What a Digital Dummy!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I know the question has been brought up one million times that "Can I get 4 brightness on my phat if I use flashme!?!?" and only the newest phats have that chip that allows it.

My question is, in the case of one game, Viewtiful Joe Double Trouble. How is it that in this game's option menu it gives the DS Phat THREE count it, THREE, brightness settings? Doesn't this defy the chip statement?

People with a phat should try it to know what I mean, go get Viewtiful Joe Double Trouble and go in options.

I just want a simple answer to my question since it seems to defy what people have said.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maybe the lowest one is with backlight completely off?
It is, but that still doesn't rule out the fact that it is still 1 more setting that the original phat firmware never had. What I am saying is, if a game can add more brightness settings than the original firmware, couldn't there be a simple homebrew program that emulates the "options" screen of Viewtiful Joe just increase the brightness to lite levels. This has already proven that there can be more than the simple two, on and off, light settings so now with that knowledge people can experiment on what makes this particular game able to do something so odd and maybe incorporate it into a later release of flashme?

Primworm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are indeed two settings other than light off(which is the third setting). you make a good point, but I dont know that its possible to do, as far as getting to lite levels. But it could be used to take advantage of the dimmer option, and extend battery life.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
I know the question has been brought up one million times that "Can I get 4 brightness on my phat if I use flashme!?!?" and only the newest phats have that chip that allows it.

My question is, in the case of one game, Viewtiful Joe Double Trouble. How is it that in this game's option menu it gives the DS Phat THREE count it, THREE, brightness settings? Doesn't this defy the chip statement?

People with a phat should try it to know what I mean, go get Viewtiful Joe Double Trouble and go in options.

I just want a simple answer to my question since it seems to defy what people have said.

Game contrast and brightness are used to give the effect of brighter/darker.

azotyp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
I had ds phat with m3 simply and the lowest is turning light off, can be anoying if you lose that light button without light and dont renember exacly where it is
tongue.gif

D

Deleted User

There's a function to set gamebrightness in the Nintendo SDK since the beginning. I guess it's just a basic software filter for brightness/constrast nothing hardware.

betawind

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There's a function to set gamebrightness in the Nintendo SDK since the beginning. I guess it's just a basic software filter for brightness/constrast nothing hardware.

Could there be a homebrew to take advantage of this so we could have dimmer light options?

Doubtful. The function is probably going to be just for the rom in use, so you may be able to program it into homebrew applications, but the brightness setting would be lost once you tried to load an actual game.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
couldn't there be a simple homebrew program that emulates the "options" screen of Viewtiful Joe just increase the brightness to lite levels.
I don't know about adding more backlight levels to the phat, but even if you did I don't think you could make it look as bright as a Lite.

The DS Lite uses a different type of LCD screen than the phat. The one on the phat is reflective, making it viewable without the backlight. The screen on the lite is not reflective, making it almost impossible to see without the backlight even in direct summer sunlight.

I'm not sure about this, but I'm guessing that the phat's reflective screen reflects light from both directions, thus making the backlight less effective.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
couldn't there be a simple homebrew program that emulates the "options" screen of Viewtiful Joe just increase the brightness to lite levels.
I don't know about adding more backlight levels to the phat, but even if you did I don't think you could make it look as bright as a Lite.

The DS Lite uses a different type of LCD screen than the phat. The one on the phat is reflective, making it viewable without the backlight. The screen on the lite is not reflective, making it almost impossible to see without the backlight even in direct summer sunlight.

I'm not sure about this, but I'm guessing that the phat's reflective screen reflects light from both directions, thus making the backlight less effective.
I seriously could not disagree more. Do you have a phat? Because it sounds like you don't. I have no idea where you are getting this reflective screen stuff as I can't see my phat's screen with no backlight even if the sun was two feet away from me. The phat does not have a reflective screen. And if it does, it isn't what you described.

kellyan95

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I seriously could not disagree more. Do you have a phat? Because it sounds like you don't. I have no idea where you are getting this reflective screen stuff as I can't see my phat's screen with no backlight even if the sun was two feet away from me. The phat does not have a reflective screen. And if it does, it isn't what you described.

I had 3 phats, pretty sure they were transreflective. You need to angle the screen right.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Do you have a phat?
The phat does not have a reflective screen. And if it does, it isn't what you described.
I did have a phat before the Lite came out. It had two backlight settings: on, and off. With the backlight off, you could see the screen, but it was very dark. About the same as the original GBA. Like the original GBA, you needed direct sunlight to see the screen well.

With the backlight off, the screen on my DS Lite is far darker than the screen on my phat was.

Edit: After a bit of research, it seems that the phat has a "semitransparent reflective TFT color LCD", while the lite has a "transmissive TFT color LCD".

paul1991

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that before Lick left the DS coding scene, he released a little demo that flashed the backling on and off so quickly that it appeared to be dimmed.

It might be similar.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
In Viewtiful Joe all the lower brightness setting does is make the in game image darker, and it has nothing to do with the backlight brightness.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    there is a plugin that display them on the wii u menu, pretty sure it is enabled by default
  • crafthp434 @ crafthp434:
    so like it doesnt exist
    yeah
    ?
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    it doesn't exist, at least not for aroma
    ohhhhh
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    on tiramisu you can access it by opening mii maker
    okay
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I don't have a wii u anymore to test it myself, but if homebrews are not visible on the wii u menu I think you can press L + R + minus to open the plugin menu, there should be an option called "homebrews on wii u menu" or something similar
    nope
    it is L+dpad down+ select
    but homebrew is appearing in the home menu btw
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    yes, now I remember it
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    then it is working, I also don't like that they did this but it is the only option you have if you are using aroma
    i just didint know the homebrew launcher didint exist in aroma
    thanks btw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Im downloading fallout 3 goty edition
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm downloading more ram for my hamster pc
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    New hamster PC, with anal operation and BT connectivity!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, How do I make enemies respawn on gdevelop after
    the player dies?
    Carrying a PC or phone is so old school!
    Squeeze your cheeks twice to answer calls!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty you can use a "spawner" function on any object.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or when your player dies, you can say in code, if enemy exists, do nothing, but if enemy does not exist, then create enemy at certain spot. (This would be a pain tho for lots of emeies)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Easiest, simple way would be just restart scene, but player would restart from beginning.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Easiest, simple way would be just restart scene, but player would restart from beginning.