• Likes 43

Kelkador

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2 questions about NAND dumping,

1. Is it possible to dump a 3ds NAND to a 3ds Xl NAND?

2. Is it able to cross region dump? (For example, NTSC NAND dumped onto a Japanese Hardware.)

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

2. Is it able to cross region dump? (For example, NTSC NAND dumped onto a Japanese Hardware.)

No, as NAND is encrypted with your 3ds's key. Writing your 3ds's NAND to another system wouldnt work, as it would fail to boot.

Edit: Unless, of course, we manage to figure out how to dump keys, decrypt NAND, and rencrypt with the other system's key. That might work.

ATypicalSe7en

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

To answer both your question, No. A NAND is like a specific ID of a 3DS console and cannot currently be cross transfer in anyway.

naughty_cat

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Hi everyone! I have a few questions, and this seems to be the right thread, since I'm completely new to the 3DS scene. My brother got a 3DS about 5 days ago, and I was hoping to help him with a few things.

1- The firmware of his 3DS is lower than 4.5 (4.3 or something). We still don't have any flash cards (we ordered it, but it's still on the way). If he connects it to the internet, is it possible that Nintendo would force an update?

2- If an update will not be forced, and connecting to the internet is safe.. Can he play a retail game online without updating? (Currently he only has Mario Cart 7)

3- At first I ordered an R4i Gold Deluxe, though I regreted this due to reports of bricked consoles because of cloned launcher files (not that official Gateway is 100% safe, though I'm hoping they'll remove the brick code in future updates).. so I ended up ordering a Gateway 3DS card as well. Now the R4i will be delivered to our door tomorrow, but the Gateway will take about a month, or more to get here. I was wondering, if for the time being my brother would start using the R4 card used for playing classic NDS games (Which I guess is wood kernel (?)), without touching the other one (The Gateway clone).. would this be safe? Can any conflict result from using wood kernel R4, then using the Gateway 3DS card?? Is there any possibility for bricking?

inuyasha555

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi everyone! I have a few questions, and this seems to be the right thread, since I'm completely new to the 3DS scene. My brother got a 3DS about 5 days ago, and I was hoping to help him with a few things.

1- The firmware of his 3DS is lower than 4.5 (4.3 or something). We still don't have any flash cards (we ordered it, but it's still on the way). If he connects it to the internet, is it possible that Nintendo would force an update?

2- If an update will not be forced, and connecting to the internet is safe.. Can he play a retail game online without updating? (Currently he only has Mario Cart 7)

3- At first I ordered an R4i Gold Deluxe, though I regreted this due to reports of bricked consoles because of cloned launcher files (not that official Gateway is 100% safe, though I'm hoping they'll remove the brick code in future updates).. so I ended up ordering a Gateway 3DS card as well. Now the R4i will be delivered to our door tomorrow, but the Gateway will take about a month, or more to get here. I was wondering, if for the time being my brother would start using the R4 card used for playing classic NDS games (Which I guess is wood kernel (?)), without touching the other one (The Gateway clone).. would this be safe? Can any conflict result from using wood kernel R4, then using the Gateway 3DS card?? Is there any possibility for bricking?

1. They don't force updates, it always asks you before and of course you can say no.
2. You can't update the regular NAND, it has to stay from 4.1-4.5. You could however use the emuNAND feature which is basically a second NAND on your SD card to update safely to the latest firmware and classic mode to play your retail carts.
3. The bricking is dependent on the firmware you use. It looks like the latest R4 firmware is a copy of an old 2.0 update which DOES NOT have the bricking code in it so it's safe to use.

naughty_cat

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
2. You can't update the regular NAND, it has to stay from 4.1-4.5. You could however use the emuNAND feature which is basically a second NAND on your SD card to update safely to the latest firmware and classic mode to play your retail carts.

So you're saying an update is required to play them online?

3. The bricking is dependent on the firmware you use. It looks like the latest R4 firmware is a copy of an old 2.0 update which DOES NOT have the bricking code in it so it's safe to use.

I know that, but what if in the future I use Gateway card firmware 2.0b2, would this cause problems if I use the R4 NDS wood kernel along with it?? I mean anyway, one way or another I'm never using R4 clone for 3DS games, just to stay safe. I only want to know about the other card, especially that I heard that it even has a slightly better compatibility with games than the Gateway blue card.

inuyasha555

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So you're saying an update is required to play them online?

I know that, but what if in the future I use Gateway card firmware 2.0b2, would this cause problems if I use the R4 NDS wood kernel along with it?? I mean anyway, one way or another I'm never using R4 clone for 3DS games, just to stay safe. I only want to know about the other card, especially that I heard that it even has a slightly better compatibility with games than the Gateway blue card.

You need to be on the latest firmware to play online. At least for Mario Kart I can say for certain as you need the updates which requires going to the eshop.

The only time bricking will or can occur is when the launcher.dat file is loaded (system settings, nintendo ds profile, blah blah). If you wanted to use the blue or black DS flashcarts you can load them directly from 4.1-4.5 and be safe.

Reactions: naughty_cat

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, only replace the "Launcher.dat" file on your SD card.
It's not called a "firmware", it's only their software. (the firmware is what's inside the chipset, and there's no firmware update yet).

naughty_cat

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
You need to be on the latest firmware to play online. At least for Mario Kart I can say for certain as you need the updates which requires going to the eshop.

Now this is very interesting.. Is it possible to download updates for other roms? Now I know that it's only possible to play online with retail games, but not with roms.. though the updates can be useful for other things.. like additional levels or whatever.. so is it possible to update roms?

COLD_SNAKE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Mohamed said:
Now this is very interesting.. Is it possible to download updates for other roms? Now I know that it's only possible to play online with retail games, but not with roms.. though the updates can be useful for other things.. like additional levels or whatever.. so is it possible to update roms?

It is possible. You can download the updates through the eshop.

naughty_cat

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Thanks a lot! This is really great news.. (it's news for me!)

Thanks a lot! This is really great news.. (it's news for me!)

oops! Sorry for the repeated post!

*Posts merged*
Use the "Edit" link next time.

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Is it safe to use spotpass and do I need to set up wireless connection? If yes, where? I dont use EMUNAND.
Yes, using spotpass (as well as street-/homepass) is safe. The worst thing that can happen is that you catch the update files once the next firmware version is out and get the "update now?" nag screen every 24h.

Spotpass hotspots are found automatically, you only need to have wlan on the 3DS activated, you don't need wireless profiles set up.

edit: clarifiaction: the update download will happen to the nand you are running at the time.

Nokeo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone. I have a great save file here on my Pokemon Y cart. I'd love to be able to backup the save and start the game fresh. I'm not worried about transferring Pokemon between the two or anything else. I just want to know if I can backup the completed game file, start a new file and then if I need. Be able to go back into the backup save file and play from that one as well. Thanks in advance for any answers!

Pablo007

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yes, using spotpass (as well as street-/homepass) is safe. The worst thing that can happen is that you catch the update files once the next firmware version is out and get the "update now?" nag screen every 24h.

Spotpass hotspots are found automatically, you only need to have wlan on the 3DS activated, you don't need wireless profiles set up.

edit: clarifiaction: the update download will happen to the nand you are running at the time.

I dont get it? So I dont need Wireless setup (= means INTERNET-Connection) but I have to put Wireless on (but not connected to wlan)?? So If I dismiss the buttons, I willprobably do a update of my nand -> GW does not work anymore?

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I dont get it? So I dont need Wireless setup (= means INTERNET-Connection) but I have to put Wireless on (but not connected to wlan)?? So If I dismiss the buttons, I willprobably do a update of my nand -> GW does not work anymore?

Getting wireless internet connectivity on the 3DS is a two step process:
a) activating wireless communication in general (on the XL the switch is on the right top side of the lower half).
b) setting up a wifi profile (the connection settings like ssid, password, etc).

To use spotpass or streetpass you only need a): activating wireless connectivity in general (reason being official nintendo zones share common ssids and use no password and the 3DS connects to them even when no wireless profile (b) is set up).

and no matter if you use a wireless profile (e.g. your home wlan) or a nintendo zone open hotspot: once nintendo releases a firmware update, the 3DS will download it and ask you every 24h if you want to install it. You can get rid of this update data (as long as it's only downloaded, not installed) by doing a system format though (true for sysNAND as well as emuNAND).

the update is not applied automatically: once the screen "there is an update. do you want to install it?" plops up, you have to confirm twice, and only the first confirmation can be done by the A button, the second one has to be clicked on the touch screen (quite hard to happen by accident).

Reactions: Pablo007

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'm starting to sound like a Tck Gonna cut myself off.