A TV That Watches You (Testing Now In Japan)

SamAsh07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
nhk.jpg

Google has long dreamed of hardware that knows exactly who's watching TV, which would let them target content and ads towards the viewer. Japanese network NHK is now testing that technology in the real world, hoping to accomplish something similar.

According to New Launches, the experimental software runs on a tablet, which uses its camera to track facial expressions and estimate the mood and level of interest of the viewer.

The viewer's interest is determined by observing his face, facial expression and motion. For eg - if the viewer's expression does not change for a brief period, then he may be concentrating on the program. At the moment the differences are derived by comparing to the normal state but it is also possible to ascertain if the viewer is happy or angry.

Using that information, the television can recommend shows for the viewer to watch next, or perhaps more sinister, take advantage of their emotional state with apropos ads. Creepy.[/p]

Source

Really creepy....

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
QUOTE said:
Using that information, the television can recommend shows for the viewer to watch next, or perhaps more sinister, take advantage of their emotional state with apropos ads

yeah fuck that idea not interested

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
that's retarded. not from a privacy point of view, but for them to think they can actually gather data as to what audiences like. at least for me, i usually read or draw when i watch tv, they wouldn't be able to gather squat except maybe conclude that nothing is interesting.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally I would use this to make glasses stereoscopy (what is laughably called 3d) workable.
This being said decent head/eye tracking would do just as well although that is a very hard task so I guess if the advertisers want to fund that research they might have done something useful with their existence.

B

BryceOne

nando said:
that's retarded. not from a privacy point of view, but for them to think they can actually gather data as to what audiences like. at least for me, i usually read or draw when i watch tv, they wouldn't be able to gather squat except maybe conclude that nothing is interesting.

Then you smile at something your drawing while a Lady Gaga video is on, and all of a sudden the TV thinks your a Lady Gaga fan and starts throwing everything to do with Lady Gaga at you.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
BryceOne said:
nando said:

Then you smile at something your drawing while a Lady Gaga video is on, and all of a sudden the TV thinks your a Lady Gaga fan and starts throwing everything to do with Lady Gaga at you.
this thing needs to be destroyed now it cannot be let out to the public!!!!
blink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: damn