2 3DSXL's on 9.6. Downgrade fails, rerun works on 1, bricked other.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by TheGlow, Feb 13, 2016.

1. TheGlow
    OP

TheGlow GBAtemp Regular

Nov 23, 2013
    United States
    Da Bronx
    So I was working on one of them. I get menuhax on it, sysupdater, started to install cias and screen switches to "An error has occurred" and to reboot it. I reboot, it claims 9.2 but I know it's most l ikely a frankenfirmware because it was too fast. I decide to run sysupdater again. Finished normal. I go on the 2nd one. Same behavior, it errors after about 8 CIA's in. I restart and run it again. This time instead of finishing it went black. It won't boot to recovery mode. With or without SD card in. So this would be a hard brick correct? Should I run sysupdater and patch to 10.3 first? Does that make a difference?

2. Yepez666

Yepez666 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2016
    Mexico
    i got the same problem on a new 3ds , its says im on 9.2 but still on 9.8, should i try to upgrade it with sysupdater or should i forget about cfw and update to 10.5

3. TheGlow
    OP

TheGlow GBAtemp Regular

Nov 23, 2013
    United States
    Da Bronx
    I dont know. I had 1 successfully downgrade, another bricked.
    I think you can try and use sysupdater to update to 10.3 and then try to go back down again.

4. Yepez666

Yepez666 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2016
    Mexico
    Thanks it worked im now on 10.3 and making downgrade hopes it goes well
    Edit: All worked perfectly

Last edited by Yepez666, Feb 13, 2016
    Quantumcat and hobbledehoy899 like this.
  5. TheGlow
    OP

TheGlow GBAtemp Regular

Nov 23, 2013
    United States
    Da Bronx
    Thanks to know. I guess I'll be taking that path on this other one I have.

6. Yepez666

Yepez666 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2016
    Mexico
    i messaged you

Last edited by Yepez666, Feb 13, 2016
  7. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States
    Restore your nand dump that you made with the hardmod before you started tinkering with the system...you DID dump the NAND first, no?

Last edited by dubbz82, Feb 14, 2016
  8. alepman90

alepman90 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    it should be a sticky dont downgrade from 9.X to 9.2
    because i bricked 4

9. TheGlow
    OP

TheGlow GBAtemp Regular

Nov 23, 2013
    United States
    Da Bronx
    Nah, this one died before I could get a nand. It was a hybrid frankenfirmware so it said 9.2 in system settings but trying to run emunand would just have it flicker red and back to homebrew launcher.
    I debated to try a hard mod but first 4 3ds' didnt give any problems so I didn't expect the 5th one to pull one over on me.
    But I'm ok for now. They swapped it out and got another, this time came with 9.8. And seems to be the 1.2gb nand. Same deal, downgrading gave an error and was hybrid firmware. so I upgraded to 10.3, then downgraded and was successful.
    So I have a nand of that now so should be good going forward.

10. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States
    Chalk it up to a lesson learned. The hack has been pretty openly stated as being unstable, and for pretty good reasoning, it does from time to time fail without what seems to be much of any reasoning.

Your one off instance doesn't prove a pattern, as several others have successfully downgraded from 9.X...as per what I said to TheGlow, the hack is known to be unstable and occasionally failing.

Last edited by dubbz82, Feb 14, 2016
    bache likes this.