Hacking Homebrew Everything gone from the home screen

Arryh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I was following some guides on playing NDS games on my 3DS and everything was going smoothly. Booted up Twilight and was about to start the game but I was hit with a message saying that I had to "Format my SD card to use 32kb clusters". So I did that with the godmode9 menu and when I booted up my 3DS again my home screen's theme and all the homebrew apps were gone except for Twilight believe it or not. And yeah, I did check the SD card and everything's exactly how it was prior to me doing this, all the files are still there.

I made a backup of my SD card prior to formatting it just in case and I tried replacing all the files on my SD card with my backup (which took hours...) but nothing's changed. Everything's still in the SD card, but it just doesn't show up on the home screen.

I can still boot up godmode9 btw. I think it's the only thing that's still accessible other than the twilight menu.

I tried following a guide here where people were able to solve the issue by going to the SD card's properties on windows and going to "repair drive" on tools, and then, after it's repaired, you just delete whatever corrupted file was causing the issue. But when I went to repair it I was told that windows found no issues. Plus, I have no idea if there even IS a corrupted file.

I'm not familiar with 3DS hacking, it's been a long time since I've meddled with this thing, so what am I supposed to do here????

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I did that with the godmode9 menu and when I booted up my 3DS again my home screen's theme and all the homebrew apps were gone except for Twilight believe it or not. And yeah, I did check the SD card and everything's exactly how it was prior to me doing this, all the files are still there.
This is unclear. Are you saying you formatted your SD card in Godmode9 and everything was still on the SD card afterwards!?

If you copied everything off your SD card and then copied everything back again after formatting it, then it is very important that your SD card is completely empty before you copy everything back again. (If you use it in your 3DS after formatting but before copying, then the 3DS will create a new "Nintendo 3DS" folder, and that causes problems.)

Reactions: anotherthing

Arryh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This is unclear. Are you saying you formatted your SD card in Godmode9 and everything was still on the SD card afterwards!?

If you copied everything off your SD card and then copied everything back again after formatting it, then it is very important that your SD card is completely empty before you copy everything back again. (If you use it in your 3DS after formatting but before copying, then the 3DS will create a new "Nintendo 3DS" folder, and that causes problems.)
I formatted it with godmode9 and yeah, it was empty after that iirc.
Afterwards, I copied the backup I have on my PC over to the SD card again and put it in my 3DS.

I did not boot up the console ONCE with an empty SD card, I only did it when I made sure all the files were back where they're supposed to be. My line of thought was: if I format the SD card and put all the files afterwards, the 3DS won't detect any changes and will load everything up like normal.

But guess I was wrong.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I copied the backup I have on my PC over to the SD card again and put it in my 3DS.
This is the kind of information that is useful to include when attempting to troubleshoot. :glare:

Inside your "Nintendo 3DS" folder there should be one folder with a long random name. (This is the "ID0".) Inside that folder you should have one more folder with a different long random name. (This is the "ID1".) Do you have more than one folder with a long random name in either of these places?

Reactions: Alexander1970

Arryh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This is the kind of information that is useful to include when attempting to troubleshoot. :glare:

Inside your "Nintendo 3DS" folder there should be one folder with a long random name. (This is the "ID0".) Inside that folder you should have one more folder with a different long random name. (This is the "ID1".) Do you have more than one folder with a long random name in either of these places?
Sorry, I thought I had made this clear with the initial post... :unsure:

And yep, two of them.
Maybe the 3DS recognized my formatted card as a new one and created a completely new folder for it instead of reading the one that was already there?
Post automatically merged:

Okay yeah I got it back!!!

Since I formatted my SD card, my 3DS was detecting it as a new card and made a whole new folder for it, which it was referring to instead of the one that already existed. So what I did was:

On the "Nintendo 3DS" folder I went into the folder that had a lot of numbers on it, inside of that folder there's supposed to be another one that has a lot of numbers for the name. But in my case there were 2 folders like that in there, the one from my 'old' SD card and the one from my 'new' SD card (aka the post-formatting SD card).

Then, all I had to do was delete everything within the new folder (the one that had less things inside of it) and copy the data from the other folder onto this new one. Boom! My stuff is back to how it used to be!

Thank you everyone who came to help!

Last edited by Arryh,
Reactions: anotherthing

TheOllie125

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Im having a very similar issue, however there is only ONE ID1, which said it was modified recently, is there a fix for that?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Im having a very similar issue
Then start from the beginning and don't skip any steps. Connect the SD card to your PC, copy everything off the SD card with Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier, format the card, test the empty card with h2testw, and copy everything back if the test is okay. If the test fails, you will need to get a new card.

Reactions: impeeza

bugboner42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having a similar issue, I went into my Nintendo 3ds folder and found a second ID0 and deleted it but my games still aren't showing up. Is there anything I'm missing?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto