• Likes 43

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
I asked in the flash cart comparison thread. I said that R4i has cheats for 3ds, but the gateway didn't. Somebody then said that there was. Maybe they thought I was asking about 2ds games, then.

The card that plays DS ROMs that comes with the R4i can use cheats, but there is no possible way, at all, to cheat on 3DS (2DS included) games at this time.

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's not the exploit that does anything, it's apparently just the newer launcher. If you wanna keep playing 3DS games, excluding a few newer one's, go grab an older firmware.
Do I just switch the launcher.dat inside the microsd with that of a different version to do it?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It's not the exploit that does anything, it's apparently just the newer launcher. If you wanna keep playing 3DS games, excluding a few newer one's, go grab an older firmware.
To clarify, anybody using a Gateway cart with official Gateway firmware (any version) is safe. Should there be any corruption with an SD card, or some similar common occurrence, the first checksum (which is run before anything else) will fail, and the launcher will stop there (you'll get a black screen that simply requires a restart).

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
Do I just switch the launcher.dat inside the microsd with that of a different version to do it?

Version 1.2 of Gateway is fine, and 2.0 of R4i is good as well.

To clarify, anybody using a Gateway cart with official Gateway firmware (any version) is safe. Should there be any corruption with an SD card, or some similar common occurrence, the first checksum (which is run before anything else) will fail, and the launcher will stop there (you'll get a black screen that simply requires a restart).

This is unconfirmed, and should be taken as a grain of salt (Been sayin' that a lot today).

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
This is unconfirmed, and should be taken as a grain of salt (Been sayin' that a lot today).
Taken with a grain of salt. ;)

In any case, it is confirmed that the initial checksum does exist as an extra layer of protection for Gateway users. I suppose there could be some scenario in which that initial checksum passes and then a corruption of some sort happens a few milliseconds later, resulting in a second or third checksum failing and a damaged/bricked console becoming the result, but chances of this are incredibly slim at best. 99% of reported bricks are coming from people with launchers that were modified to bypass/recode the first checksum and would likely fail later checksums. This has to be done intentionally (3DSLink/R4i firmware, region-free patches, etc).

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

I know but even 1% chance of brick (or 0.001%) is 1% too risky to have, when I can avoid it. I'm sure the case scenario you describe will statistically happen to no more than 1 total gateway owner running on original launcher out of several thousands, but I'll still want to avoid that. It'd suck if that one was me.

Version 1.2 of Gateway is fine, and 2.0 of R4i is good as well.

I was thinking 2.0b1, I read that only 2.0b2 contains the code, unless you have some newer info on the matter.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I know but even 1% chance of brick (or 0.001%) is 1% too risky to have, when I can avoid it. I'm sure the case scenario you describe will statistically happen to no more than 1 total gateway owner running on original launcher out of several thousands, but I'll still want to avoid that. It'd suck if that one was me.

I was thinking 2.0b1, I read that only 2.0b2 contains the code, unless you have some newer info on the matter.
1% is roughly your chance of bricking altogether, using any firmware and any flash cart. It's just the risk you take with code not signed off by Nintendo. The choice is yours, naturally.

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
1% is roughly your chance of bricking altogether, using any firmware and any flash cart. It's just the risk you take with code not signed off by Nintendo. The choice is yours, naturally.

1% may be a stretch... But you're right, there's always a chance of this type of thing when it comes to unlicensed software.

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Of course, but if I have to choose between 1% bricking, with 1% bricking plus the presence of bricking code that might affect me by mistake while giving me no advantages, I'll always pick the former. It looks statistically less riskier no matter what.

Also, is that rough 1% a sensible guess, or do you just think so? I'd say 1% is a little too high for any system to brick, considering all the times you usually boot up your console, especially if it's an handheld. I must have booted my DS / Wii / PS3 / PSP (all hacked, obviously) a total of 10,000 times by now, and nothing happened. By now there surely are 3DS users who have the gateway since it launched and probably booted it up a thousand times.

It would seem that is the case, but Beta 1 is really buggy... You can use it if you'd like I suppose, I just enjoy how easy 1.2 is.
I see. I'll look into both if that's the case.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Of course, but if I have to choose between 1% bricking, with 1% bricking plus the presence of bricking code that might affect me by mistake while giving me no advantages, I'll always pick the former. It looks statistically less riskier no matter what.

Also, is that rough 1% a sensible guess, or do you just think so? I'd say 1% is a little too high for any system to brick, considering all the times you usually boot up your console, especially if it's an handheld. I must have booted my DS / Wii / PS3 / PSP (all hacked, obviously) a total of 10,000 times by now, and nothing happened. By now there surely are 3DS users who have the gateway since it launched and probably booted it up a thousand times.
It would be incredibly hard to legitimately quantify the chances. It's dependent on a lot of different factors. The only thing that is certain is that there is no 100% certainty when it comes to unlicensed software/hardware.

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It would be incredibly hard to legitimately quantify the chances. It's dependent on a lot of different factors. The only thing that is certain is that there is no 100% certainty when it comes to unlicensed software/hardware.
I dare say the same goes for legitimate ones.

lonesome_killer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, not new to the forums but new to 3DS flash carts. A few questions.

I don't currently have a 3DS. I would like to get a 3DS XL. I saw the thread that said I would need firmware 4.5 or less.

(1) Is this true? I really wanted the Zelda 3DS XL :(

(2) If it is true, then is the information in this thread still current?
http://gbatemp.net/threads/where-to-get-a-firmware-4-5-or-below-3ds-xl.352360/
(need serial numbers ending in SW12XXXXXX X)

(3)I had a DS flashcart. Can you still have multiple ROM's on 1 flashcart or can you only have 1 game at a time?

(4) I would like to be able to play online. If I understand correctly you cannot currently play ROMs online, only original retail games? Playing online wouldn't be a big deal for me.

(5) Which flashcart would you recommend? I read the flashcart comparison chart and they all seem the same?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Having every channel is fun lol
  • D @ diamondsofmayhem:
    Actually, finally found someone who was looking for the same thing. https://gbatemp.net/threads/lost-hyrule-warriors-legends-v1-6-0-ntr-plugin.628141/ to no avail.
  • D @ diamondsofmayhem:
    well, sorry for bugging yall with this.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    sup nerds
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sup dawg, watching old rap vids so feel like I gotta talk...Real
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not really just funny. I'm definitely a nerd!
  • ShinyLuxio @ ShinyLuxio:
    Hi there, it's any way to recover original LFCS if I don't have a NAND backup?
    Bought second hand 3DS, it seems it was "unbanned" but that was before I bought it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got these in today for $20 stink buds they aren't that bad https://a.co/d/fOMSn8g
    +1
    @BigOnYa thanks but my question isn't there
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You ask your questions there, create a new thread if its not already answered, then eventually a 3ds genius will respond.
    I will, thanks
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No prob and btw, welcome to gbatemp! :grog:
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 I got some cheapies at wallys, that are pretty good, already have lost a few expensive ones (one falls out and gone, can't find) while cutting grass so bought some cheap ones, and of course never lose these cheap ones. (Cheap meaning only $35, compared to air buds which I only have 1 of 2 now)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They need to add air tags to they airbuds..
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @BigOnYa the airtags are bigger than the airpods, they won't fit
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Be cool tech tho. Of course they want to lose them anyways. Buy and buy again.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Apple could make a find my AirPods thing pretty easily
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You would think, esp using bluetooth, not GPS, like a "your getting hot-er" meter on your phone.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think they should tie up diddy, and let all the victims come and abuse him, we'll make a holiday of it every year. (jk, maybe)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Crazy, the rich get away with this shit, and I can't shit without the poop police checking my asshole every time I shit, or if i have my toilet seatbelt on.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Crazy, the rich get away with this shit, and I can't shit without the poop police checking my...