Hacking Wood R4 BUGS and Compatibility

kineticUk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know if its possible to have a look at this, the game is still playable.
Running on wood r4igold 1.29b.

Game name: Animal Crossing Wild World
Release number: 0389 (E)
Clean ROM: YES
What the bug is: Seems to running slower than I had previously noticed. Loading it up the intro is less smooth than it was and the music breaks up a bit.

Thanks

kineticUk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
z.g said:
Is previously you use the same microsd? What was wood version?
Previously used Kingston Class 2 (Japanese) and currently using Kingston Class 4.
I have been using wood for some time and have not loaded animal crossing for a long time, so the version I used previously could have been as far back as 1.18 etc
Maybe this is the result of using larger capacity mSD, I wonder is there anything that can be done to improve wood performance with this game when using newer high capacity mSDs?
I was previously using an akRPG though now I am on r4igold hardware... I will check when I can and see if the RPG is the same.
Anyway if there is anything that can be done to tweak this to run even better with difficult games that would be nice. Thank you for the reply and help.
QUOTE(Nollog @ May 18 2011, 05:52 PM) Is the latest 1.0.6 as in the OP or 1.29 as on filetrip?
1.29 is the latest wood release right now.

ywg

Trophies
XP
Country
sojikun86 said:
Akumajou Dracula - Gallery of Labyrinth (J)
have a bug about movie because it sound come before picture in the op movie in the latter
kineticUK said:
Game name: Animal Crossing Wild World
What the bug is: Seems to running slower than I had previously noticed. Loading it up the intro is less smooth than it was and the music breaks up a bit.A small piece of theory. All original ds carts can be two types: 1.5 mbyte/s and 6 mbyte/s transfer speed. Also this speed very constant: any sector in any order always readed with declared speed.
The microsd is a different story. there is no constant speed even you read same sector at one card many times. Each time you get different result.
Some games use card events to synchronization. especially in video. So even on very fast cards possible synchronization lost in video in some games. On slow cards you can experience video and sound breaks. This is not firmware bug, but hardware limitation.
Both games, mentioned above use 6 mb/s carts. I check, and yes on slow cart annimal crossing have sound breaks in intro. but castlevania is ok for me even on slow cart.
BTW there is another problem with games from slow cards. Some games don't expect so fast data flow from cart and freeze
frown.gif

QUOTE(kineticUK @ May 18 2011, 06:13 PM)
Previously used Kingston Class 2 (Japanese) and currently using Kingston Class 4.
I have been using wood for some time and have not loaded animal crossing for a long time, so the version I used previously could have been as far back as 1.18 etc
Maybe this is the result of using larger capacity mSD, I wonder is there anything that can be done to improve wood performance with this game when using newer high capacity mSDs?
There is no direct correlation between card speed and card size. I own very fast 16gb 2 class card (but write speed is very low) and very slow 4gb 4 class cart. So mostly lottery here. Of course most class 6 cards is fine.
Also cluster size has correlation with read performance. Formating msd with 64k cluster is a good idea.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Game name: Lack Of Disco
Release number: N/A
CRC: 8C830AE5
What the bug is: Does not start when homebrew soft-reset is enabled, whitescreening instead.
What you did to debug it: Tried Wood 1.29 and 1.30, and different MicroSD cards.
How you can repeat the bug: Simply try to run it with the global homebrew soft-reset option on.

Game name: bitbox
CRC: 44BC5381
What the bug is: Does not start, it's not even recognized as a homebrew. It should be noted that the "safe" version works.
What you did to debug it: Tried Wood 1.29 and 1.30, and different MicroSD cards.
How you can repeat the bug: N/A

Game name: bitbox_safe
CRC: 31B36900
What the bug is: Soft-reset does not work.
What you did to debug it: Tried Wood 1.29 and 1.30, with different MicroSD cards.
How you can repeat the bug:

Game name: sd-4k
CRC: A8DF8771
What the bug is: Does not start, it's not even recognized as a homebrew.
What you did to debug it: Tried Wood 1.29 and 1.30, different MicroSD cards.
How you can repeat the bug: N/A

The only retail game I tried that didn't work was the sports one, and AW told me you're already aware of that.

ywg

Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
Game name: Lack Of Disco
What the bug is: Does not start when homebrew soft-reset is enabled, whitescreening instead.Fixed.
QUOTE said:
Game name: bitbox
What the bug is: Does not start, it's not even recognized as a homebrew.Yes, because header checksum is wrong.
QUOTE said:
Game name: bitbox_safe
What the bug is: Soft-reset does not work.Non-standard runtime used — not a bug but feature
smile.gif

QUOTEGame name: sd-4k
What the bug is: Does not start, it's not even recognized as a homebrew.
Header checksum is wrong again. But in this case it can be fixed. Game starts but two white screens. Game don't setup memory protection regions.
The only retail game I tried that didn't work was the sports one, and AW told me you're already aware of that.
I'm not aware. There are two sports collection games:
5594 - Sports Collection (Europe) (En,Fr,De,It) — fixed in 1.27
5686 - Sports Collection (USA) (En,Fr) — fixed in 1.30
I just check them both, there's sound, save file is made, and events can start.

puregold

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's World Championship 2011 Over The Nexus
Always freeze at the duel
Rom number 5696 Europe
I've only tried the free duel and double checked it while using Wood R4 v1.30

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
ywg said:
Yes, because header checksum is wrong.Would would be a way to fix this? NDSHeader gives me a "Stream Read Error" when I try to use it.

QUOTE(ywg @ May 21 2011, 08:38 PM) Header checksum is wrong again. But in this case it can be fixed. Game starts but two white screens. Game don't setup memory protection regions.
Okay, I expected that at least one of the demos I had tried wouldn't actually work on hardware... too bad it's the one that looked the coolest.

ywg

Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
Would would be a way to fix this?Most part of header used for code. Including checksum field.
QUOTE(Rydian @ May 24 2011, 10:58 AM) Okay, I expected that at least one of the demos I had tried wouldn't actually work on hardware... too bad it's the one that looked the coolest.
It can be run in case the memory setup will done by loader.

Paragodeia

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Game name: Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
Release number: 3517 (E)
What the bug is: Well... When I initiate the game, it just don't open, the upper screen turn black and the lower white.

DSi-temp

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Game name: Pokemon Ranger: Guardian signs! (E)
Release number: 5306
What the bug is: Go to the sky fortress in the room in front of the staircases and walk through the door, you got a black screen and the music plays further.
Video:

[youtube]gM-8lBPTTZY[/youtube]

Edited:
Save file: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DXIY5WAS

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
DSi-temp said:
What the bug is: Go to the sky fortress in the room in front of the staircases and walk through the door, you got a black screen and the music plays further.
Video:

[youtube]gM-8lBPTTZY[/youtube]
You should post your save file. That would make it easier for the ywg to find your bug.

ywg

Trophies
XP
Country
DSi-temp said:
Works for me. Check your rom, microsd, something else…

Needlebot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Game name: Wood R4
Release number:v1.31
CRC:No idea, there's a bunch of files
Clean ROM: non-ROM
What the bug is: Top screen is completely white, bottom has the micro sd, slot-2 and favourite icons, and nothing else.No text.
What you did to debug it: Backed up everything except Wood R4 then formatted it. Reinstalled it and still the same.
How you can repeat the bug:Just boot Wood R4.
Etc:I installed Wood R4 as a secondary boot device.
Etc2:I DID change langDirectory to English and no success.

It can boot games just fine, but I cant access the settings screen, it's like it is invisible. Not really cart-stopping, just very annoying. Help?

Edit: Solved problem. Thanks z.g!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That sick boy yo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was hoping I could add a custom ROM to this fire HD 10 tablet but guess no one's made twrp available
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Root it? Lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    That shit is so locked down, tighter than a nun's ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know if that's even possible for the firmware
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can remove the bloat ware and ads easily but can't install a rom
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    20 some years later crash bandicoot still pisses me off
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig...