Hacking 4.3U virgin Wii with bad optical drive

Brent72

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm tasked with softmodding a wii for a friend, and I discover that they have already upgraded to 4.3U. I try using the Indy Jones exploit with an original game disc to get the softmod going, and I'm getting disc read error with grinding sounds from the drive... not good. Drive must have been damaged during shipping to me. Kinda stuck now. Options? I might temporarily install a donor optical drive from a working wii, perform the softmod, then put their bad drive back in, letting them play only off HDD. Or maybe buy a broken wii off ebay which had a "good" optical drive. My question here is, do I need to worry about which model of dvd drive to buy? Are there compatibility issues, or do I have to buy the same exact model that is currently installed? I'm referring to D2A, D2B, etc etc. I don't care about playing burned games... a USB HD will be used. I'm just concerned about drive compatibility.

Finally, is there any way to downgrade a virgin 4.3U console WITHOUT running a smash bros or Indy Jones original disc exploit? Just wondering if anybody figured out a way to do this yet, or if I'm stuck with having to replace this dvd drive. Thanks in advance.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: well.. Sorta new :)