.... hope my is not broken. It´s 2-3 Weeks old from DX (Ultra Guide Sticker)

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Skydancer said:
Uhh sounds not good....

my Card forze last night on Boot Up (Loading), i remove the card and try again. Works.... hope my is not broken. It´s 2-3 Weeks old from DX (Ultra Guide Sticker)
If it worked after reinserting the card then it is likely not to be broken
wink.gif

FAT Error simply means a problem with the microSD (missing, corrupted, no firmware etc.)

But if it actually froze, it may be something else entirely...

Infinite_zero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had my AK2 for about 2 months now and its frozen AND come up with FAT error a few times....I just take it out of the DS,take out the MicroSD and use the old NES trick:blow it out.works every time for me.not that this could solve ALL problems but it works for me.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OzModChips said:
I think they have fixed the issue
we have shipped about 70 of the new ones so far - and no complaints yet!
They have revised the hardware a little

its quite funny - we offered some customers an m3 real as a replacement, even after geting 2 faulty in a row....and they still wouldn't take it. People that like Ak2's interface don't want to switch to anything else, and understandably so.
That's odd but still understandable.

Freakeh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Freakeh said:
Wetpatch said:
that just bring up a white screen
The one I received today from ace game.com also gives me this white screen, it does it after loading a game right? Ugh just my luck!

What were AceGame .com like for a replacement?
Just to correct myself, it wasn't a bad AK2 but rather a bad game(s) so mines working fine.

ozzymud

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been over a month since the last post on this... are we past it?

I've got an Acekard2 and would LOVE another couple of em for the childrens DSs
tongue.gif

Bought mine from r4dsusa.com well over 2 months ago and guess i got lucky, still working.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It would appear that the bad batches are gone. From anecdotal evidence, if they are going to fail they usually fail in a month or two.

ETA: I should clarify that there will always be bad units in any batch. By "gone" I mean that the number of bad units are at a minimum. During the "bad" batches, I saw estimates by resellers that 15% to maybe 20% of units were being returned, and I suspect that the number is now much smaller.

-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: there a bunch of good games missing, one of them (which makes a lot of sense for this type of...