Your Thoughts On: Homebrew/Piracy status on the latest generation consoles

What Console/System would be the first to have Piracy / Homebrew on a decent level, for the End User

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, after some months we can se a HIGH progress on the scene of some systems, aka the Switch and the PS4 [Sorry Xbox, thanks to your Development Mode].

So we know that we might have Homebrew running on the switch pretty soon, as well as on the PS4, the scene development its running quite fast, and its time to aks that questions to the end users.

If you plan to purchase a Console these days, what would you choose and why?

Would the Piracy/Scene hit faster on one console than another? what are your thoughts on this?

Would you prefer a Switch over a Playstation 4? why? the price? the game? the portability? the scene? the piracy?

Let me know what you think!

D

Deleted User

Well to start I'm some guy with little technical knowledge getting into a technical discussion so I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about.

I bought the Switch when it was announced that the 3.01 update killed some bug which allowed homebrew. Given that CFW and modchips are already in development for the Switch I'm going to say that it will be the first console to pirate games on. I'm ignoring the PS4 here because only games released at or before early 2017 severely limits the usefulness of the 4.05 kernal exploit.

I'm very tempted to update my Switch right now because I don't care much for homebrew emulators and backup loading and we might see a New Switch with a better CPU and carbon supercapacitors replacing the battery in a few years.

I prefer the Switch because of the games.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm making a living on selling games so piracy is bad.
Well that and it being illegal n what not.

Anyway homebrew wise, I'm interested, to be specific, more interested in the crypto then homebrew apps.
As for cheats, fuck cheats and fuck cheaters.

Edit: PS4 has decent end user friendly public piracy on 4.05 and 1.76.
Your poll is already invalid.

Sarvesh50

Aye!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've not been following the recent news with the passion like i had around the nds wii and ps3 time.. But piracy took off faster on the ps3 after they managed to find the public key..
Right now i think homebrew and piracy have a better chance on the ps4 than the Switch.. The only reason i'm saying this is because the ps4 and xbone are using AMD x86-64 chips which is are similar to home pc's.
While Nintendo is using the Nvidia Tegra chips which are arm chips.. I assume there are more people with the skills to code for x86 than arm chips..
But hey that's a assumption i might be wrong :P

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've not been following the recent news with the passion like i had around the nds wii and ps3 time.. But piracy took off faster on the ps3 after they managed to find the public key..
Right now i think homebrew and piracy have a better chance on the ps4 than the Switch.. The only reason i'm saying this is because the ps4 and xbone are using AMD x86-64 chips which is are similar to home pc's.
While Nintendo is using the Nvidia Tegra chips which are arm chips.. I assume there are more people with the skills to code for x86 than arm chips..
But hey that's a assumption i might be wrong :P
Also, you might want to take in consideration, the amount of people that prefer the portability of the switch to mess around with an ARM.

Sarvesh50

Aye!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Also, you might want to take in consideration, the amount of people that prefer the portability of the switch to mess around with an ARM.
Yes you're right there the portability gives the Switch a massive edge. I wonder if there any talented coders on Xda following the news around the Switch..
They are already messing around with arm based devices (smartphones) delivering better performing custom roms and modified kernels and bootloaders.
It would be sick if they manage to run android on the switch :o

D

Deleted User

Honestly, once the 3DS Scene fades down, EoL exploits get released, and everyone generally moves on to the Switch/PS4, I don't see myself actively following a homebrew scene for any other console. What with smartphones and Android tablets gaining traction, there's less and less of a reason to hack a modern-day system. Mainly, it's for save backups and piracy. Especially that last bit. People don't have the time nor enthusiasm to check out homebrew apps and games. Besides, they'd gain a bigger audience releasing on Steam or going the official route of developing for the system instead.

That's not to shoot down the devs who are actively working in next-gen homebrew scenes (props to them, they pull off some impressive shit), but I just can't see myself modding any modern gaming console at this point, especially considering that the potential gains for doing so are becoming fewer and fewer. I mean, there's always game mods, which are always a blast to mess around with, but a lot of games for consoles have weird and/or proprietary file formats that require lots of research and reverse-engineering that can only be tackled by dedicated and knowledgeable individuals, so very few games will get mods as a result. Once in a blue moon you get a game using PNG files or something, but that's about it.

I'll probably just be sticking to my PC from here on out. It should carry me decently into the next-gen, and aside from some annoying DRM, it's an inherently more open platform any console could dream of being at the moment.

Reactions: Subtle Demise
D

Deleted User

At this rate it will be the switch unless the ps4 gets a spoofer or a rebug that allows cfw to work on the latest firmware meaning online functioning cfw systems and being able to pirate every game without firmware restrictions to launch the game.

Last edited by ,

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
you have aces you thousands of games if your a pirate you don't have any where near access to that if you buy all your games legally there is emulators and games from tons of systems if your a pirate.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as piracy goes on any console, I feel the impact is negligible at best, as it's less than 0.1% of the entire userbase that's actually doing any pirating. In the case of this generation, it's even less than that due the lack of really user-friendly modding and piracy tools.

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
As far as piracy goes on any console, I feel the impact is negligible at best, as it's less than 0.1% of the entire userbase that's actually doing any pirating. In the case of this generation, it's even less than that due the lack of really user-friendly modding and piracy tools.
there are only pirates on nintendo systems and pc nowdays.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there are only pirates on nintendo systems and pc nowdays.
No piracy on the switch yet. May not be anytime soon.

Nintendo consoles always seem to be the first to get hacked to that point. I doubt it's because of lack of security, more likely because they're an easy target for one reason or another. I think game piracy actually does more damage on the PC gaming front than anywhere else due to how mich easier it is to accomplish.

Reactions: ScarletDreamz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: