Feedback Homebrew I want to recreate TVii. What do you think about?

CarlosNunezMX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello world, I saw the DanielSosa project, and I loved it, when it dies, I still having the wish to test it, so I decided to recreate it.

In my version I want to include
- TV Guides
- IPTV for public channels
- A simple chat for shows

My features, that i want to include
- Anime viewer (AnimeFLV/Gogo Anime)
- Manga viewer (Novel Cool)

How I want to create it.
I want to have a some projects, modules for web scrapping, a nodejs server for serving content, a user friendly chat using their nnid, and a Typescript WiiU client (has been transpiled to ES2015)

What you think about it? It's a good idea?
If you consider its be spam I will delete the post immediately.

Trophies
XP
It's not really spam, but.. Do you actually know how to do any of this? Several threads akin to this one pop up from time to time, and they usually consist of someone having an idea for a project and / or port without any idea what needs to be done to even get started working on it.

First of all, do you aim to restore the service? If so, that requires being able to understand exactly how it worked in the first place in order to restore it on top of the official app- similar to the work Pretendo did. Or do you aim to create your own separate service? This would be (somewhat) easier, but it'd still require an immense amount of work that especially working on your own- wouldn't see much fruit in months, if not years.

In my version I want to include
- TV Guides
- IPTV for public channels
- A simple chat for shows

My features, that i want to include
- Anime viewer (AnimeFLV/Gogo Anime)
- Manga viewer (Novel Cool)

How I want to create it.
I want to have a some projects, modules for web scrapping, a nodejs server for serving content, a user friendly chat using their nnid, and a Typescript WiiU client (has been transpiled to ES2015)

A lot of these features seem pretty far fetched, especially the way you intend to create them. How do you plan to host the servers required for this? It's not free, and it requires a lot of maintenance. Modules for web scraping and a NodeJS server serving content? Sounds all well and good, but how do you plan to receive the content on the console? You need a front-end in order to fetch and display content. A chat displaying their NNID? Holy hell, the chat part alone would be a massive undertaking. Adding everything else on top of it such as TV Guides, IPTV channels, Anime and Manga viewers? This project even with a dedicated team would take a massive amount of time and work- and the Wii U scene doesn't exactly have that kind of manpower.

Getting this project working aside, how do you expect to be able to properly serve all of this? Especially from a legal standpoint? Services such as IPTV are extremely fickle as it's all based around the licenses the services are holding. For example, you can find a website hosting them without any issues, and that's because they have permission. But if you take what they're broadcasting and put it in your service without permission? You could be held liable to legal issues unless you get express permission from the license holders. As for Anime and Manga? Same issue. Unless it's open-domain, or licensed in a way that allows distribution you could also be held liable.

Lastly, a specialized TypeScript Wii U Client? Seriously? Do I even need to explain at this point the sheer amount of work that'd take? Even the act of getting started on a project like this would be a challenge for an experienced developer. If you aren't? You aren't going to get anywhere with this. So my advice? Unless you have a clear plan of action, and the know-how to put it into motion... give up.

Reactions: Scarlet

CarlosNunezMX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It's not really spam, but.. Do you actually know how to do any of this? Several threads akin to this one pop up from time to time, and they usually consist of someone having an idea for a project and / or port without any idea what needs to be done to even get started working on it.

First of all, do you aim to restore the service? If so, that requires being able to understand exactly how it worked in the first place in order to restore it on top of the official app- similar to the work Pretendo did. Or do you aim to create your own separate service? This would be (somewhat) easier, but it'd still require an immense amount of work that especially working on your own- wouldn't see much fruit in months, if not years.

A lot of these features seem pretty far fetched, especially the way you intend to create them. How do you plan to host the servers required for this? It's not free, and it requires a lot of maintenance. Modules for web scraping and a NodeJS server serving content? Sounds all well and good, but how do you plan to receive the content on the console? You need a front-end in order to fetch and display content. A chat displaying their NNID? Holy hell, the chat part alone would be a massive undertaking. Adding everything else on top of it such as TV Guides, IPTV channels, Anime and Manga viewers? This project even with a dedicated team would take a massive amount of time and work- and the Wii U scene doesn't exactly have that kind of manpower.

Getting this project working aside, how do you expect to be able to properly serve all of this? Especially from a legal standpoint? Services such as IPTV are extremely fickle as it's all based around the licenses the services are holding. For example, you can find a website hosting them without any issues, and that's because they have permission. But if you take what they're broadcasting and put it in your service without permission? You could be held liable to legal issues unless you get express permission from the license holders. As for Anime and Manga? Same issue. Unless it's open-domain, or licensed in a way that allows distribution you could also be held liable.

Lastly, a specialized TypeScript Wii U Client? Seriously? Do I even need to explain at this point the sheer amount of work that'd take? Even the act of getting started on a project like this would be a challenge for an experienced developer. If you aren't? You aren't going to get anywhere with this. So my advice? Unless you have a clear plan of action, and the know-how to put it into motion... give up.
Maybe I want to recreate my own experience, with a similar design but more modern
I know , so I've the anime, and manga scrappers ready in NPM (Spanish versions), If I can't take the IPTV sources not problem, so I save it for myself.

- I experimented with Socket Io on WiiU and it worked, so make a chat is easier.

- Anime viewer, it has in a legal whole in my country, but I don't know in another countries.

- Same with manga viewer

- Why not I didn't before, I don't know how to program in c++

- Typescript is working on WiiU, making some changes oviusly (change to only JavaScript with AMD JavaScript modules)

- And yes, the last problem I didn't think it before, so its may be a problem. I will try to get some money.

- All features been modules

Trophies
XP
If you have the knowledge to do this, then go ahead. Most of these features seem like they can mostly be done externally, save for a few things- such as the chat information.

In order to do something like that you'd need to be able to include information pulling within the Wii U side of it, and pass each client's NNID to the server in order to display the name with each message. Not even counting the fact that you need to be able to prompt input from the console, then accept, pass, and display it.

Then it boils down to the frontend for the Wii U side itself. This is the part that gets a bit tricky, which is why I asked you this initial question.

First of all, do you aim to restore the service? ... Or do you aim to create your own separate service?

The reason I ask this is because if you aim to restore the service exactly as it was, then the frontend is basically already all there for you. You'd just need to undertake the endeavor of restoring the app's features (which is easier said than done, but it could mostly be accomplished by patching the original external content with your own). The problem with this approach, is that you can't really add new features as there's no source to work with. Unless you want to try a decompilation of the app itself of course- but that'd take a good amount of time as well.

If you were to create your own service, while you'd have to create the frontend and all other Wii U side features yourself, there's room for adding and updating features at will. It's more work, but it also results in a product that you're able to modify with less restrictiveness (this is of course assuming that the TVii service did most of the client side stuff on the console itself, I've not taken a look at it so I could be wrong in this assumption).

Both of these approaches have their problems. The biggest ones they both share are the amount of time, and effort needed in order to gain progress. Like I said, doing this on your own would take vast amounts of time that you may not be willing to put put forth. Putting together a competent team is almost out of the question as well as most of the devs in the Wii U scene simply work in their freetime, so you wouldn't be able to easily find devs willing to shell out that amount of time and effort either.

None if this is meant to discourage you, I just want to properly inform people who wish to undertake tasks such as this the issues that they'll be dealing with before they encounter them.

CarlosNunezMX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thanks for your attention and your tips, I appreciate it so much.

I don't know so much from WiiU internal process or make reverse engineering. With this project plus the Nintendo TVII revival, I want to learn more about WiiU internal process (NNID), I think about it, and I trust that knowledge I can take from pretendo GitHub Repositorys (giving their acknowledgments(rare word XD)).

For base I'll take for make a simple patcher
GitHub - darcellapy/vino-config-patcher-plugin

I think that the identification in NN is done with a token that will be the problem, I thought it better to do another type of verification, I don't know with discord or something similar.
In the past I had a similar chat with discord, using nnids for user identification but I don't know if this way is easier for the end user.

I think I would go more in the sense of making a similar service, I don't think it's that easy to replicate TVii, since I didn't use it.

Trophies
XP
I thought it better to do another type of verification, I don't know with discord or something similar.
In the past I had a similar chat with discord, using nnids for user identification but I don't know if this way is easier for the end user.

The best way to ensure a smooth user experience when it comes to verification is to simply make your own. Discord could work, but it also relies on a third-party service to host your verification processes. This makes it unreliable, and could be potentially dangerous depending on if it gets intercepted (Discord, as well as Discord hosted tools aren't exactly known for being safe).

Creating it yourself would allow more control (such as the banning of users), modularity, ease of use (as it'd be designed specifically for your service), and safety (because you'd be the one hosting it). The only problem is.. well, hosting it. Doing so would require a dedicated server capable of handling both incoming requests, but also being able to send the proper messages to the connected clients. Doing so would obviously require a stable server, which is once again not free (unless you're comfortable with a physical server in your home. This would allow free hosting as long as you did it bare-metal [which means no domain, just direct IP connection, this brings more safety issues though as most bare-metal servers are HTTP, not HTTPS which leaves the server vulnerable]).

Anyways, like I said; even getting started on something like this is a huge undertaking. If you're still willing to try, then kudos to you. Just keep your expectations realistic.

CarlosNunezMX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The best way to ensure a smooth user experience when it comes to verification is to simply make your own. Discord could work, but it also relies on a third-party service to host your verification processes. This makes it unreliable, and could be potentially dangerous depending on if it gets intercepted (Discord, as well as Discord hosted tools aren't exactly known for being safe).

Creating it yourself would allow more control (such as the banning of users), modularity, ease of use (as it'd be designed specifically for your service), and safety (because you'd be the one hosting it). The only problem is.. well, hosting it. Doing so would require a dedicated server capable of handling both incoming requests, but also being able to send the proper messages to the connected clients. Doing so would obviously require a stable server, which is once again not free (unless you're comfortable with a physical server in your home. This would allow free hosting as long as you did it bare-metal [which means no domain, just direct IP connection, this brings more safety issues though as most bare-metal servers are HTTP, not HTTPS which leaves the server vulnerable]).

Anyways, like I said; even getting started on something like this is a huge undertaking. If you're still willing to try, then kudos to you. Just keep your expectations realistic.
Thanks for your answer, if I would like to continue with the project, btw if I can't host it, at least I want to leave everything on GitHub as it will be useful for me 😅 or another guy.

I really do this because I've always wanted to collaborate with the Nintendo Wii U community. And one thing I haven't seen is a dedicated media center for the console or something like.

Trophies
XP
And one thing I haven't seen is a dedicated media center for the console.

Here's an idea. Instead of trying to recreate a service like TVii- you could lay the groundwork to allow a user to host a local media server. Then you could create a frontend that allows the user to specify the IP / Port, etc of the server and have it be able to externally load both videos and music.

This eliminates a lot of the work such as hosting and verification from your part as it requires the user to use their own. The main work you'd have to do is creating the frontend which accepts the connection, displays the content of the server, and allows playback from it.

The rest would be a matter of creating a sort of template server so that the app knows what to accept. Then the user launches it and uses it like any other media center service.

CarlosNunezMX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Here's an idea. Instead of trying to recreate a service like TVii- you could lay the groundwork to allow a user to host a local media server. Then you could create a frontend that allows the user to specify the IP / Port, etc of the server and have it be able to externally load both videos and music.

This eliminates a lot of the work such as hosting and verification from your part as it requires the user to use their own. The main work you'd have to do is creating the frontend which accepts the connection, displays the content of the server, and allows playback from it.

The rest would be a matter of creating a sort of template server so that the app knows what to accept. Then the user launches it and uses it like any other media center service.
It may be a good idea, as a complementary project, I think it would even facilitate the creation of plugins, which the user can install by copying a folder.

And another TVii features may be extensions, 'cause really I want to include anime into the app.

So, I think it's good idea put it in Nintendo TVii, 'cause I didn't see any pretendo movement for Nintendo TVii revival.

So, it's electron learning time. LoL

PoorPocketsMcNewHold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for your attention and your tips, I appreciate it so much.

I don't know so much from WiiU internal process or make reverse engineering. With this project plus the Nintendo TVII revival, I want to learn more about WiiU internal process (NNID), I think about it, and I trust that knowledge I can take from pretendo GitHub Repositorys (giving their acknowledgments(rare word XD)).

For base I'll take for make a simple patcher
GitHub - darcellapy/vino-config-patcher-plugin

I think that the identification in NN is done with a token that will be the problem, I thought it better to do another type of verification, I don't know with discord or something similar.

I think I would go more in the sense of making a similar service, I don't think it's that easy to replicate TVii, since I didn't use it.
The LatteU people are already at work on that. Their website and all isn't really setup, but you can find the link to their Discord server in the website index.html source, As I doubt I can freely advertise it on GBATemp.
They got a couple of configurations for it on their server.
Here's one test vino config from darcellapy.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/darcellapy/cdn/main/vino_config.txt

The big issue here, is mainly having to work with the very limited NetFront Browser. It's like WebKit, but in far more limited. You are free to host your own static website, and see how the WiiU reacts to that. I hadn't even been able to really load Jellyfin on it, even direct video, so here we go.

CarlosNunezMX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
How I said the project is dead, If it's alive I dont published this post
Post automatically merged:

The LatteU people are already at work on that. Their website and all isn't really setup, but you can find the link to their Discord server in the website index.html source, As I doubt I can freely advertise it on GBATemp.
They got a couple of configurations for it on their server.
Here's one test vino config from darcellapy.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/darcellapy/cdn/main/vino_config.txt

The big issue here, is mainly having to work with the very limited NetFront Browser. It's like WebKit, but in far more limited. You are free to host your own static website, and see how the WiiU reacts to that. I hadn't even been able to really load Jellyfin on it, even direct video, so here we go.
On the WiiU it is possible to serve remote content, using a proxy for the WiiU to get the data from the computer. Thanks to this possibility I have been able to use remote sources as fembed on the WiiU.

WiiU browsers support JavaScript in 2015 version, so the problem is CSS support, it's not good, no flexbox or grid support

routerProxy.get("/", async (req, res) => {
return await fetch(req.query.url, { headers: { range: req.headers.range } }).then(async response => {
if (!response.ok) return res.status(404).json({ success: false })
res.set(await getFetchHeader(response.headers))

response.body.pipe(res.status(206))
response.body.on('error', () => { })
})
})

I tried this code and locally it worked.

Attachments

• Screenshots_2023-07-13-12-16-42.png
    Screenshots_2023-07-13-12-16-42.png
    38.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited by CarlosNunezMX,

davidjoaq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Hi, just found this thread, the project is still alive, thought not as Latte U anymore, we have the url hosted at https://tvii.kesug.com/ and we got a lot of API documentation and help from Pretendo (they are not going to revive the service), so yeah, its not dead...

btw there is no server yet, and the page i sent is just an UI demo (it does work fine on the actual app), so yeah im recreating the entire UI from 0 which is not easy but yeah

Escancoranco

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
soychico.trucoteca.com
XP
Country
Spain
Hi, just found this thread, the project is still alive, thought not as Latte U anymore, we have the url hosted at https://tvii.kesug.com/ and we got a lot of API documentation and help from Pretendo (they are not going to revive the service), so yeah, its not dead...

btw there is no server yet, and the page i sent is just an UI demo (it does work fine on the actual app), so yeah im recreating the entire UI from 0 which is not easy but yeah
any updates on this?

davidjoaq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
its not

its still on development, as part of the Sapphire team, which are a miiverse clone server

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Why is it always a mexican that comes here and goes like "Yo, i wanna recreate this thing almost nobody but me would care about (Heck im 99% sure TVii wasn't avaliable in Mexico) and i have little to no experience doing ANY of the things i wanna do... Also add like a bunch of new features"

• Haha
Reactions: CarlosNunezMX

MagmaMan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trophies
XP
Jesus christ, a revival for TVii?
I'm excited.

[On reference to that, do you need to have a old system version? On 5.5.5E the icon for TVii won't appear, but someone claims they were able to get the icon back on Juxtaposition.]

Escancoranco

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
soychico.trucoteca.com
XP
Country
Spain
Jesus christ, a revival for TVii?
I'm excited.

[On reference to that, do you need to have a old system version? On 5.5.5E the icon for TVii won't appear, but someone claims they were able to get the icon back on Juxtaposition.]
you can get the icon back by reverting your wii u menu version, but its pretty risky and hard to do, also it might cause trouble in some stuff; however if youre using aroma just try this, its not an applet so it wont appear on the gamepad pause screen but will open it from the main menu

Attachments

• TVii.zip
    65.8 KB · Views: 12

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Hey boi, keep your nuts out of chat. Unless you want them to get roasted. :ninja: