VR Gaming Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm interested in knowing how anyones tastes in gaming have changed over the years. Have you ever had a change in favorite genre or franchise? Did you once play nothing but platformers and moved on to now loving RPG's?

I started playing back in the days of the Atari 2600 and never stopped. I would play Pac-Man and PPhoenixall day. Back then Shmups were my favorite. Then the NES came along and changed all that. SMB made platformers my fav. genre and the system introduced me to the fantastic world of RPG's wwhichwould soon take over as my favorite genre for years. In the hey day of the arcade I dropped who knows how many hundreds into SF and MK and quickly changed from Playing RPG's nonstop to playing Fighters all the time.

Needless to say Now at age 36 I'd play just about anything and probably like it. I've owned at one time or another almost every system and hate fanboys. Every system has its positives and negatives (some more than others).

I could go on, but I think you guys will get the idea of what I'd like to know.

Please discuss your personal tastes and how they have changed if at all or your views on fanboyism.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I stopped playing Nintendo games and have joined the Sony master race.

[yt]teaP3HXYOgE[/yt]

But in all seriousness, I really don't know. Most of the games I played back in the day I'd still play and enjoy today. Not as a "nostalgic" game, but as a genuinely fun game. I can say that I can sit through a slower RPG nowadays while most of my games back in the day were pretty high on the action. I don't think I could sit through a turn based RPG like FFXIII ten years ago like I can today.

I've also found myself leaning towards a broader pallet of games. I'm not "diehard fan" of any genre or company (REMEMBER THE FIRST SENTENCE WAS A JOKE) and I really don't have many borders in terms of game genres and consoles. I have preferences but I don't have limits.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
It's funny, I don't necessarily play a game based upon genre, I play it whether or not I enjoy it. RPGs, FPS, MMOs, Platformers, whatever. I'm not sure whether or not that's "odd" or not, but that's just what I do. Although there are game genres I don't play, such as rhythm games, those shovelware Imagine titles (whatever genre those are), and...I think that's it.

Reactions: 1 person

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When i was young, Nintendo was the bomb. (how times have changed )
Now its a bit of super smash here, pokemon there.
But RPG'S and fighters have always been my preference.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Fyrus

Artilleur Carmin
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I played games since I was a kid, starting with a Megadrive and Sonic games.

A bit like the first post, I can play about every genre of game, Most of it has been done on Nintendo consoles, but I owned (and still own some) a PS2, a Saturn, a Dreamcast, and I went to get more and more information about gaming in general.

More than anything, I can't stand fanboys. Every console has its up and downs. Every deserve to be owned at some point.

Remember guys, Fanboys don't like their system, they just hate yours.

Reactions: 2 people

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't hold no allegiance to any specific console or franchise. If a system has a few games on it that I'd like to play I'll eventually get one play the games I wanted to play and sift through the rest of the titles available for it.

I at one time would not even look at a racing game but now Motorstorm has changed that. I'm totally addicted to Motorstorm RC.

I can't stand fanboy bullshit and can honestly say I never was one either.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I guess I could say I was bought up on RPGs, I will always remember the time my mum did two allnighters to play through FF7 because she had no memory card. She wouldn't let me play them though for some apparent reason, like she was trying to be the good parent and abide by the age rating. So whenever I went to my Dads, he always bought me one game, the first game I saw and picked was FF7, I was like 8 years old at the time, I can't really remember playing much of it, I just know I had it and it was cool. My second game was FF8, the same with FF7, I can't remember playing much of it because I didn't know what I was doing it but I still had it and it was cool. I don't think my mum was impressed when I came home with these games that she didn't let me play BUT THAT'S THE WHOLE FUN IN HAVING DIVORCED PARENTS!

After a while and the Dreamcast came out I got to play this amazing game, Skies of Arcadia. Oh my god, Vyse and his two swords, SO COOL. That bitch with the ginger hair can go home, I didn't like her (early signs of being gay? I THINK SO TOO). Of course, I played other games like any normal kid would do but the ones that stood out for me the most was RPGs. I don't know why but they was cool.

Anyway not to bore you with my whole life story but I find myself now enjoying more action games, like Bayonetta, Vanquish, Deus Ex, etc, etc. I'm trying to get myself into more FPS now but god damn it I'm shit at aiming. I still play RPGs of course but I need more action in my life.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As a kid I liked pretty much anything. Racing, puzzle, platformer, etc.
As a young teen (12-15) I was an FPS junkie like the rest of the world.
At around 16 I started to really get into RPGs. I had always played and liked 'em, but they weren't my primary genre.

Now I play pretty much only RPGs. If it doesn't have a good story, it usually bores the crap outta me. Though I also love building characters and such so I do also enjoy the occasional western RPG, like Gothic or Two Worlds. Oh and MMORPGs. Always love a good MMORPG.
Though I do like a variety of genres and play plenty of different kinds of games, RPGs are my primary source of fun.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I originally played anything that was 'playable', like platformers or games that didn't require careful perusal of a manual. Then I got hardcore into JRPGs (I'd already been into them in a small way, like SaGa and Pokemon, but the use of SNES emulators opened me up to everything). Now I play anything. I bought freakin' Duke Nukem' 3D on GOG for 3 bucks last week, and it's totally sweet*, though my average tastes trend towards Japanese games.

Of course, I've played so many games that I'm totally jaded. Honestly if you ask me on a bad day, I will be like, "EVERY GAME SUCKS EVER EXCEPT ROGUE-LIKES!!!" Oh, and my favorite genre of all time, Racing RPGs, is now defunct because the main development team that made most of them has disappeared from existence, and the crap NFS Underground games were put out to pasture (good riddance, but it's sad that racing RPG options are so damn limited now).

*I'm not a huge fan of FPSs, and I will only play multiplayer under duress. Though for what it's worth, Duke Nukem made up for all the crappy Star Wars FPSs I've had to suffer through**

**I am a huge fan of Star Wars.

With regard to fanboys, I do not care one way or another. Typical fanboyism is, "I'm too damn poor to afford any other systems, so I'm going to put all my effort into hating them and acting like I don't want them." Which is fine, I don't have anything against people who are selective with their money, or people that don't have a ton of money to blow on videogames. I'm slightly less OK with people that seriously convince themselves that what they don't have sucks, but at least that's smart consumerism. Nothing is worse than the dude who buys a super-expensive system and then freakin' complains when it has no games.

edit - not until about 4 years ago did I have a computer that could run something as new as say, Halo 1. So PC gaming has somewhat eluded me, but for my childhood when I had tons of PC gamer friends who would play crazy FPS/RTS while I watched, ahahah.

edit2 - and if my avatar didn't give it away, I am a huge fan of Takuma Endou (Way of The Samurai, Tenchu, Shinobido, current CEO of Acquire). The dude is like, a genius of game design. Every time that dumb fuck Inafune opens his mouth, I think Mr. Endou dies a little inside.

edit3 - I somehow left out my major stint with fighting games?! I'm an advanced level Tekken player (I've been hardcore into the series since 3), and have dabbled in pretty much every other fighting game in existence. I'd really love to play Street Fighter X Tekken some time.

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
i been gaming since the 2600 days as well, 431unknown (i rmmbr begging my mom for Pacman when that sucker came out- that game was a disappointment LOL-- edit:Mrspacman was waay better on the atari). So yeah, ive bounced through lots of game genres.
The past year+ i been really loving the extreme bullet hell type smhups like Ikaruga, [Do]DonPachi, Ketsui, pretty much any Cave shooter title.
I also really like Smash TV/Total Carnage style games (been playing Age of Zombies for psp this week, that game kills my thumb).

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
I used to be a Nintendo fanboy. I can admit it. Mario and Pokemon were the only games I ever played.

Nowadays, I own all the current consoles and handhelds (Except a Vita. Need to get one) and think each is good in their own regard. I still play Pokemon and Mario and whatnot, but I've moved into many other franchises and genres, like puzzle, stealth, or other RPG's, to name a few.

I'm a bit of an MGS fanboy now though. :P So I guess that's different.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i been gaming since the 2600 days as well, 431unknown (i rmmbr begging my mom for Pacman when that sucker came out- that game was a disappointment LOL). So yeah, ive bounced through lots of game genres.
The past year+ i been really loving the extreme bullet hell type smhups like Ikaruga, [Do]DonPachi, Ketsui, pretty much any Cave shooter title.
I also really like Smash TV/Total Carnage style games (been playing Age of Zombies for psp this week, that game kills my thumb).

Might I recommend Radirgy, if you can get access to one of the like 8 releases it's had (it's on the Milestone Shooting Collection, if you have a Wii).

Reactions: 2 people

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
i been gaming since the 2600 days as well, 431unknown (i rmmbr begging my mom for Pacman when that sucker came out- that game was a disappointment LOL-- Mrspacman was waay better on the atari). So yeah, ive bounced through lots of game genres.

The 2600 was actually my older brothers. I was around 4-5 years old when he got it and remember my dad bitching about him dropping a whole pay check on it and a couple of games. I'll never forget the day he brought that 2600 home.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
I've mainly been a Nintendo gamer my whole life, although I play on other consoles as well (PC and 360). I've always enjoyed action/adventure games, platformers, shooters (Both modern and traditional), and puzzle games.

Not really a big fan of racing games or RPGs, but I enjoy Mario Kart and Pokemon. :P Nintendo typically has some elements in their games that strays from the norm of whatever genre the game is. For instance, with Mario Kart, you get power ups. That wasn't a popular theme back when SMK first came out, and it's still not really that big of a theme today (Outside of Mario Kart that is). Or in Pokemon...It's an RPG, but instead of leveling up the player, you level up your Pokemon.

IDK, I've just always enjoyed Nintendo games. Most are typically laid back, and I can enjoy playing them, unlike a lot of games where they end up before more frustrating than fun. Of course, I love a good challenge, but not when I'm going to be tearing my hair out doing it.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I have gone back to playing more Nintendo games alot in the last 2 years. Mostly because my son wants me to play with him. He is still too young to want to play anything else yet. It's Mario or nothing for him(unless I'm playing angry birds he loves that game).

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No real change except I import all games now, due to the Western gaming selecting being stagnated, I blame Microsoft for it, the Western game market was never this bad as it is now.

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
I played anything Nintendo as a kid. Mainly Pokemon, though. It's the only Nintendo franchise I play to this day. I still play different genres, just mostly on the xbox360 & PC now.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Genre wise, I can't say too much has changed. I played more platformers when I was younger, but then again, I think it's fair to say that platformers (good ones, anyway) aren't all that prominent nowadays.

Actually, I am far more interested in stories in games now than when i was younger, so I guess that counts as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*