• Replies 53,774
  • Likes 43

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Could someone please help me with a small explanation of the bricking scandal? So much information is scattered across so many different threads that it's almost impossible to follow.
Short Version:
The GW launcher.dat 2.0b2 seems to contain code that can f-up the 3DS memory chip, as of yet without a known way to repair it, although it seems that there will be no software only fix for sure.

It is reported to trigger especially when using modified versions of said launcher (like the cloners (r4i, 3dslink, orange) or the region free patch), I'm aware of fifty-ish reports so far strewn across different boards of bricked 3DS's from users who claim to have used a modified launcher.

GW released a statement that it is save to use as long as one doesn't modify it, but there have been reports (one here, one in the official support forum, one in a spanish forum) from users who claim to have run into bricks using the official version.

Current debate/speculation topics (besides the usual bitching and moaning) are:
  • if the code is there on purpose (cloning deterrent) or if it's a unintended leftover (GW mentioned they tried a way to prevent accidental updates but had to pull it because it caused bricks)
  • if GW is justified in bricking end user consoles on purpose
  • how likely it is to brick ones 3DS (is it safe to run modified? is it safe to run unmodified?)

The only real consensus is that GW 2.0b1/ r4i 3.3b are safe, so you might want to switch to one of them, although some (me included) stay with 2.0b2 (can't help it, am a thrill seeker)

You might want to read some of the threads none the less, some are quite entertaining and popcorn worthy.

Reactions: RikuCrafter

RikuCrafter

Trophies
XP
Country
Short Version:
The GW launcher.dat 2.0b2 seems to contain code that can f-up the 3DS memory chip, as of yet without a known way to repair it, although it seems that there will be no software only fix for sure.

It is reported to trigger especially when using modified versions of said launcher (like the cloners (r4i, 3dslink, orange) or the region free patch), I'm aware of fifty-ish reports so far strewn across different boards of bricked 3DS's from users who claim to have used a modified launcher.

GW released a statement that it is save to use as long as one doesn't modify it, but there have been reports (one here, one in the official support forum, one in a spanish forum) from users who claim to have run into bricks using the official version.

Current debate/speculation topics (besides the usual bitching and moaning) are:
  • if the code is there on purpose (cloning deterrent) or if it's a unintended leftover (GW mentioned they tried a way to prevent accidental updates but had to pull it because it caused bricks)
  • if GW is justified in bricking end user consoles on purpose
  • how likely it is to brick ones 3DS (is it safe to run modified? is it safe to run unmodified?)

The only real consensus is that GW 2.0b1/ r4i 3.3b are safe, so you might want to switch to one of them, although some (me included) stay with 2.0b2 (can't help it, am a thrill seeker)

You might want to read some of the threads none the less, some are quite entertaining and popcorn worthy.
Good man, thank you so much. The bitching and moaning are what keep the Temp active!

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
There is a thread up of someone asking how to save games with gateway.
I also got my GW a couple days ago and I am also playing zelda; I saved several times already in the "normal" way and nothing strange happened, since I didn't know better. Could someone explain to me what is the advantage of doing the home->X to close process after saving? And why could I save and turn off the 3DS several times without losing progress? Was I just lucky?

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone on emunand with GW 2.0b1 or 2.0b2 test for me whether Parental controls are functional? Thanks in Advance.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Could someone explain to me what is the advantage of doing the home->X to close process after saving? And why could I save and turn off the 3DS several times without losing progress? Was I just lucky?
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_hacking_faq#Saves
It should answer most of your questions you can have regarding the save games.

Can someone on emunand with GW 2.0b1 or 2.0b2 test for me whether Parental controls are functional? Thanks in Advance.
On EmuNAND, it might depends which version you are using.
2.0b1 is working with EmuNAND up to v6.3.0
2.0b1 is not working correctly with v7.0.0+

I don't know if parental control works as expected, I never used it.

Reactions: Steena

BigGamerz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How does one go about downgrading their gateway version, just to be on the bit safe side?

I want to downgrade to 1.2 from 2.0b2 because I have received two gateway cards.

The first one seemed to have the card has been removed error a lot on 2.0b1. It tried to degrade it at the time ( end of December before 2.0b2) and then it stopped reading games. Sent it to RMA as defective which they found the red card to be.

Now I have a new one that has been working for 2.0b2 and I've been able to play 20 so hours of SMTIV. But hearing all these news, might wanna be on the safe side for now because people are talking about all these kill codes and things. However, I want to make sure I don't make the card defective or if that was even the cause in the first place.

D

Deleted User

So I've tried to cobble together pieces from the FAQ and such, but want to confirm I'm going about this in the right way.

1. I purchased a 3DSXL over the holiday that happens to be on OS 4.5.0-10, along with 3 games.
2. If I pop the games in, I get a notification that the OS needs to be updated (Zelda Between Worlds asks to install 6.2)
3. If I want to run these games from a flashcard, is that possible? (Gateway 3DS was suggested, but also read reports on bricks)
4. Are the flashcards just creating an emunand, similar to Sneek for the Wii?
5. Can I use the GW3DS to load rom images of the games? Or will I need to swap in the original?

Sorry if this is a totally newbish question, but I'm afraid of ruining something in the progress.
I'm pretty well-versed in the Wii world, but the 3DS in a different beast to me, and I've never used flash carts before.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So I've tried to cobble together pieces from the FAQ and such, but want to confirm I'm going about this in the right way.

1. I purchased a 3DSXL over the holiday that happens to be on OS 4.5.0-10, along with 3 games.
2. If I pop the games in, I get a notification that the OS needs to be updated (Zelda Between Worlds asks to install 6.2)
3. If I want to run these games from a flashcard, is that possible? (Gateway 3DS was suggested, but also read reports on bricks)
4. Are the flashcards just creating an emunand, similar to Sneek for the Wii?
5. Can I use the GW3DS to load rom images of the games? Or will I need to swap in the original?

Sorry if this is a totally newbish question, but I'm afraid of ruining something in the progress.
I'm pretty well-versed in the Wii world, but the 3DS in a different beast to me, and I've never used flash carts before.

3. Yeah, with the 2.0 Beta 2 launcher. You should buy a GW3DS for that.
4. I don't have a Wii, sorry
5. You can use ROM images.

D

Deleted User

Thanks! I know I saw a thread somewhere but I'm mobile at the moment.

Is there a recommended site to purchase the gateway? I'm not really concerned with price, just availability and good service

So I should be okay on. 4.5-10. Not sure if the 10 mattered, and I should hold off the games until I get the cart correct?

toge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've just tried to put 3.3b on my r4i 3ds deluxe. when i try to use the exploit after hitting ds profile, it doesn't work, just a blank screen and then goes back to my normal start screen. any help? thanks

edit: holding L whilst clicking on ds profile doesn't do anything either

3ds not bricked.

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
I've just tried to put 3.3b on my r4i 3ds deluxe. when i try to use the exploit after hitting ds profile, it doesn't work, just a blank screen and then goes back to my normal start screen. any help? thanks

3ds not bricked.

3.3b is based off the 1.2 firmware, so it should do exactly as your describing, it reboots the console back to the main menu in Gateway mode.

Reactions: toge

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
edit:
nevermind :P
my mistake.

Edit2:
For users who still have questions, I'm trying to maintain Wiki pages with lot of informations.
It's still not fully completed as it's taking time to write them, but you can check the current pages:

Flashcart comparison chart (currently contains GW changelog too, until I create the GW page)
R4i software revision/changelog/features list (will make other flashcart's page when I have time)
What's working or not, for each available software version (I will move that info to another page later)

and of course, the usual 3DS flashcart's FAQ

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
Is there a mirror of 3.0? As it's a copy of a "safe" version

It's not on there anymore, but I still have it on my computer if you want a link to it. Just be warned that this version is very buggy, and you might lose saves...

Let me know if you want it in a response and I can PM you the link.

toge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's not on there anymore, but I still have it on my computer if you want a link to it. Just be warned that this version is very buggy, and you might lose saves...

Let me know if you want it in a response and I can PM you the link.
please upload, thank you

D

Deleted User

3. Yeah, with the 2.0 Beta 2 launcher. You should buy a GW3DS for that.
4. I don't have a Wii, sorry

5. You can use ROM images.

Out of curiosity, I'm looking into purchasing the GW3DS, however the description differs on a couple sites.

One says 4.1-4.5 (which I understand is the exploitable system), one says just 4.5 and testing on 6?

4.1-4.5 = http://www.modchipsdirect.com/gateway-3ds.html
4.5 only = https://www.modchipcentral.com/store/Gateway-3DS-USA-CANADA.html

I'm currently sitting on 4.2-9U.

Will either work and are just mistitled, or is there a better site I should be purchasing from?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: the voices inside my head