Hacking Would you contribute to devs for emulators?

Monies?

• Yay!

Votes: 22 64.7%
  • Aw hell naw.

Votes: 12 35.3%

• Total voters

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The question posed in the topic was whether one would contribute to devs for emulators. Seems like his post was perfectly on topic.

The thing is though, why does it matter if we already have emulators on X amount of devices? There's nothing inherently bad or wrong about people wanting to have emulators on the Wii U, really. Not everyone likes playing emulators on a 3" screen or with horribly touch controls *shrug*. I know I don't, too cramped and inconvenient, besides, the Wii U actually has power to do so.

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
The thing is though, why does it matter if we already have emulators on X amount of devices? There's nothing inherently bad or wrong about people wanting to have emulators on the Wii U, really. Not everyone likes playing emulators on a 3" screen or with horribly touch controls *shrug*. I know I don't, too cramped and inconvenient, besides, the Wii U actually has power to do so.
As someone who tried to play SMW on an Android device, I can second this notion. Still no idea how you're meant to hold Y, tap B and hold the phone at the same time. Touchscreen controls are just terrible.

(didn't stop me grinding the koopa line in YI2 up to 99 lives)

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As someone who tried to play SMW on an Android device, I can second this notion. Still no idea how you're meant to hold Y, tap B and hold the phone at the same time. Touchscreen controls are just terrible.

(didn't stop me grinding the koopa line in YI2 up to 99 lives)

The only mobile device I play on is my Shield Tablet with a Bluetooth controller, motion controls for emulators be damned; having it on the Wii U would be fantastic, as there's no Snes9x 1.54 on Android, or Nestopia for that matter, at least, not by themselves. I wish there was a way I could help your ports, you know?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i couldnt ever play a single n64 game; too much slowdowns and lag.
Fixed, as the kids might say.

As for the question of the OP then even were I not broke I would have to ask if this device is worth the effort. Historically the xbox and the wii were either relatively or very cheap ways to have a device playing all manner of games and media on your TV, which quite possibly did not have a VGA or something you could stick a PC into. Likewise the GBA and DS represented quite possibly the best options for handhelds.
The wii u is not ubiquitous (the wii kind of was), especially cheap (give or take the occasional get this crap stock out of my shops sell offs), easy to hack (especially not compared to the likes of android and raspberry pis where that is often the whole point) nor of great enough power or suitable architecture/peripherals to make something terribly interesting happen (I guess having GBA emulation with dedicated screens could be nice but it is hardly earth shattering and nor is it impossible to do otherwise as most computers from laptops on up can output dual monitors these days).

To that end I would probably even go so far as to suggest anybody contemplating buying an emulator dev a beer would do better buying one of the PC ones doing good stuff or improving debuggers (a good debugger makes for more hacked and translated games) one.
I would also wonder how much incentive would have to be given, some might do it for a some beer money but if you are hoping to equal or at least be realistic compared to a salary (emulator coding is not something for the just squeaked through java school programmer after all) then that could change how things play out or what is required.
I am always happy to see new emulators on new devices but times have changed with regards to things being the most viable means to do something.

Reactions: Ryccardo

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Fixed, as the kids might say.

As for the question of the OP then even were I not broke I would have to ask if this device is worth the effort. Historically the xbox and the wii were either relatively or very cheap ways to have a device playing all manner of games and media on your TV, which quite possibly did not have a VGA or something you could stick a PC into. Likewise the GBA and DS represented quite possibly the best options for handhelds.
The wii u is not ubiquitous (the wii kind of was), especially cheap (give or take the occasional get this crap stock out of my shops sell offs), easy to hack (especially not compared to the likes of android and raspberry pis where that is often the whole point) nor of great enough power or suitable architecture/peripherals to make something terribly interesting happen (I guess having GBA emulation with dedicated screens could be nice but it is hardly earth shattering and nor is it impossible to do otherwise as most computers from laptops on up can output dual monitors these days).

To that end I would probably even go so far as to suggest anybody contemplating buying an emulator dev a beer would do better buying one of the PC ones doing good stuff or improving debuggers (a good debugger makes for more hacked and translated games) one.
I would also wonder how much incentive would have to be given, some might do it for a some beer money but if you are hoping to equal or at least be realistic compared to a salary (emulator coding is not something for the just squeaked through java school programmer after all) then that could change how things play out or what is required.
I am always happy to see new emulators on new devices but times have changed with regards to things being the most viable means to do something.
i have a real n64 and manny games for it, it was my first console, besides rogue squadron last level most n64 games slowdowns are passable imo atleast nothing to cry over about compared to the psp emulator.

Why would i pay anything to a pc emu dev? we can preety much play anything on pc, and pc emulators have a huge userbase already no need the few of us wiiu owners giving money to pc devs lol, the point of having emulators on the console is not to use the pc.

Console emulators are amazing, i remenber on my wii having wii64 and taking my small wii to my causins house and we all played mario party 1,2 or 3 or mario kart 64 and it was a huge blast, having the emulator on pc wouldnt allow me that, since the wii is tiny and easy to transport and its much easier to have 4 wii/gc controllers and playing the games on the TV than getting 4 people to gather around a laptop or home pc using random pc hid controllers, also does anyone even have 4 pc controllers laying around? probably not, on the wii/gc everyone had manny controllers due to manny multiplayer based games already being a thing.

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would but only if they are working on creating emulators for handhelds. For at home I find that my PC does an amazing job. Handhelds are kinda hit and miss for me. The PSP while really good, the battery was awful on it. 3DS needs a lot of work. All other clones are somewhere in the middle with crap controls.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
PC emulation is not quite there yet and there is always more accuracy, better filters and tighter interfaces to go in for. Also as mentioned debuggers for systems that are not the NES or possibly GBA (DS kind of as well) are somewhat underwhelming, more debuggers does mean more translated and hacked games.

I fear you are somewhat behind the times with your PC... analogy I guess it is. With most of the console controllers being USB or bluetooth or otherwise readily able to be adapted, the 360 controller being the de facto game controller on PC last go around, then yeah having multiple controllers is very much an option now. Likewise a basic laptop can plug into a screen via HDMI and do very well for itself.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Deleted member 42501

OP
Trophies
XP
Hopefully now that we are only a few clicks away from IOSU the admins here will consider this idea and all those of us that wish to offer some funds can in order to spur the devs into action and give the Wii U a last hurrah.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Was a dark time