14 reported dead, 20 injured in shooting at Dark Night Rises showing.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Since I know this argument could go on forever, I'll end it now. you win.
There really are no winners and losers, no rights and wrongs in an argument like this because either way everybody loses - someone died and there is no solution and no suitable retribution since nobody can bring the victims back to life.

I too am not a huge fan of the Death Penalty, as silly as it may sound coming from me - a life is a life, but a line needs to be drawn between a human and a monster.

In my opinion, prisoners that are found to be beyond help, guilty of highly-atrocious crimes such as this one who pose a threat to society should be "canditates" for the Death Penalty with a choice of Life Imprisonment while working within the compound to fund their own living - this makes everybody happy since it's up to the prisoner then.

This kind of sentence should only be given by an impartial judge and a board of psychologists that are trained in the field of criminal psychology - only that kind of a combination can assert the potential for rehab, if there is any, and the state of mind of the offender.

...sounds good?

Reactions: 1 person

rad140

GBAtemp's "over quoter"
Trophies
Website
rad140.livejournal.com
XP
Country
Canada
Some more updated facts:
  • At least 12 dead, 38 59 injured
  • Suspect is 24 year old James Holmes, apparently a former medical student (dropout, my guess) EDIT: former medical student at the University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine, PhD neuroscience candidate at University of Colorado School of Medicine, withdrew in June.
  • Four weapons have been recovered: a 12-gauge shotgun with 3-round capacity (may be modified), a "AK-47" AR-15 knock-off (30 rounds, .223, likely semi-auto) and two Glock .40 handguns (one he used, other was in his car).
  • Federal agents found "items of interest" at his apartment, unclear what.
  • Bomb tech experts surveyed his apartment via camera through the window and have determined that it is booby-trapped with various sophisticated explosives. Said it would take "hours or days" to clear.
  • The gas used seems to be some kind of tear-gas, unsure if home-made or a commercial product.
  • Pentagon confirmed US military service members were among the victims, unknown how many and if killed or injured.
Colorado does have the death penalty (1 executed, 4 on death row) and Holmes would meet at least one of the 17 criteria required to be eligible. Seeing as this tragedy involved children, I see a jury likely to suggest it.

Source: CNN

mrnintendo15

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There really are no winners and losers, no rights and wrongs in an argument like this because either way everybody loses - someone died and there is no solution and no suitable retribution since nobody can bring the victims back to life.

I too am not a huge fan of the Death Penalty, as silly as it may sound coming from me - a life is a life, but a line needs to be drawn between a human and a monster.

In my opinion, prisoners that are found to be beyond help, guilty of highly-atrocious crimes such as this one who pose a threat to society should be "canditates" for the Death Penalty with a choice of Life Imprisonment while working within the compound to fund their own living - this makes everybody happy since it's up to the prisoner then.

This kind of sentence should only be given by an impartial judge and a board of psychologists that are trained in the field of criminal psychology - only that kind of a combination can assert the potential for rehab, if there is any.

...sounds good?
sounds good. :)

Reactions: 2 people

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This kind of sentence should only be given by an impartial judge and a board of psychologists that are trained in the field of criminal psychology - only that kind of a combination can assert the potential for rehab, if there is any, and the state of mind of the offender.

...sounds good?

Foxi, for once I agree with you. The whole prison system needs to be revamped. Also, corporations need t STAY AWAY from prisons. Here in America, corporate prisons are doing nothing more than trying to get law makers to make people into criminals for every little thing so they can line up their pockets. Our country is quickly becoming a police state and you're better off just staying in your house than going outside where you can be bullied by the police ans arrested for anything just because a cop says so. I feel sad for the victims and there really needs to be greater effort placed on Mental health in this country.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
When I first read about this story, all I could do was shake my head. This is just sad. What was the point of it all? Guess they are going to start installing metal detectors in movie theaters now.
You can't impose inconvenience on the entirety of the society when you only want to target a tiny fraction of it - bah! A few particles. This is also what was done "wrong" after 9/11 - the entire world was fed propaganda of fear and security measures went through the roof to the point that they were actually endangering ordinary citizens - on a Canadian airport, a Polish citizen who was waiting for his relatives and didn't know the language became restless and after countless attempts at trying to find a translator, he started yelling - clearly upset. The security tazed him to death - his heart just stopped. Incidents like this were re-occuring and are a staple example of why this never works. Moreover, it also instigated fear and discrimination againts Muslims and Arabs in many countries - many people after the attacks started to automatically assume that every Muslim and every Arab is a terrorist, when it's obviously not the case.

What this world needs is putting respect of law back where it's supposed to by inflicting harsh and swift judgement that will make the criminal think twice before comitting a crime. That, and financing the Police better. Right now, the financing is poor and the officers are prone to become corrupt simply because they too need to save money for retirement. A well-paid officer will be far too afraid of losing his/her chair to accept a bribe. Same goes for the entirety of the Justice System - it needs to be a well-oiled and properly maintained machine so that it is free from outside influence.

We're not talking about a police state - we're talking about a system that works the way it's intended to.

Reactions: 4 people

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I first read about this story, all I could do was shake my head. This is just sad. What was the point of it all? Guess they are going to start installing metal detectors in movie theaters now.

When is the last time you been to a movie theater? Even before 9/11 they all were getting metal detectors...In PA at least. Than again in PA everyone is marked as a criminal at birth til they graduate college.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*sigh* and I bet he'll be out in 3 years due to "good behavior".

We really need to learn to punish criminals more, its always the same people.

giavol

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok. Gun control wont work, but how can it be legal to buy an AK47? Who can think than owning such weapons is for protection.

rad140

GBAtemp's "over quoter"
Trophies
Website
rad140.livejournal.com
XP
Country
Canada

Colorado has the death penalty.

I think it's interesting how discussions about tragedies always seem to veer off into something else entirely. Here, it's about prisons/mental illness/metal detectors, on CNN it was pro-gun/anti-gun law people arguing over whether an armed bystander would have helped or caused more harm and on IGN it's about religion/atheism.
Ok. Gun control wont work, but how can it be legal to buy an AK47? Who can think than owning such weapons is for protection.

I believe as long as it's semi-automatic it's okay. I don't know. The AK-variant they recovered had a capacity for 30 rounds in .223 but it's unknown if it was a semiautomatic or fully automatic. He also had a shotgun (civilian legal) and 2 handguns.

EDIT: Wasn't an AK. CNN and others reports it was some kind of AR-15 knock-off. Same capacity and ammunition tho.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is completely and utterly disgusting. I can't even fully wrap my head around it. This guy has got to go. Lock him up in prison, make sure the inmates know he opened fire on small children, then send in a mop to clean up what is left the next day.

Reactions: 2 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It depends on your definition of "protection" - some people get a simple gun to defend themselves from thugs, other people live in an imaginary world where World War 3 is upon us and they need to prepare.

The sensible solution would be to limit the caliber of handguns available to citizens to 9mm unless a citizen requires a higher-caliber weapon for work-related purposes, for example is a police officer and preferes it over his standard-issue.

As for rifles, only hunting ones should be allowed. Shotguns? Buck and rubber slugs only.

Automatic? No chance.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends on your definition of "protection" - some people get a simple gun to defend themselves from thugs, other people live in an imaginary world where World War 3 is upon us and they need to prepare.

The sensible solution would be to limit the caliber of handguns available to citizens to 9mm unless a citizen requires a higher-caliber weapon for work-related purposes, for example is a police officer and preferes it over his standard-issue.

As for rifles, only hunting ones should be allowed. Shotguns? Buck and rubber slugs only.

Automatic? No chance.
If I recall correctly ak-47's and other rifles are actually pretty easy to convert to full auto. Also bump fire stocks are legal which accomplish the same thing in a different way.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If I recall correctly ak-47's and other rifles are actually pretty easy to convert to full auto. Also bump fire stocks are legal which accomplish the same thing in a different way.
What you're thinking about is a combat rifle. What I'm thinking about is a hunting rifle. Two different things. ;)

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

This is America, I don't really know why you would assume he would ever be released. We jail more people than anyone in the world including China.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Humans aren't special - they're animals
Except we are since we have more things then they do, like the ability to reason and not just follow instincts.
Also despite people like the shooter(s) in this sad event, we have created great things that no other animal can't
possibility do.

I'm pming.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What you're thinking about is a combat rifle. What I'm thinking about is a hunting rifle. Two different things. ;)
Oh like single fire hunting rifles, my bad. The point still stands about combat rifles being easy to turn back to full auto though, they are designed that way then limited for civilian use as an afterthought.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY