With hacking, music can take control of your car

NoOneDies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not necessarily has to be burnt and played on a CD, perhaps hackers could find a way to make it work on a USB drive or from your iPod...

You never know
ninja.gif

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
NoOneDies said:
Not necessarily has to be burnt and played on a CD, perhaps hackers could find a way to make it work on a USB drive or from your iPod...

You never know
ninja.gif

depends on how it's connected. usually for ipod, the car stereo controls the ipod and the file processing happens in the ipod itself and not in the car. file is not transfered or decoded by the stereo.

this is for sure on my car because playing mp3s from the cd have more equalizing options than playing from ipod.

if you play it off of a cd drive, usb hard drive or sd card, then the stereo reads the file.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Researchers know a lot about illegal activities and how to commit them. The worst thing they could do is make it known to the public.

I can understand telling the manufacturers and making it known to the authorities and insurance agencies, but anyone else knowing is a security risk.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In principle perhaps _Chaz_ but fixing things takes time and effort and companies have been known to sit on things for many years (companies as lazy as the these have just been demonstrated to be on matters of security even more so). A nice case study might be that of locksmiths if not only because they were secretive for a long time (see the likes of lock bumping) but that they are in a very similar line of work and have been around for several hundred years at least and MS have a long history of such things as well.

Certainly timing (expecting a fix in a day), level of released information (general idea through production grade exploit) and other such concerns when it comes to releasing results of research it is a matter of huge (and ongoing) debate among security researchers.

Also consider there are some extremely talented people doing the car theft bit (by no means all of them but some of them have insane skills) and they can and do quite happily generate their own exploits.

At this point I am not debating the finer points but a blanket statement such as yours might not be the best thing.

Far from anything I would consider definitive but http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.com/2...sure-focus.html has a few good points to use as a jumping off point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la