WTF?????? NAND Updating Gone Wrong!

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by drfsupercenter, Dec 2, 2013.

1. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    Ignore that. He's using that name because of mere personal preference, but he's still referring to the same thing.

2. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pokébro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    redNAND is the more technically accurate term since the detection of the NAND is being redirected to the one that's on the SD card rather than the one on-board. And I guess phyNAND is easier than typing "real NAND" or anything like that. Probably not easier than just calling it a NAND, but then people would get confused at that, I'm sure (do you mean the emuNAND or the real NAND? etc. etc.).

3. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    Nope, it's not accurate; the emulated NAND doesn't behave like the real NAND, so just saying that is the same as the NAND but just stored and booted from another location is a fallacy (from my point of view).

Two relevant differences:
    1. Since it can't be loaded after a power cycle, something called keyY is missing. The point of this is that, due to this missing feature, it encrypts save files of newer games differently to the point of making them incompatible with regular updated systems.
    2. When you get a new app or game through the eShop, the activation tickets not only are stored on the EmuNAND, but also are written on the actual NAND.

4. IronClouds

May 8, 2010
    United States
    Your argument is that there are two relevant differences between the "emuNAND" and the physical NAND. I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I think you got the wrong idea with my post you quoted, buddy. ;)

5. Rockstead

Rockstead GBAtemp Regular

Sep 10, 2013
    Canada
    This all scares the crap out of me.

Has the Gateway team improved their instructions based on all this feedback? Or can the ops here make a sticky with better instructions.

Would a non beta release be more likely to have fail safes that would be able to prevent this from happening?

6. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    Why? You said it's more accurate but the final behaviour says otherwise. A redirected NAND suggest a redirection and same functionality, but this is not the true case, especially for the second point.

Check the quote I made a couple of posts back

7. IronClouds

May 8, 2010
    United States

I don't want to argue semantics with you; it's pointless. Your argument is about a point I never intended to make. So if you misunderstood it, then that's my mistake for wording it in that way. Let's just leave it at that and call it a day.

8. indask8

indask8 New Member Forever

Apr 19, 2007
    France
    Look at the Flag...
    Things I've noticed so far:

- Every time you quit system settings, the 3DS reboot... so you lose gateway mode.

Worse: Wifi settings are shared (I suspect they are saved inside the wifi chip), If you add a connection to your emunand, it will appear also on the original firmware.

My advice is that once you've updated successfully your emunand, disable wifi, better safe than sorry.

9. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    My advice would be: Once you have updated the emuNAND; reject any update prompt that could appear; if you wish, check on the internet if a new firmware was released, so you can update following the same careful procedure of before.

10. Rainbowsixvegas6

Rainbowsixvegas6 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2013
    Argentina
    I've actually noticed the wifi saving also. What I did when I updated was to delete the wifi settings off of the real nand, and then I noticed that the wifi settings was still stored for the emuNand. I then rebooted and into real Nand and the wifi settings was not stored there.

11. T3GZdev

T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Works fine for me. Backed up nand.y extra eds is on 4.5.0. In gw mode it emus 6.x.x after update but can go back to 4.5.0.

12. Rockstead

Rockstead GBAtemp Regular

Sep 10, 2013
    Canada
    Not sure which quote you are referring to?

13. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    This:
    Against this:

14. sudeki300

sudeki300 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 20, 2004
    ok so can i get some conformation on this as i'm about to update my emuNAND,

once your in the emuNAND and setup the wireless settings, you have to come back out and boot back into gateway mode before updating the emuNAND in the settings menu.......................sudeki300

15. drfsupercenter
    OP

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    OK, so... consensus has it that somehow I went back to the real NAND after accepting Nintendo's EULA.

Even though I never actually left system settings.

Well, I wish I would have known that. I was just told not to leave system settings, which I technically didn't. :/

So... who can restore my NAND for me? I'll pay shipping both ways.

16. Daelan

Daelan Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    100% that it was drfsupercenter exiting the system settings then going and updating, or he setup wireless then went back into settings and updated, both of which would cause his failure.

17. Rainbowsixvegas6

Rainbowsixvegas6 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2013
    Argentina
    Yeah I think the mistake he made was after adding the wifi settings, and going straight to update without rebooting back into EmuNand. I noticed that when I added my wifi setting that it also added the same setting to my real nand. It could be that when you add a new wifi connection it reverts back to real nand. I had to delete the wifi settings for my real nand and just left the setting on in emu nand, but disabled wifi.

18. Daelan

Daelan Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    I can confirm that you have to remove the wifi settings from real nand afterwards to only have them on the emunand. A bit surprising but that's how it is.

19. drfsupercenter
    OP

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    I think they should add that to their documentation then.

I took that to mean "once you see GW3D, add a connection, then update". Since I was already *in* Gateway mode... they should make it very clear that setting up a Wi-Fi setting will force you to leave Gateway mode and that you have to shut down your system, and reboot it into Gateway mode once again

Can you really blame me for assuming I was all set when it said GW3D in the bottom right before I went to update it? :/

I'm not mad at Gateway team or anything, just want this to be a warning for anyone else... and I still need someone to flash my 3DS's NAND back for me...

Queno138 likes this.
  20. Queno138

Queno138 Ravens

Sep 18, 2010
    Senegal
    Luigi's Dark Mansion
    that occurred to me.
    My WiFi settings reappeared in System-Nand/Real-Nand,
    so I had to re-delete it in SysNand/RealNand, and confirmed it's only in EmuNand after that.

It's the only way..

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted