Review K101 Revo, Official GBAtemp Review

JustBeKrillin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone else been capable of getting the GamePic folder to work inside there ksystem folder and actually display the thumbnails as you scroll through your games? I cant figure it out. I have it extracted into my ksystem folder like instructed?

wprpalmeida

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
so... they "forgot" my replacement unit for the last White model batch and now I should get one when the crystal black units arrive... they need to sort these customer service issues, because they have a very good product in hand

ItWasABadDream

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Revo K101+ came in the mail about 3 weeks ago. I really love the thing and I've figured out how to make GB/C games save & load properly. This thread's original post makes mention of the Revo K101+ having issues with Game Boy & Game Boy Color saves. The multitude of videos I've watched (from the official Revo/K1GBA YouTube channel and various owners of the Revo K101+) and things I've read did not work on my console for some reason. I'm talking about the hotkey combinations to save and load games (*+Start and *+Select). Those combos only ever worked ONCE for me. After a couple days messing around, I've been able to find a way to have GB/C games save and load properly. I should mention that I bought the Revo K101+ for the sole purpose of Pokemon rom hacks and therefore the only successful GB/C save/load method I've found has been tested on the original GB/C Pokemon games and various GB/C Pokemon rom hacks.

Here's how I'm getting GB/C games to save & load correctly:
  1. Save my progress using in-game menu
  2. Bring up the Configuration Menu by pressing L+R simultaneously
  3. Scroll down to "Manage SRAM -->"
  4. Press Select to erase SRAM
  5. Press *+L and choose "Return to file list"
Using those exact steps, I've been able to make Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, and numerous rom hacks of those games properly and safely save & load. As mentioned above, I bought this device for Pokemon rom hacks. I've not tested this save/load method on other GB/C games, but I don't see why it wouldn't work on other games.

In the process of getting GB/C saves to work correctly, I've also found a seemingly hidden emulation speed-up feature for GB/C games. I've not read about a built-in speed up feature anywhere, nor is the hotkey combination listed anywhere in the menu, but I somehow managed to find one. The speed-up function will toggle between emulating a GB/C game at 2x speed, 0.5x speed, and standard speed. The button combination to toggle different emulation speeds is L+Start. Note that this only works for GB/C games. Pressing that L+Start hotkey combo while playing a GBA game won't do anything. It has not been tested on the other game formats the Revo K101+ is capable of emulating.

I'm in the process of figuring out a clear and concise way to get cheat codes to work (specifically, custom .CHT files - not the ones included in the archive from the Revo team). I'll have more to say on that once I understand a bit more how the Revo handles things.

Cheers!

John Gotts

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I received my unit today and my initial impression is extremely positive.

I would like to see something corrected in the review. The compatible battery is the BL-5B, not BL-58. Ashens was confused about this in his Youtube video, and I would like to see the issue put to rest. There is no such thing as a BL-58 battery.

I ordered two backup 1400 milliampere-hour BL-5B compatible batteries with an external charger. I like to go on long trips (canoeing, backpacking) with no electricity and each one of these batteries has around double the capacity of the standard battery. I will report back within the next year with how well this worked out for me. I'm somewhat worried about the screw getting stripped out, but we'll see.

aarrgus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Revo K101+ came in the mail about 3 weeks ago. I really love the thing and I've figured out how to make GB/C games save & load properly. This thread's original post makes mention of the Revo K101+ having issues with Game Boy & Game Boy Color saves. The multitude of videos I've watched (from the official Revo/K1GBA YouTube channel and various owners of the Revo K101+) and things I've read did not work on my console for some reason. I'm talking about the hotkey combinations to save and load games (*+Start and *+Select). Those combos only ever worked ONCE for me. After a couple days messing around, I've been able to find a way to have GB/C games save and load properly. I should mention that I bought the Revo K101+ for the sole purpose of Pokemon rom hacks and therefore the only successful GB/C save/load method I've found has been tested on the original GB/C Pokemon games and various GB/C Pokemon rom hacks.

Here's how I'm getting GB/C games to save & load correctly:
  1. Save my progress using in-game menu
  2. Bring up the Configuration Menu by pressing L+R simultaneously
  3. Scroll down to "Manage SRAM -->"
  4. Press Select to erase SRAM
  5. Press *+L and choose "Return to file list"
Using those exact steps, I've been able to make Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, and numerous rom hacks of those games properly and safely save & load. As mentioned above, I bought this device for Pokemon rom hacks. I've not tested this save/load method on other GB/C games, but I don't see why it wouldn't work on other games.

In the process of getting GB/C saves to work correctly, I've also found a seemingly hidden emulation speed-up feature for GB/C games. I've not read about a built-in speed up feature anywhere, nor is the hotkey combination listed anywhere in the menu, but I somehow managed to find one. The speed-up function will toggle between emulating a GB/C game at 2x speed, 0.5x speed, and standard speed. The button combination to toggle different emulation speeds is L+Start. Note that this only works for GB/C games. Pressing that L+Start hotkey combo while playing a GBA game won't do anything. It has not been tested on the other game formats the Revo K101+ is capable of emulating.

I'm in the process of figuring out a clear and concise way to get cheat codes to work (specifically, custom .CHT files - not the ones included in the archive from the Revo team). I'll have more to say on that once I understand a bit more how the Revo handles things.

Cheers!

Others may have stated it, but there is a somewhat simpler way to ensure GB and GBC the saves work.

I use Pokemon Blue as my example since that's what I've been playing and trying to use the save.

1. Save the game normally
2. Hit L+R
3. Select Exit

Selecting exit will return you to the title screen of the game, and it must cause the game to finally permanently dump the sav file from the volatile memory to the save file.

wprpalmeida

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
so... they "forgot" my replacement unit for the last White model batch and now I should get one when the crystal black units arrive... they need to sort these customer service issues, because they have a very good product in hand
I finally got my replacement. They sent me a crystal blue unit, which was not what I ordered, but hey, at least it's here. Also, it's quite good looking and more GBA-esque.

I'm playing through Minish Cap again, but I noticed some textures getting corrupted here and there. As I'm not home, I can't really test anything such as another ROM, trying to run it unzipped, change the SD card etc. Has anyone ever experienced this? The game runs completely fine, even in the garbled areas, it just makes it difficult to make sense of what's happening

N64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can anyone confirm whether Revo K101's GBC emulator allows trading/battling in pokemon R/B/Y/G/S/C?

aarrgus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am pretty sure you cannot do a trade in GB/GBC mode on the unit.

From what I understand Goomba Color (the emulator used for GB/GBC games on the Revo K101) cannot initiate a link. To make a trade between GB/GBC games on a PC you have to take the .sav file off of the memory card, assemble the game into a gba rom, import the "battery file" (the .sav file) using VBA, extract out the base save data, then load the save file in an emulator that supports linking.

Last edited by aarrgus,

N64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are dead wrong. Trading works fine between gb/gbc and the revo k101 (plus and original).

first hand experience doing this? I want to make sure before I spend any money to buy one. if its not a first hand experience can you show me some evidence?

N64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are several dozen videos on you tube of this. Oh god today's gamers have gotten ultra lazy.

lol. show me ONE piece of evidence. I've searched youtube and all I found were reviews. out of which absolutely ZERO of them cover link cable functions from within the gameboy color emulator.

aarrgus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cannot find any evidence of this either, but for all I know I could be wrong. I have also watched dozens of videos on the K101 and none of them address GB/GBC linking.

What I have done is I attempted to use a GBA 4 player link with a GBA SP and a physical Pokemon Red cart with the Revo K101 Plus with a Pokemon Blue ROM and they could not link.

Caveats: I do not have two Revo K101 to test this on. I am using a Nyko 4 player link, not a GB/GBC 2 player link. I haven't tried this with my GBC (which I cannot locate at the moment).

Last edited by aarrgus,
Reactions: N64

N64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cannot find any evidence of this either, but for all I know I could be wrong. I have also watched dozens of videos on the K101 and none of them address GB/GBC linking.

What I have done is I attempted to use a GBA 4 player link with a GBA SP and a physical Pokemon Red cart with the Revo K101 Plus with a Pokemon Blue ROM and they could not link.

Caveats: I do not have two Revo K101 to test this on. I am using a Nyko 4 player link, not a GB/GBC 2 player link. I haven't tried this with my GBC (which I cannot locate at the moment).

thanks, this is what I needed to know. this tells me that GBC linkage is NOT available, although NES linkage is (which @chartube12 will be happy to hear I found on youtube before he ragequit)

brendand

Trophies
XP
Country
Seems like a pretty good handheld so far very little issues have not used the kcard yet but homebrew & pirate carts don't have the compatibility rate of genuine gba games

the one on the left seems to boot and play ! but the one on the right seems to boot and crash as soon as you click the game title

Attachments

• P4030068.JPG
    P4030068.JPG
    237.1 KB · Views: 522

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi +1