Hacking Is 256 GB safe, and more!!

Sardinha157

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Basically, I'm thinking about buying a 256 card, cuz my 128 is full, and I inteed to play every game on that creature and more.
Using 2 sd cards seems like a bad idea (if not them please tell me, that would help me a ton lol) and having the games on pc, and using checkpoint, them installing the ones I'll be playing makes me wanna sleep.

So yeah, what shoul I be prepared for if I use a 256 gb one? Like:
- Best brands, and types.
- Best way to format.
- And what to do so that the gba games play well, and the custom themes (anemone) work normally.

And someone on reddit said that 256gb is easier to corrupt, wich I don't know if it's true.

So yeah, please tell me everything, cuz I don't know what information is outdated, and what simply is false. Anyway thanks to you all!!! And have a great day!

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So yeah, what shoul I be prepared for if I use a 256 gb one? Like:
- Best brands, and types.
Generally Samsung or SanDisk, they're good, can't tell you about other brands (even if they're good) because i have no experience with them. I'd stay away from Kingston, even if they're genuine they're known to have abismal R&W speeds (same for their usbs).

Though should go without saying, that the 2 aforementioned brands are the most copy- able & imitated brands, so you might end up with a counterfeit (even if the packaging is convincing enough) instead of the real thing. so one way to know is to check it for errors with h2testw, and use their authenticity checker software to make sure it's indeed genuine.

You could also use CrystalDiskMark to measure the speed, though if you have 2.0 usb ports you won't get their full speed..
- Best way to format.
Fat32, and with 64kb cluster size since it's a 256gb card. Use Guiformat to do the formatting.

A side note, make sure the micro sd card has only one partition (without a small, hidden partition), i see many new cards come like that (Samsung & SanDisk, it's for backup), that would also make the test fail in h2testw, 'cause it didn't check the whole storage capacity..
- And what to do so that the gba games play well,
You want to know best way to play gba games on the 3ds? VC injects (with NSUI) and /or Open_agb_firm.
and the custom themes (anemone) work normally.
Themes should work as normal, don't think the sd formatting could affect it.
And someone on reddit said that 256gb is easier to corrupt, wich I don't know if it's true.
Not if it's genuine. Still, do regular backups specially of your game saves (with Checkpoint), as you can always DL games easily even in the event of sd corruption.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd stay away from Kingston, even if they're genuine they're known to have abismal R&W speeds (same for their usbs).
[...]
You could also use CrystalDiskMark to measure the speed, though if you have 2.0 usb ports you won't get their full speed..
It's been my understanding that the 3DS read speed is already inherently too slow to be affected by the hardware, and that you certainly won't achieve any speed reported by a PC-based benchmarking utility.

Besides, wouldn't a legitmate SD card of a given "speed class" be required to have a particular minimum read/write speed regardless of the brand?

Problems with themes (especially custom themes) seem to be frequently reported by users of large cards.

Sardinha157

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I think if I remember correctly. If you use gba Injected games into the official emulator you get issues like the screen size being too big. And spamming the start button will make the frame buffer scroll round , for what ever reason. But for normal 3ds games should be fine
What about gba games on the twillight menu?
That's the way I like to play them, so what should I expect, and if something doenst work what shoukd I do to correct it?
And thanks!!!

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about gba games on the twillight menu?
That's GBArunner2, that's the worst way to play GBA games, if you want to use an emulator use mGBA since you are using a 3ds.. Note that VC Injects & Open_agb_firm have better performance, because it's not emulation.
That's the way I like to play them, so what should I expect, and if something doenst work what shoukd I do to correct it?
You can't do anything to correct it, If you encounter something lag, stuttering or any performance problem in a game, it's just how the emulator/ emulation experience is for the 3ds. That's why people around here recommend the 2 aforementioned options because they give a much better & stable experience.

Reactions: Sardinha157

Sardinha157

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I
Generally Samsung or SanDisk, they're good, can't tell you about other brands (even if they're good) because i have no experience with them. I'd stay away from Kingston, even if they're genuine they're known to have abismal R&W speeds (same for their usbs).

Though should go without saying, that the 2 aforementioned brands are the most copy- able & imitated brands, so you might end up with a counterfeit (even if the packaging is convincing enough) instead of the real thing. so one way to know is to check it for errors with h2testw, and use their authenticity checker software to make sure it's indeed genuine.

Fat32, and with 64kb cluster size since it's a 256gb card. Use Guiformat to do the formatting.

A side note, make sure the micro sd card has only one partition (without a small, hidden partition), i see many new cards come like that (Samsung & SanDisk, it's for backup), that would also make the test fail in h2testw, 'cause it didn't check the whole storage capacity..

You want to know best way to play gba games on the 3ds? VC injects (with NSUI) and /or Open_agb_firm.

Not if it's genuine. Still, do regular backups specially of your game saves (with Checkpoint), as you can always DL games easily even in the event of sd corruption.
Yo thanks for everything!!! I will certainly check if the sd i get is legit or not!

And I'm actually using Twillight Menu for gba games, does it have issues with the sd card? If so I would see more abt injects!
And the themes I was talking abt custom ones, wich I have had some people say work fine and others saying it doesn't.
Anyways thanks a ton!
Post automatically merged:

That's GBArunner2, that's the worst way to play GBA games, if you want to use an emulator use mGBA since you are using a 3ds.. Note that VC Injects & Open_agb_firm have better performance, because it's not emulation.

You can't do anything to correct it, If you encounter something lag, stuttering or any performance problem in a game, it's just how the emulator/ emulation experience is for the 3ds. That's why people around here recommend the 2 aforementioned options because they give a much better & stable experience.
Oh got it!! I thought that TM didn't use emulation lol, and for it was really easy to use, so thats kinda of a bummer, but thanks!

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And I'm actually using Twillight Menu for gba games, does it have issues with the sd card? If so I would see more abt injects!
No there shouldn't be.
And the themes I was talking abt custom ones, wich I have had some people say work fine and others saying it doesn't.
I'm not sure about themes actually, and if sd formatting and/ or cluster size could affect how it displays, since i don't dabble with custom themes anyway. Though you might run into a theme that prevents you from accessing the home menu, there's a way to fix that..
Oh got it!! I thought that TM didn't use emulation lol
You can still use TWilightmenu for DS & DSiWare games, and the experience is solid. GBArunner2 however is still not that good, mGBA is better (tho still not as good as injects/open_agb_firm).

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I thought that TM didn't use emulation
That's right, TWiLight Menu (or more specifically GBARunner2) runs the GBA code natively and technically isn't "emulation". But it still has to "fake" certain aspects of the GBA hardware, and it doesn't do that as well as open_agb_firm or VC injects.

open_agb_firm is in some ways preferable to VC injects, but they are indistinguishable in performance.

Sardinha157

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That's right, TWiLight Menu (or more specifically GBARunner2) runs the GBA code natively and technically isn't "emulation". But it still has to "fake" certain aspects of the GBA hardware, and it doesn't do that as well as open_agb_firm or VC injects.

open_agb_firm is in some ways preferable to VC injects, but they are indistinguishable in performance.
Got it!!! Some people told me abou AGB on reddit, and it really seems like a good idea, and esy to use and setup (better than twillight in performance, and no need to make injects), so just get the roms and put in folders hehehe thanks!
And should I run in less problems using it in a 256 size sd?

No there shouldn't be.

I'm not sure about themes actually, and if sd formatting and/ or cluster size could affect how it displays, since i don't dabble with custom themes anyway. Though you might run into a theme that prevents you from accessing the home menu, there's a way to fix that..

You can still use TWilightmenu for DS & DSiWare games, and the experience is solid. GBArunner2 however is still not that good, mGBA is better (tho still not as good as injects/open_agb_firm).
Thanks a ton!! So yeah, I shouldng have any problems!
And if so I can fix them hahaha, thanks!!

Reactions: CoolMe

anotherthing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been my understanding that the 3DS read speed is already inherently too slow to be affected by the hardware, and that you certainly won't achieve any speed reported by a PC-based benchmarking utility.
25MB/s is the read speed on a New 3DS. Most SD cards these days are 48MB/s to 90MB/s last I looked, so you're 100% correct there. The main reason you'd want a super fast SD card isn't the speed of the 3DS, it's for copying files to and from a PC. If you're packing a 64GB or above SD card, you'll appreciate that speed when you go to back up your SD card.

WizardWell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only issue with open_agb_firm is that it requires you to shut down to access it. So then you're running into the boot problem more often. I've found that VC injects of GBA games run into very long boot times as well, which makes complete sense as they are shutting down the 3DS OS and initiating the GBA hardware in the unit. mGBA is the only other option and even that seems to have lengthy load times. Even worse, there are almost always minor performance issues (audio crackling) or major issues (Golden Sun has terrible audio crackling).

Would be nice if open_agb_firm had a sleep mode but that is tough to accomplish apparently. VC injects can be crafted with a sleep mode hack, so that might be the best way to play GBA. I'm trying open_agb_firm for Minish Cap, I've been saving lots since I play in small bursts usually.

EDIT: I should note I'm using a 256GB card rn. It's pretty cool, I've loaded a buttload of PS1 games and 3DS games, along with an extensive retro library.

Sardinha157

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
We already talked about this, yes it's fine, just make sure to format it as FAT32 64kb clusters (not 32kb) otherwise gba games won't display correctly.
I was just being extra sure hahaha, and saving the formatting things thanks!

The only issue with open_agb_firm is that it requires you to shut down to access it. So then you're running into the boot problem more often. I've found that VC injects of GBA games run into very long boot times as well, which makes complete sense as they are shutting down the 3DS OS and initiating the GBA hardware in the unit. mGBA is the only other option and even that seems to have lengthy load times. Even worse, there are almost always minor performance issues (audio crackling) or major issues (Golden Sun has terrible audio crackling).

Would be nice if open_agb_firm had a sleep mode but that is tough to accomplish apparently. VC injects can be crafted with a sleep mode hack, so that might be the best way to play GBA. I'm trying open_agb_firm for Minish Cap, I've been saving lots since I play in small bursts usually.

EDIT: I should note I'm using a 256GB card rn. It's pretty cool, I've loaded a buttload of PS1 games and 3DS games, along with an extensive retro library.
That's some good tips to hear, thanks!!

Sardinha157

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm using 400gb and it's fine but my gawd is it slow when enough games are installed. I use standard allocation. GBA needs to just be on actual NAND.
Lol 400 gbs should really have some slowdown hahahaha, and what do you mean with gba games beign on nand? Like vc injects?

In 20 years, when we're using our 15 dollar 25tb Micro SD cards, people are going to spend more money to buy a 128GB Micro SD card, because slow boot times.
Gonna preserve mine so that the 3ds purists will pay me well for then, thanks for the knowledge good sir 🙏

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Lol 400 gbs should really have some slowdown hahahaha, and what do you mean with gba games beign on nand? Like vc injects?

Gonna preserve mine so that the 3ds purists will pay me well for then, thanks for the knowledge good sir 🙏
3DS has a title limit, so some people like me use emunand to bypass it without having to deal with the weird workaround that other people use.

GBA uses a special mode and it does not work with virtual nand. You can only run GBA games in normal nand. Emunand cannot run them (unless you also have that game in real nand)

Sardinha157

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
3DS has a title limit, so some people like me use emunand to bypass it without having to deal with the weird workaround that other people use.

GBA uses a special mode and it does not work with virtual nand. You can only run GBA games in normal nand. Emunand cannot run them (unless you also have that game in real nand)
I actually do not know anything about emunan or nand, like one of them limits ds DSiWare, but I really dont know what it means or how it works lol

I'm using a 512go sd on my n3ds it's bit slow to boot but it's ok and I'm using godmode9i to format my format my sd in fat32
Good to know, so half of that won't be a problem!!

WizardWell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I actually do not know anything about emunan or nand, like one of them limits ds DSiWare, but I really dont know what it means or how it works lol
NAND is a type of logic gate (not and), and the NAND flash storage is a type of read/write chip. This is where the 3DS system menu is housed internally on your 3DS, known as sysNAND. EmuNAND is like sysNAND but is housed on the SD card. YOu can kinda have 2 3DS's on the one 3DS. This guide is much more knowledgeable: https://gbatemp.net/threads/a-noobnands-guide-to-sysnand-and-emunand.410439/

Sardinha157

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
NAND is a type of logic gate (not and), and the NAND flash storage is a type of read/write chip. This is where the 3DS system menu is housed internally on your 3DS, known as sysNAND. EmuNAND is like sysNAND but is housed on the SD card. YOu can kinda have 2 3DS's on the one 3DS. This guide is much more knowledgeable: https://gbatemp.net/threads/a-noobnands-guide-to-sysnand-and-emunand.410439/
I didn't know this, quite interesting! Thanks a lot ff wizard! And I'll be sure to check the link to see more about this, 2 3ds on one is kinda crazy hahaha

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto