Homebrew 3DS Cracktros - Would they ever be a thing?

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I made my own 3D splash image you could use for Menuhax. It's a hell of a lot more efficient than injecting it into a shit ton of 3DS games.
upload_2016-10-2_18-59-47.png

Plain 2D version (A9LH and such)
upload_2016-10-2_19-6-7.png

upload_2016-10-2_19-0-46.png

Last edited by CeeDee,

leerz

Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
Cracktros suck. They make it more clear you pirated something and they are normally really shitty. And no pirate will give a damn about who made the dump.
they are actually very particular on who releases what, hence race to [rls] / 0day and nukebombs and propers
cracktros are possible, but unnecessary since the cfw takes care of most of the stuff.
unlike before they had to break the software security of the game itself.

imagine a mini loader to boot off the game, the cia will be bundled with the cracktro, then launches the game (like how fbi/hbl launches the games)

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Is everyone just ignoring what I suggested? There's people who want them injected, those that abhor them, and even one guy suggesting groups release two separate releases just for the sake of nostalgia. This thread has turned into a six page circle jerk and the majority here are missing the entire purpose behind intros. At one point, they were a semblance to one's coding prowess and were used to showcase this by performing homebrewed hardware manipulation. They were also a testament to whomever broke the code. For the 3DS, this is completely redundant, and like I said, groups could release a standalone 3dsx just to satiate the people like this who feel entirely too nostalgic. I doubt they would though, especially seeing as stuff like freeShop totally defeats release groups (yes, there are exceptions, I know).

Last edited by Joom,

Steve Antony Williams

Trophies
XP
Country
And now this thread is turning into a mess due to the amounts of negativity. To think you can have an idea, and have it being neglected due to the nitpicky criticism. Don't like it? Don't participate in the thread. You're not only creating issues for yourself, but someones idea they had hopes on.

Hear hear !!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So most of you may know that back in the early gaming days such as the Amiga, leading up to the PSX scene, most of the games cracked and pirated had something what is known as a 'cracktro' before the game starts. The intros would mostly slap the piracy group on the tin. To give 'credit' of who cracked it.

Do you guys think that it would be possible to make a 3DS crack intro, that would injected into CIAs before you install them?

It happened with the DS:
9695f58ba6d74dad8252c31a3209e463.png
Possible yes, but most scene releases are in .3DS format because they're 1:1, modifying a .3DS ROM would make it unplayable on Sky3DS so the scene would never do that.

Lukein3D

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So I made my own 3D splash image you could use for Menuhax. It's a hell of a lot more efficient than injecting it into a shit ton of 3DS games.
View attachment 64716

Plain 2D version (A9LH and such)
View attachment 64718

You legend!! How would I use this with A9LH?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That one annoyed myself when I was 7 years but this was worse for me:

And no, PLEASE, don't bring this back, in any case do it that replace the "Nintendo 3ds loading screen" or make it 100% skipabble.

PS: Ffs, just don't.

"WE ROX - U SUX"

jesus christ these europeans

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What i hate about those intros is:

1.- Loud music

2.- Unskippable animations (on some cases)

3.- Nonsense messages (on some cases)

There's some that were neat, but most of them overall are just not right.
I have this cracktro on a cart, and it contains a Street Fighter character and a blue background, its easy to skip once you get to the main intro, however their is this screen just before that says "WINNERS USE INTROS" by some FBI guy.

Reactions: xJoelituh

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
There was briefly a 3ds scene release group named PoWeRuP that was soliciting the idea of cracktros for 3ds games. They only released a few games and it seems their cracktro pitch didn't get the level of interest they were expecting.

example:
http://rom-news.org/3ds/nfo/Lets.Golf.3D.USA.eShop.3DS-PoWeRUp
I don't see the intro. That seems to be just an NFO which is standard for releases. ASCII/ANSI art doesn't have to be included in an NFO mind you, but an intro is an animation and reminiscent of the demoscene.

Also, here's a GIF for you old R911 fans.
97fd289a-af2a-4f4a-8996-9a5c8fdeeea1
ggjxrl.gif

Last edited by Joom,
Reactions: Deleted User

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I don't see the intro. That seems to be just an NFO which is standard for releases. ASCII/ANSI art doesn't have to be included in an NFO mind you, but an intro is an animation and reminiscent of the demoscene.

No, I'm not saying there was ever any crackros for 3ds scene releases, just that there was a group trying to revive them. They didn't ever actually make a cracktro to my knowledge.

I assume people thought it was a crappy idea and ignored them.

Last edited by zoogie,

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
No, I'm not saying there was ever any crackros for 3ds scene releases, just that there was a group trying to revive them. They didn't ever actually make a cracktro to my knowledge.

I assume people though it was a crappy idea and ignored them.
Oh ok. I mean, it seems like a dumb idea for 3DS games since they don't particular require cracking. Though I kinda think it would be fun if a group included a fun little Easter egg somewhere that required a button combination or something in order for it to show. Kinda like how tapping so many times on the Android version in System Information gives you a little secret.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't mind them so much if the majority weren't half-assed. Why not make a quality intro with your "brand" instead of some generic clip art with lettering? Or if you aren't going to make it "nice" make it subtle, like in the copyright print of the title menu... I.E When Pokemon says "GameFreak presents" just change it to "blah blah blah" instead.

Personally, I dislike them anyway. I would rather just have the genuine boot screen or have it skipped altogether. Even if I know I'm playing a ROM hack or a crack of a legit ROM, all the custom crap makes me feel like it's second best.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.ebay.com/itm/386617469929?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2T8UwYf_Qse&...