MoDmew8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey all,

well, the competition ends this day and I fear I wasn't able to progress that much due to some issues at work. This is now the final state for the competition, but ofcourse I will go on with this project. It's called Gaia DS.

GaiaDS000.jpg

It's supposed to be a RPG in the classic SNES style, currenlty the engine is on heavy development. Following things are already implemented:
- Movement & Collision, On-Run-Over Detection
- Dynamic Sprite System, Sprite Interaction, Sprite Collision
- Messagebox System
- Menu in early state
- Questlog, filled with dummies
- NEW: Inventory with use features (like swapping items, doh, there is no usable item atm)

Check out following controls:
Direction Pad: Movement/Menu Switch
Y: when pressed, toggle run/walk
X: Enter submenu & Quit submenu
A: Accept Button
B: Deny Button

gaia0001.png
gaia0002.png
gaia0003.png
gaia0004.png
gaia0005.png

But! There is one more thing. Since it's supposed to be a RPG, there is already a raw idea for the beginning of the story.

Story

As it's very raw, it must not be proper formatted, also please excuse some grammatic mistakes.

Download

Next:

inventory equip feature
npc movement
(within the npc movement feature, the story will be started to be implemented)

CODE
Updates:
rev 6:
inventory use and swap feature added
some code was tidied up
some story was written

rev 5:
menu added
questlog added
inventory added
questlog and inventory filled with dummies
press X to switch access

rev 4:
tile collision enhanced
on-tile-over detection
on-run-over support for events
bigger font
new map
splashscreen

rev 3:
overlay priority system added
sprite collision detection
refined tile collision system
sprite interaction system added (talk to upper Kento using A)

rev 2:
sprite display system added with "clipping"
unload on teleport and load before unblack added

rev 1:
dynamic teleport added, now able to enter the upper-left house
fading effect when teleport added

rev 0:
movement system
collision system
message system

So... thats it! I hope you enjoyed.

D

Deleted_171835

Well, I can't really comment on this since the game has just started development.

I do want to know what tool you are using to port RPG-Maker 2000 games to the DS.
or are you coding them yourselves?

Also, I'm assuming Rydian referred you here from Gaia.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
Well, I can't really comment on this since the game has just started development.

I do want to know what tool you are using to port RPG-Maker 2000 games to the DS.
or are you coding them yourselves?He's coding it himself in the same style (RM2K was styled after SNES games as well).

QUOTE(SoulSnatcher @ Apr 9 2011, 09:27 PM) Also, I'm assuming Rydian referred you here from Gaia.
Heh, yeah, I've got the homebrew bounty link in my sig there, but so far I don't know of anybody that's come because of that.
frown.gif

Slasher Zero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
You should try adding flowers and stuff to the scenery oh and if you can make them
move in there place don't i really hated that on Dragon Quest vi : realms of revelation Good Luck
yay.gif

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Now this looks great already. I love the graphics (probably because the SNES is my favorite console).
smile.gif

How are you gonna make the battle system? FF-Like or SoM-Like?

MoDmew8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey there,

teleportation was added, check out refreshed download link! You are now able to enter and leave the (empty
frown.gif
) upperleft house. Due to this, my next step will be a fading effect when teleporting, and next to this an door-opening-animation.

Rydian said:
You didn't give a version number for this release so I just titled it Alpha 1 on filetrip for the time being. If you'll tell me the numbering scheme you'll use, it wouldn't take me but a moment to edit it.

Thank you for upping! Please, do as you wish (I won't keep elder files, only if there are real milestones), i'd prefer revisions, just counting increasingly.

SoulSnatcher said:

or are you coding them yourselves?

Also, I'm assuming Rydian referred you here from Gaia.

Rydian already answered, it's coded on my own - just using RPG-Maker 2000 graphics, because of focusing on the engine first.

Slasher Zero said:
You should try adding flowers and stuff to the scenery oh and if you can make them
move in there place don't i really hated that on Dragon Quest vi : realms of revelation Good Luck
yay.gif

Yeah... I'm poor in designing using gimp as tile-editor, but for now it's just for collision, teleportation and npc issues
smile.gif

Some "waving flowers" - I think I won't implement... But who knows
smile.gif

QUOTE(SignZ @ Apr 10 2011, 10:32 AM)
Now this looks great already. I love the graphics (probably because the SNES is my favorite console).
smile.gif

How are you gonna make the battle system? FF-Like or SoM-Like?

I've got already an idea for the battle system, it will be a side-view-battlesystem in FF-Style. But I won't go on with any further information, only time will tell!

Btw. thank you all for the positive replies
biggrin.gif

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Very nice
smile.gif

Two suggestions:
First, make the steps 'bigger'. What I mean is every tap of the < or > arrow should kind of 'snap' you to 4px or so to make it easier to get aligned with things like doorways and paths.
Second, walking into a door will enter that door rather than pressing A. That is unless you add a Closed door for inaccessible and open door sprite for accessible.

Keep up the great work.
I would love to see a sort of remake of an oldskool SNES RPG using this (I had originally though of Illusion of Gaia based on the name).

MoDmew8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey there,

new update: sprite display system with clipping was added - currently just with the playable sprite, gonna extend it when the correct overlaying and the collision detection for sprites is supported.

twiztidsinz said:
Very nice
smile.gif

Two suggestions:
First, make the steps 'bigger'. What I mean is every tap of the < or > arrow should kind of 'snap' you to 4px or so to make it easier to get aligned with things like doorways and paths.
Second, walking into a door will enter that door rather than pressing A. That is unless you add a Closed door for inaccessible and open door sprite for accessible.

Keep up the great work.
I would love to see a sort of remake of an oldskool SNES RPG using this (I had originally though of Illusion of Gaia based on the name).

Bigger Steps aren't that easy, because you are able to walk diagonal. But you are right, I'm already thinking of setting up another method of movement due to the not exact scrolling. But that's on lower priority.

Closed doors will be there, so using objects including doors require hitting a button.

Next update won't take that long...

MoDmew8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey there,

some updates:
tile collision enhanced - some additional features for... dunno
tongue.gif

on-tile-over detection
on-run-over support for events - check out running the path along
bigger font
new map
splashscreen for the homebrew bounty

the next step:
the sub-screen menu and the game-title-screen

(I hope the mods don't mind doubleposting in development topics?)

MoDmew8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey there,

the extra week is really nice, due to some real life issues my update frequency is below ev'rything.

Latest updates:
menu added
questlog added
inventory added

Next:
use-features in inventory
status menu

MoDmew8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So, that's it.

My small amount of time wasn't capable for more, first post was refreshed.
Some story was published, the inventory was enhanced with swap feature and slots for equip are predefined now. Stack's were implemented either.

I hope this WIP is worth to be called a homebrew bounty entry!

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i always wanted to do a project like this just so i could write the story! lol. keep it up, this could turn into something great. anguna took just under 3 years to complete and its a pretty great game. so don't feel like you need to have this done in the next 6 months. we would all rather see something complete then find another great project get lost and forgotten!

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol