Hacking Is 256 GB safe, and more!!

Sardinha157

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Basically, I'm thinking about buying a 256 card, cuz my 128 is full, and I inteed to play every game on that creature and more.
Using 2 sd cards seems like a bad idea (if not them please tell me, that would help me a ton lol) and having the games on pc, and using checkpoint, them installing the ones I'll be playing makes me wanna sleep.

So yeah, what shoul I be prepared for if I use a 256 gb one? Like:
- Best brands, and types.
- Best way to format.
- And what to do so that the gba games play well, and the custom themes (anemone) work normally.

And someone on reddit said that 256gb is easier to corrupt, wich I don't know if it's true.

So yeah, please tell me everything, cuz I don't know what information is outdated, and what simply is false. Anyway thanks to you all!!! And have a great day!

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
That actually doesn't bother me at all hahahhaa so the themes and gba are all good to go! Like 0 chances at a problem even?
Size has no real impact on those. I've been using a 256 GB for years. Boot times are about the only impact. I'm a patient person, and 256 GB doesn't bother me. I tried a 512 GB at one point though and it ended up being a bit much, so I moved to 256 GB for a middle ground between space and performance.

Reactions: Sardinha157

Sardinha157

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Size has no real impact on those. I've been using a 256 GB for years. Boot times are about the only impact. I'm a patient person, and 256 GB doesn't bother me. I tried a 512 GB at one point though and it ended up being a bit much, so I moved to 256 GB for a middle ground between space

Okay! So with a 256 one I'm going!!! And have you had any problems, and what brand you using?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Brands don't really matter; any one brand can change the source their cards, or even source cards from different places at the same time. And of course some cards can just be counterfeit and have nothing to do with the brand on the label.

You should always test your cards with h2testw before you start using them.

and I inteed to play every game on that creature and more.
You will probably break your 3DS before you finish playing 128 GB worth of games, or lose interest, or at least find some better way of playing them. Your intentions are completely unrealistic.

And what to do so that the gba games play well, and the custom themes (anemone) work normally.
Nothing. If you want 256 GB of space, that is the sacrifice you make.

And someone on reddit said that 256gb is easier to corrupt, wich I don't know if it's true.
FAT32 is inherently very easy to corrupt.

In any case, having a large SD card means you have more to potentially lose if your SD card fails.

Reactions: CoolMe

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay! So with a 256 one I'm going!!! And have you had any problems, and what brand you using?
I'd always suggest sandisk just since they are known to be the more reliable storage manufacturer in general. But basically slow boot times is the worst of it. Keep in mind that the 3ds can only have 300 titles on the home screen at once. Titles past that cannot be installed.
Post automatically merged:

You will probably break your 3DS before you finish playing 128 GB worth of games, or lose interest, or at least find some better way of playing them. Your intentions are completely unrealistic.
Not too crazy I'd say. I mean I have a good 80 games on mine and I've completely most of them.

Sardinha157

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm using a SanDisk 256GB MicroSD card. I haven't had a problem with a SanDisk card on anything from a DS to a Retroid Pocket 2.
Thanks!!! Good to know!!

I'd always suggest sandisk just since they are known to be the more reliable storage manufacturer in general. But basically slow boot times is the worst of it. Keep in mind that the 3ds can only have 300 titles on the home screen at once. Titles past that cannot be installed.

Not too crazy I'd say. I mean I have a good 80 games on mine and I've completely most of them.
I've alredy been using a sandinsk with 128 gb, so I was thinking of going with one of those again, thanks for the recommendation!

Yep, there's lots of great games on here

Last edited by Sardinha157,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ExFat is an extremely unstable filesystem. Fat32 is just straight up better. The only probably with Fat32 is the file size limit. I've had a rather large number of ExFat drives corrupt.
That's rather specious. Are you using a lot more exFAT drives than FAT32 drives? Have you tried using FAT32 drives in the same devices where you've used exFAT drives? Are you doing a lot of work with files larger than 4 GB on your exFAT drives (which you'd never be able to do with FAT32) ?

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's rather specious. Are you using a lot more exFAT drives than FAT32 drives? Have you tried using FAT32 drives in the same devices where you've used exFAT drives? Are you doing a lot of work with files larger than 4 GB on your exFAT drives (which you'd never be able to do with FAT32) ?
I've used both rather extensively. But ExFat is kinda known for not being a stable file system. Especially on certain devices. cough cough Switch cough cough.

Reactions: BigOnYa

EnterpriseFreak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The SD controller of the 3DS can theoretically handle up to 2 TB but as @Latiodile already said larger SD cards will make the 3DS take longer to boot. I am using a 200 GB card and its maybe a couple of seconds more. Once the OS has booted it's just as fast as it always was. Do keep in mind that on old 3DS games that use the extended memory modes will have to reboot the system to run, that'll increase the launch time of those games. For brands I'd go with Samsung or SanDisk or something else that's reputable. If it seems to good to be true it probably is.

Keep in mind that the 3ds can only have 300 titles on the home screen at once. Titles past that cannot be installed.

Afaik you can install more than 300 titles they'll just not show up on the home menu. FBI (or devmenu) should still be able to launch those games from their title list. For a more "user friendly" way there's also a homebrew called 3DS Bank which allows you to have multiple Nintendo 3DS folders on your SD card by swapping them around on the system itself.

Sardinha157

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The SD controller of the 3DS can theoretically handle up to 2 TB but as @Latiodile already said larger SD cards will make the 3DS take longer to boot. I am using a 200 GB card and its maybe a couple of seconds more. Once the OS has booted it's just as fast as it always was. Do keep in mind that on old 3DS games that use the extended memory modes will have to reboot the system to run, that'll increase the launch time of those games. For brands I'd go with Samsung or SanDisk or something else that's reputable. If it seems to good to be true it probably is.

Afaik you can install more than 300 titles they'll just not show up on the home menu. FBI (or devmenu) should still be able to launch those games from their title list. For a more "user friendly" way there's also a homebrew called 3DS Bank which allows you to have multiple Nintendo 3DS folders on your SD card by swapping them around on the system itself.
Thanks!! So I'm going with a 256 gb one and I will be aware of the price, and as you said the best way to bypass the 300 limit is by 3ds banks, you can even put hshop on it!!

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
I think if I remember correctly. If you use gba Injected games into the official emulator you get issues like the screen size being too big. And spamming the start button will make the frame buffer scroll round , for what ever reason. But for normal 3ds games should be fine

Reactions: Sardinha157

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto