Which games can you go back to over and over, and they never get old?

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some folks don't like to re-read a book they've already read. Some don't like to replay a game they've already beaten.

But there are some things that are so good, you keep going back, even if you know them inside and out.

For me, as far as gaming, it's probably most of the old-skool Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games. I probably play Final Fantasy 1 on various platforms at least once or twice a year. Same with FFIV, and the first three Dragon Quest games. I know them all by heart to the point that I sometimes fall asleep just running through the entire game from memory.

I usually pass out by the time I get to Elftown.

As far as new games, I could play Skyrim until I died. And almost any Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat, but fighting games don't really count for this, I think. It's always different, no matter what.

What are your favorites that never get old?

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My problem is that I have a massive backlog of games and I never finish anything.
Once or twice a year I feel compelled to play No Man's Sky again. Then I realize how much has (and hasn't ) been improved, and I put it back down...until next time. Does that count?
I can't even describe my backlog of games to you.

I still have a standing stack of PHYSICAL PS3 and PS4 games that is over three feet tall. I have played one out of ten of those games. Five are still in the cellophane wrapper.

stompysan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Binding of Isaac. I have literally everything completed in the game, but I always find myself opening it every day or two for a random run. Pretty much my nightly routine: Get nightly stuff done, take medicine, play BOI until I get tired enough to sleep.

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Back in the 90's doing the same games over and over was kinda mandatory, because unless you were rich you didn't have a lot of games available to play. I mean I only got new games for my birthday and Christmas... So yeah I have replayed the Super Mario Bros games, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Secret Of Mana, A Link To The Past, Ocarina of Time, Blast Corps, Super Mario Kart, Street Fighter II, Super Mario Land 1-2-3, Mystic Quest etc to death, and I still go back to them once in a while because it's relaxing to play a game you know inside and out.

But nowadays it's so easy to have thousands of games at your disposal, I tend to just try them for a few minutes or a few days, then I drop them. I rarely invest enough time to finish a game anymore, let alone replaying it over and over. Last game I finishezd was Tears of the Kingdom and I don't see myself ever replaying because it's so time consuming and grindy.

The more recent game I finished and could see myself going back to was Anodyne.

Last edited by Ligeia,

Spring_Spring

Not Exactly Spotless
Trophies
Website
spring-enterprises.neocities.org
XP
Country
Denmark
There are a few games that I always keep coming back to, but I'll play them for just a bit of time and then leave them for a bit to do other things, but they always return later. The last such game was The Legend of Zelda. The original game is actually my favourite of the ones I've played.

Whoops, I was wrong, it was actually Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time. I can't even remember what I played when.

Last edited by Spring_Spring,
Reactions: Lostbhoy

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I try not to replay games very often but when u do its ps1/ps2 era platformers like the trilogy of Crash, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank and Sly etc. mainly 'cause of nostalgia and i beated them multiple times over the years it's just a blast when i get to visit them.
Hmm.. what else? Action rpgs like the Bethesda games, TES games (Oblivion & Skyrim) and FO 3/NV. the Mass Effect series is excellent too..

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are a few games that I always keep coming back to, but I'll play them for just a bit of time and then leave them for a bit to do other things, but they always return later. The last such game was The Legend of Zelda. The original game is actually my favourite of the ones I've played.

Whoops, I was wrong, it was actually Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time. I can't even remember what I played when.
I got the original Legend of Zelda for my 10th Christmas, and was obsessed from day one. I've played it so many times that I can now even pull off some of the glitches I never knew existed before YouTube, like the screen wrap trick. I can only pull it off like one out of twenty times, so I will never be a speedrunner, but it's still cool to know that I've reached that level.

EpikJimmer

Screw hater
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
mario and luigi bowser's inside story is also a game i always come back to.
Every once in a while i delete my 2nd file, start from the beggining and beat it 4 days after.

It's the first rpg i've ever played and my favourite one at that. The characters are filled with life, the spritework is pure eye candy, the music is amazing, the story is great (at least for mario standards), the gameplay doesn't get old and overall, i love this game.

Spring_Spring

Not Exactly Spotless
Trophies
Website
spring-enterprises.neocities.org
XP
Country
Denmark
I got the original Legend of Zelda for my 10th Christmas, and was obsessed from day one. I've played it so many times that I can now even pull off some of the glitches I never knew existed before YouTube, like the screen wrap trick. I can only pull it off like one out of twenty times, so I will never be a speedrunner, but it's still cool to know that I've reached that level.
Kudos to you. I've really only played it for about 6 years and haven't even beaten it yet. I've refused to look at any guides or videos, figuring everything out yourself is what makes the game interesting to me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto