Hardware 256+ GB microSD in N3DS XL

TheToaster

Kishore
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, so I currently have a 128 GB microSD in my N3DS w/ Luma and FB3DS and it is nearly full (around 6GB free). I am planning on upgrading to a 256GB card soon, or perhaps even a 400GB card since they are very cheap on Amazon nowadays. I am wondering if anyone has tested out cards that are 256 GB or greater on the 3DS and how they perform (assuming FAT32 w/ 64KB clusters).

Yes, I am aware that there is a 300 title limit. No, I am not close to reaching that limit at all, I have around 175 titles installed. I am planning on downloading full ROM sets for multiple systems and emulators on my 3DS. Especially now that PSX emulation has gotten extremely good on the N3DS, i'm going to need a lot of storage space. I would like to know if anyone has tested these cards out and how slow the boot time is, and if there are any other issues that you ran into.

Reactions: yuyuyup

ddanjovi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have tested a 256gb micro socket, I would recommend 128gb.
You will be disappointed with how long things are.
The boot time takes 2 minutes.
Installing stuff on fbi takes about 45 seconds before it starts installing a game.
Games like smash ultimate take some time to load.
With the 128gb micro sd the load times are halfed. I have formatted both to fat 32 and tried other tests.
Fastboot doesn't make any difference.
Storage over performance

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have 3ds with dual nand with 256GB over 300 titles. and boot certainly does not take 2 minutes. maybe 30-45 secs or something idk exactly. but yes it is longer.

D

Deleted User

Yes, I am aware that there is a 300 title limit.

I don't think you're aware of what a non-issue this is with 3DSBank, though.

I have 600+ Titles installed on 3 different 3DS Menus within the same New 3DS XL USA and no problems; my Boot Time has not changed with the additional Menus and the only slow loading I can see is the Emulated Console games you're planning to play, starting up.

Outside of the TWiLight Menu++ and the 40-limit-DSi-installed NDS Forwarder, I like to see animated Autostereoscopic 3D icons for my nostalgic Console Games, which is why I Inject all of my favourites and their Game count.

Additionally, running Custom-Install on your PC to install CIA Games will speed up the process as it'll rely on your Micro SD card speed.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: zxr750j
D

Deleted User

Please make a guide!

I'm just a grateful User like you, and many others have created good guides within all the Applications I've linked in my previous Comment, usually on the very first Page.

So what I'll do is point out my steps, all of which are non-destructive if at any time you want to revert back to a Vanilla, Single-Menu 3DS:
  • Download and Install 3DSBank to increase your 300 Limit; for this one I'll link my Comment from that Thread so you know what to expect and how to get Homebrew running inside new Menus to install your CIAs. Also, if you ever run into my Problem and need its solution.
  • Download and Install the NDS Forwarder; just remember that each will be installed as a DSi Application so 40 total is your limit and they will show up in every 3DS Menu you create.
  • If you're planning to Inject with the Application I linked previously, be sure to go to its Options and set the Language to English first; I am, however, using Build 28 which is a better experience but will have more Error Messages if converting to official VC CIAs so you will need to keep Creating until it finally works.
I hope this helps you enjoy your 3DS more.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: ddanjovi

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I have tested a 256gb micro socket, I would recommend 128gb.
You will be disappointed with how long things are.
The boot time takes 2 minutes.
Installing stuff on fbi takes about 45 seconds before it starts installing a game.
Games like smash ultimate take some time to load.
With the 128gb micro sd the load times are halfed. I have formatted both to fat 32 and tried other tests.
Fastboot doesn't make any difference.
Storage over performance
Check the defined cluster size of your SD card. For 128GB or above is always recommended 64kB cluster size

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
could be the micro sd card. it takes about five to seven seconds to boot up my 3ds with a 128GB card though (never tried anything larger). I used to have issues with fbi taking several moments to start installing, but I think it was the micro sd card as I haven't had that problem in a very long time. it starts almost immediately.

Pikm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe don't be so set on having entire ROM sets on your SD card? It's not as if you're going to play most or any of those games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah search Google