WTF?????? NAND Updating Gone Wrong!

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by drfsupercenter, Dec 2, 2013.

1. drfsupercenter
    OP

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    OK, I have NO idea how this happened, but I'm pretty pissed right now.

I made a NAND backup with my Gateway 2.0 beta, then formatted the NAND as instructed.

Booted it into Gateway mode, which showed my Gateway card (I had Kid Icarus Uprising on the MicroSD)

Under system settings, it very clearly said GW3D 4.5.0-10U. So I flipped the wireless switch, set up an Internet connection, accepted the network agreement, and hit system update. It did its stuff and said the system will now reboot.

Well now it seems I have 6.3.0-12U installed on the REAL NAND, not even the emuNAND!!

I tried going back to the DS profile, and as I figured, it just gave an error and rebooted the 3DS.

I realize it's a beta, but good lord! Has anyone else run into this? So... now what? I do have a NAND.bin file... but I can't solder so I'm guessing I won't be able to restore the thing myself. Is there anyone here in America that would be willing to flash my NAND back for me?

2. drfsupercenter
    OP

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    Hmm. I just put the SD card in my computer, and it's labeled GATEWAYNAND, with only a Launcher.dat and the Nintendo 3DS folder.

No actual NAND.bin file. What does this mean? Even if I take the SD out and start the system with no SD inserted, it says 6.3.0-12U.

3. Kouen Hasuki

Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    It sounds like you updated your 3DS rather than the emulated NAND.

this is why its in Beta still and ya I feel bad for ya but time to get annoyed about it :(

4. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    My feel is for you, but at the same time, thank you for taking one for the beta team

i shaloot u

ground, aiat_gamer and Kouen Hasuki like this.
  5. drfsupercenter
    OP

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    I suppose this is the reason we have backups, right? :)

I'm trying to be positive about this, I just lack the skills required to restore a NAND backup, since I know it involves soldering. Someone help me out here. :/

octopus likes this.
  6. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    I hope your 3DS is an XL model, otherwise you are going to have a bad time.

By the way. I would exit and then reenter to GW mode and then to system settings again after changing the Network settings.

7. voddy

voddy No Title Available

Jul 14, 2013
    United States
    i guess you forgot to put the nand.bin back to the sd after you formatted your nand image.. (if needed?)

8. Quicksilver88

Quicksilver88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 26, 2013
    United States
    So what part of the country do you live in???

First off.....the don't document this well enough....but you have to take the SD card out of your system after doing the Nand backup and transfer the file to your PC.......then you put card back in and move to the next step.............when you create the emunand partition is erases the SD card and wipes the nand backup file. I actually did the backup twice and then compared MD5 hash to make sure the file was the same....I am afraid if you didn't get that 1GB nand file backed up before you made the EmuNand you may be in real trouble with doing a restore....DO NOT ERASE your EmuNand SD card if this is the case...maybe there will be a way to raw image it with win32 and send it to Gateway and they can extract your 4.5 Nand from the EmuNand card?

I just finished update myself and it was fingers crossed all the way....looks like it worked and I am now on eShop and downloading the new YouTube client...

Also are you on 3DS or XL as the solder job is a little harder on the non-XL unit because you have to put a wire on the back side of the board....

Lastly....I think it would have been better if GateWay did not rush this out as it is buggy and the instructions are not crystal clear....if it is miss-firing and updating people's system nand that is going to piss off a lot of people.

9. Kouen Hasuki

Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker

Unfortunatley thats the price you pay for using Beta software though. :hateit:

10. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    Offtopic alert: The price I paid for attempting to use this beta firmware is that my cheap chinese SD reader decided to stop working today and it corrupted my SD card. I'm hoping I can get some help to restore the files; I have a backup of the raw data of my SD.

11. Ennea

Ennea GBAtemp Regular

Oct 5, 2013
    Gambia, The
    How are they not crystal clear? Also, from the low amount of reports of people who accidentally updated their system NAND, it almost seems like it's not a bug, but rather that these people did something wrong during the process of updating.

12. DisasterTheory

DisasterTheory Member

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2013
    United States
    I'm sorry for your loss. Pretty much same thing happened to me with old PS3, accidentally updated 3.55 :-(

13. Pong20302000

Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Sep 8, 2009
    One's inner self
    i think what most people dont realize

once you enter the settings in a RedNAND (Redirected), leaving the settings and then going back will often then boot the console back into PhyNAND (Phyical NAND)
    so make a cahnge to you PhyNAND home Menu, be it changing Icon Size, move stuff around
    the RedNAND will then be noticable when you are in it

tjexp, TheDreamLord, geishroy and 2 others like this.
  14. razielleonhart

razielleonhart RazzyDee

May 21, 2008
    also in the same damn boat. i am just going to sell it and buy a 3ds xl my friend got on black friday for $165 and beat the crap out of my self just for the hell of it

15. JonnyMohawk

JonnyMohawk Member

Newcomer
    Feb 24, 2012
    United States
    What I did to prevent this from happening is delete all my internet connections on my true nand. Once the emunand has been created/loaded then add the wireless internet connection.

That way if it does redirect to the true nand you wouldn't be able to accidentally update it without having to again enter all your wireless details which should obviously be a big warning alarm.

tjexp, opal, redkeyboard and 2 others like this.
  16. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    This is what I suspect also and the method is very smart. Better yet, create two empty folders with respective names on each NAND - this will make the disctinction a simple matter of checking that folder.

Condolences to the OP, thanks for the infomation. Now users wil be extra-careful when performing this procedure.

geishroy likes this.
  17. geishroy

geishroy Suspended

Suspended
    Dec 10, 2008
    United States

These are both very good options since it is kind of confusing that there is little indication of which nand you are on. Everyone should do either this or what pong has said to save you guys some trouble in the future.

18. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    I don't think that will work if the update is already downloaded on the system. I recall reading a message saying "it's not necessary an internet connection to perform the update", so I don't know, maybe this message could make the difference in this case.

19. octopus

octopus Member New

Sep 6, 2013
    Somalia
    Yeah, just create a folder on your emuNAND with letter E or whatever and put it to the top left corner to never confuse it with real nand.

20. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    Well, this may work only if you are planning to update using a the update partition of a retail game.

Aside for updates, there's no point on getting the distinction on the main menu.