Windows 7 will receive paid monthly updates after support ends

upload_2018-9-9_9-24-57.png

In a recent blog post titled “Helping customers shift to a modern desktop”, Microsoft has confirmed that from 14 January 2020, when the extended support for Windows 7 ends, they will only keep pushing security updates to Windows 7 users who have signed up to a monthly paid subscription. Microsoft also says that the subscription fee will increase every year.

Jared Spataro (Corporate Vice President for Office and Windows Marketing) said:
Today we are announcing that we will offer paid Windows 7 Extended Security Updates (ESU) through January 2023. The Windows 7 ESU will be sold on a per-device basis and the price will increase each year.

The pricing has not yet been revealed and Microsoft is only making this offer to Windows 7 Professional users. Seems like if you want to keep your devices safe, you will soon have to upgrade to Windows 8 or 10.

:arrow: Helping customers shift to a modern desktop
:arrow: Source

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
People just have to agree to disagree because for every one person that says "windows 10 works fine for me!" there are 2 other people that say that "it sucks". Fact is that people still have old machines/setups that they do want to throwaway and forget about. And then the other people will say oh you are not secure! you could get hacked in 60 seconds while they give all thier info willingly to facebook over a secure channel. security is an illusion.

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
There are days I really wish downvoting was a thing on here. I'm gonna lay it out nice and clean for you...

Consumer Choice = Good
Forcing Consumers to Use Services = Bad

I'm also personally sick of seeing, and having to uninstall, God-damned Candy Crush and MS' shitty Minecraft port every time I install Win10 for myself or someone else. Not to mention getting Cortana to fuck off... If you really think this shit isn't bloatware, you need a lobotomy.

But you have a choice, don't use Windows.
Siri= Woow so nice
Cortana= damm ms forcing bloatware!!!

If you think that Windows is the only option, then you need a lobotony...
Don't like it. Don't use... Just don't cry.

In 5 years the same people who is crying about Win 10 being bloatware, will cry that Win 10 is no more....

Reactions: TotalInsanity4
D

Deleted User

Siri= Woow so nice

In 5 years the same people who is crying about Win 10 being bloatware, will cry that Win 10 is no more....
Most people use Windows due to the overwhelming dominance that windows has on the market, with software such as games and video editors being available only on windows. So the argument of "you don't have to use windows" is kind of invalid.

Plus Not being able to turn off Cortana creates a sense of a walled garden where Microsoft are forcing you to start utilizing their services like Cortana, which even if you don't use it for personal queries will still track what you are searching, and to then only be able to have cortana blocked from telemetry by using a 3rd party app is pretty disgusting on microsoft's part.

Reactions: Arecaidian Fox

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Most people use Windows due to the overwhelming dominance that windows has on the market, with software such as games and video editors being available only on windows. So the argument of "you don't have to use windows" is kind of invalid.

Plus Not being able to turn off Cortana creates a sense of a walled garden where Microsoft are forcing you to start utilizing their services like Cortana, which even if you don't use it for personal queries will still track what you are searching, and to then only be able to have cortana blocked from telemetry by using a 3rd party app is pretty disgusting on microsoft's part.

You can turn off Cortana, you can't uninstall it.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Siri= Woow so nice

I don't use ANY modern voice-controlled assistant, on ANY of my devices. And I sure as hell don't use Apple's iCrap, so pulling Siri out as an excuse against me is worse than pointless. To be fair, I really liked W10 when it came out, but with every subsequent major update, they stuff more and more unwanted junk into it, it gets more and more performance-hungry and shit breaks (like DirectX 9 implementation, kinda important, and it remained broken for MONTHS). Finally, the idea that people have a choice in an OS, when MS controls such a huge share of the market (especially in terms of legacy software and technology), is laughably wrong. Maybe one day soon that won't be true anymore, but for now it's the reality of the situation. So, in the meantime, I'm going to complain and find ways to a better Win10, if I use it at all. Oh, and you can use tools to modify a Windows 10 ISO, including removing Cortana. So, you're wrong there.

Last edited by Arecaidian Fox,

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
performance-hungry and shit breaks (like DirectX 9 implementation, kinda important, and it remained broken for MONTHS). Finally, the idea that people have a choice in an OS, when MS controls such a huge share of the market (especially in terms of legacy software and technology), is laughably wrong.
iOh, and you can use tools to modify a Windows 10 ISO, including removing Cortana. So, you're wrong there.
Performance hungry?? Not really, it even run better than Win 7

Use linux and wine, don't suffer with the eviiilll Microsoft and their bloatware

Not official ones and the LTSB are nor mean for home users. But hey, if you want to make it an "uhmm actuaaaly" then keep going find any detail to say i'm wrong.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Performance hungry?? Not really, it even run better than Win 7

Use linux and wine, don't suffer with the eviiilll Microsoft and their bloatware

Not official ones and the LTSB are nor mean for home users. But hey, if you want to make it an "uhmm actuaaaly" then keep going find any detail to say i'm wrong.
Uh-huh, sure.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really, use any linux distro with wine and be happy why you suffer so much with Microsoft?
Because WINE, even the branch Valve is developing, doesn't support what I want. Not yet, anyway. Like I implied, if the day comes when there's almost perfect compatibility, I'll ditch Windows entirely. But for now, this conversation has devolved past the threshold of pointlessness. I'd say it's been fun...but it hasn't.

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Because WINE, even the branch Valve is developing, doesn't support what I want. Not yet, anyway. Like I implied, if the day comes when there's almost perfect compatibility, I'll ditch Windows entirely. But for now, this conversation has devolved past the threshold of pointlessness. I'd say it's been fun...but it hasn't.
Uh-huh, sure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ