• Replies 53,782
  • Likes 43

fatherjack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi@all

I am a complete newcomer to 3DS and have just snagged on Ebay an o3DS XL running on 4.2.0-9E firmware.
Its currently 'in the post' and I have been reading sooooo much my heads frazzled!

Basically wanna run backups, preferably direct from the homescreen / menu without a flashcard if possible?
What should I do / not do when it arrives? a point in the direction of a step-by-step noobproof tut would be great

Would it be easier simply to get a gateway / SKY3DS+ ?
any help appreciated

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I looked at the downgrading guide ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/noob-fr...g-your-3ds-from-10-4-10-5-10-6-to-9-2.418125/ ) and I don't have "10.6 with Ninjhax/OOThax" Isn't that required?
Yeah you need CN or OoT since browserhax was blocked in 10.6. Didn't you say you had a Sky3DS though? You can put Cubic Ninja on it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hi@all

I am a complete newcomer to 3DS and have just snagged on Ebay an o3DS XL running on 4.2.0-9E firmware.
Its currently 'in the post' and I have been reading sooooo much my heads frazzled!

Basically wanna run backups, preferably direct from the homescreen / menu without a flashcard if possible?
What should I do / not do when it arrives? a point in the direction of a step-by-step noobproof tut would be great

Would it be easier simply to get a gateway / SKY3DS+ ?
any help appreciated

Last edited by Quantumcat,

460cidpower

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a SKY3DS+, yes. So basically I just use the SKY3DS to fake being the Cubic Ninja cart and install http://smealum.net/ninjhax/?

Yeah you need CN or OoT since browserhax was blocked in 10.6. Didn't you say you had a Sky3DS though? You can put Cubic Ninja on it.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Im looking for a thread that explains sysnand/emunand and where FBI installs to when choosing sd/nand. Could anyone help me find it?
There is a really good diagram somewhere but I'll try and explain with words.

SysNAND's 'NAND' is on the console's memory, and emuNAND's 'NAND' is in the partition on the SD card. The only files that should be there are system files and saves for things like activity log. Everything else should be on the SD card. Both emuNAND and sysNAND can access these files.

When you launch FBI on sysNAND and you choose NAND, you are installing to the console itself. When you launch FBI on emuNAND and you choose NAND, you are installing to the partition on the SD card. In both cases you should only do this for system files, never for games or apps.

I have a SKY3DS+, yes. So basically I just use the SKY3DS to fake being the Cubic Ninja cart and install http://smealum.net/ninjhax/?
Yep

Reactions: naivegirl2411

Sutenvulf

Trophies
XP
Country
No, the guide should set you up with either Cakes or AuReinand.
Ok, one final question, what would you or anyone else suggest between the two? obviously a bit of a noob so according to the guide the latter would be the preferred for said noob? (just a note that I installed cakes on another N3DS before I dropped it and damaged the screen without issue), main goal being to install .cia games and run a snes emu of course.

Thanks for the responses, very much appreciated.

Soohoo05

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have 9.2 sysnand and 10.6 emunand and i am trying to install smash bros and pokemon omega ruby (on usa 3ds) but i am having trouble. I currently have both fbi and nasa on my sd card, fbi freezes after map complete (tried mayb 20 times) and nasa starts lets me choose the folder where my files are but goes to a screen that tells me to shut off the 3ds and that an error has occured. Help is appreciated

Aeth-r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone have the update CIA file for Animal Crossing New Leaf USA? I can't seem to find an update for it in CIA form.

sdhdok

Trophies
XP
Country
So I'm a complete noobie to all this but I really need to know something important. I have a NEW3ds on firmware 9.2.0-20E (with nothing else done to it cause I don't know what I'm doing) and I just purchased a Sky3DS+. I'm wondering if I should just upgrade to the latest firmware so I can play the latest games on sky3ds or if I should do something else with the 9.2.0-20E firmware and sky3ds.

thedude28

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, one final question, what would you or anyone else suggest between the two? obviously a bit of a noob so according to the guide the latter would be the preferred for said noob? (just a note that I installed cakes on another N3DS before I dropped it and damaged the screen without issue), main goal being to install .cia games and run a snes emu of course.

Thanks for the responses, very much appreciated.

Both CFWs are the same in terms of functionality.

Does anyone have the update CIA file for Animal Crossing New Leaf USA? I can't seem to find an update for it in CIA form.

We can't give you that here.

So I'm a complete noobie to all this but I really need to know something important. I have a NEW3ds on firmware 9.2.0-20E (with nothing else done to it cause I don't know what I'm doing) and I just purchased a Sky3DS+. I'm wondering if I should just upgrade to the latest firmware so I can play the latest games on sky3ds or if I should do something else with the 9.2.0-20E firmware and sky3ds.

You can get CFW with that 3DS.

sdhdok

Trophies
XP
Country
Both CFWs are the same in terms of functionality.

We can't give you that here.

You can get CFW with that 3DS.

I'm not exactly sure what a cfw is.The thing is though. I already have the sky3ds and from what I understand it's very simple to use. Simply drag and drop. I wonder if I could simply install the thing that makes the 3ds think it's on the latest firmware without updating it and then using sky3ds.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I'm not exactly sure what a cfw is.The thing is though. I already have the sky3ds and from what I understand it's very simple to use. Simply drag and drop. I wonder if I could simply install the thing that makes the 3ds think it's on the latest firmware without updating it and then using sky3ds.
Don't update!
Sky3DS will let you play games that came as cartridges only. No eShop games, no homebrew, no emulators, no virtual console, no helpful utilities.

CFW will let you play ANYTHING. If you are capable of following instructions and have a day to kill, find Plailect's guide to install arm9loaderhax (skip the downgrading to 9.2 part since you're already on 9.2). You can still use your Sky3DS if you want (maybe you want to just try a game out and not install it to your home menu) or you could sell it and not lose anything.

Just setting up plain ReiNand is theoretically simpler and faster but would require you to find info and files from different sources and actually understand what you're doing. Whereas the Plailect guide has links to all the files you need and explains every step in detail so all you need to do is follow the instructions precisely and you can't go wrong. Plus, arm9loaderhax is the superior hax right now (you can keep your 3DS updated and pretty much forget you are even running a CFW).

sdhdok

Trophies
XP
Country
Don't update!
Sky3DS will let you play games that came as cartridges only. No eShop games, no homebrew, no emulators, no virtual console, no helpful utilities.

CFW will let you play ANYTHING. If you are capable of following instructions and have a day to kill, find Plailect's guide to install arm9loaderhax (skip the downgrading to 9.2 part since you're already on 9.2). You can still use your Sky3DS if you want (maybe you want to just try a game out and not install it to your home menu) or you could sell it and not lose anything.

Just setting up plain ReiNand is theoretically simpler and faster but would require you to find info and files from different sources and actually understand what you're doing. Whereas the Plailect guide has links to all the files you need and explains every step in detail so all you need to do is follow the instructions precisely and you can't go wrong. Plus, arm9loaderhax is the superior hax right now (you can keep your 3DS updated and pretty much forget you are even running a CFW).

I'm going to level with you. I've actually tried installing a Cfw twice before. I failed miserably twice because I couldn't install any games. No matter what I tried it wouldn't work. So basically I want to keep the option open for now (not update my firmware if I don't have to) and just use sky3ds I'm fine with just the retail games.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently following the AuReiNAND guide.

On this page it says:
"If you followed an old version of this guide that did not include Updated SysNAND and want to switch to Updated SysNAND + AuReiNAND, just restore your SysNAND from a pre-arm9loaderhax SysNAND backup and follow all of this Part.
If you currently have Updated SysNAND + Cakes and want to switch to Updated SysNAND + AuReiNAND, just follow "Preparatory work"."
I've been following the guide up till then so which steps am I supposed to do after section Preparatory Work? Should I just keep going?

LiquidAudacity

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently following the AuReiNAND guide.

On this page it says:
"If you followed an old version of this guide that did not include Updated SysNAND and want to switch to Updated SysNAND + AuReiNAND, just restore your SysNAND from a pre-arm9loaderhax SysNAND backup and follow all of this Part.
If you currently have Updated SysNAND + Cakes and want to switch to Updated SysNAND + AuReiNAND, just follow "Preparatory work"."
I've been following the guide up till then so which steps am I supposed to do after section Preparatory Work? Should I just keep going?
If you haven't used that guide before then you can just ignore it

HariGp

Trophies
XP
Country
India
1. I tried doing this and it worked in autobooting emuNAND but it made me get a black screen when I tried to open the Homebrew Laun
2. I tried installing custom themes in emuNAND but it caused me to lose Menuhax which left me unable to get to emuNAND.
If you try to launch homebrew from emuNAND, then it will try to open boot.3dsx again(which is rxTools), so it will just black out. Lol you can't open rxTools in rxTools :P You have to change your payload to find something else, like boom.3dsx :)

If that's happening, then your NANDs are linked. You will know if you have one random-numbers-and-letters-folders in the 'Nintendo 3ds' folder in your SD, that they're still linked. If you have two, then they're unlinked.

Reactions: Real_Redwolf

Pluupy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you haven't used that guide before then you can just ignore it
I don't understand what you mean. I've completed the guide up till then and still haven't retrieved all of my purchased digital games and whatnot so there must be stuff i'm missing. I just don't know which part of that page I should be proceeding with.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I don't understand what you mean. I've completed the guide up till then and still haven't retrieved all of my purchased digital games and whatnot so there must be stuff i'm missing. I just don't know which part of that page I should be proceeding with.
Just ignore that section. It is for people that previously installed a9lh when the guide was different and now want to switch stuff. You haven't finished setting it up yet so you have to do everything.

Pluupy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just ignore that section. It is for people that previously installed a9lh when the guide was different and now want to switch stuff. You haven't finished setting it up yet so you have to do everything.
I did all the things but when I to the part where I need to enter decrypt9 nothing happens. The guide says to "reboot and open Decrypt9 from arm9loaderhax by holding L+R on boot". I do it, but I just have a black screen. Nothing happens.

I went into the troubleshooting page and my 3DS checks out. I even downloaded their troubleshooting arm9loaderhax.bin file and my 3DS turns off when I press A using that one.

It only gives black screen if I hold L+R. I can let it boot by itself and it loads my 3DS's file from before I started the guide just fine. (with FBI as my health and safety program)

What could be wrong with it?

Last edited by Pluupy,

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did all the things but when I to the part where I need to enter decrypt9 nothing happens. The guide says to "reboot and open Decrypt9 from arm9loaderhax by holding L+R on boot". I do it, but I just have a black screen. Nothing happens.

I went into the troubleshooting page and my 3DS checks out. I even downloaded their troubleshooting arm9loaderhax.bin file and my 3DS turns off when I press A using that one.

It only gives black screen if I hold L+R. I can let it boot by itself and it loads my 3DS's file from before I started the guide just fine. (with FBI as my health and safety program)

What could be wrong with it?
1. Download this:
https://github.com/d0k3/Decrypt9WIP/releases/download/20160309/Decrypt9WIP-20160309-160637.zip
2. Take the .bin file within the zip and rename it to arm9payload.bin.
3. Place arm9payload.bin into the rei folder in the root of your sd card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries