Windows 7 will receive paid monthly updates after support ends

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by smileyhead, Sep 9, 2018.

Front-page
    upload_2018-9-9_9-24-57.

In a recent blog post titled “Helping customers shift to a modern desktop”, Microsoft has confirmed that from 14 January 2020, when the extended support for Windows 7 ends, they will only keep pushing security updates to Windows 7 users who have signed up to a monthly paid subscription. Microsoft also says that the subscription fee will increase every year.

The pricing has not yet been revealed and Microsoft is only making this offer to Windows 7 Professional users. Seems like if you want to keep your devices safe, you will soon have to upgrade to Windows 8 or 10.

:arrow: Helping customers shift to a modern desktop
    :arrow: Source

Discussion (229 replies)
  1. Skittyusedcovet

Skittyusedcovet Gbatemp’s Favourite Skitty

Jul 16, 2018
    Canada
    Where cats are plentiful.
    Is it bad I want to continue to use a dinosaur? Screw Microsoft Im going to keep doing things my way and continue to use my dinosaur as I please. They dont get my money either.

Pandaxclone2 and tbb043 like this.
  2. ry755

ry755 Fox

Nov 29, 2017
    United States
    California
    Goddamnit Micro$oft

3. SnAQ

SnAQ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 20, 2010
    Seems reasonable, atleast they offer the people living in the past the possibility of continuing to do so.

I will never understand why people doesn't want a better OS.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S9 via Tapatalk

4. VinsCool

VinsCool Crappy Chiptunist

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    On the bright side you will no longer constantly get update nags if you don't pay, I guess.

5. ry755

ry755 Fox

Nov 29, 2017
    United States
    California
    Windows 10 and "better OS" don't go together

6. Godofcheese

Godofcheese Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2016
    Sweden
    Shivering Isles
    I haven't had any problems, yet, with W10.
    And I've used it since beta :>

Much smoother ride than what I had with W7.

Ricken, Yepi69, warmo161 and 9 others like this.
  7. ry755

ry755 Fox

Nov 29, 2017
    United States
    California
    The only problem I've had is that it's slow af.
    Windows 8 is faster on my dual core Pentium laptop than 10 is on my i5 5200U laptop.

jakibaki and TheMCNerd2017 like this.
  8. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Switch to windows 10....

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Do you have like 2gb of ram? Anyway get a SSD. After you've used one, it's necessary.

grey72, Yepi69, Xenon Hacks and 3 others like this.
  9. AmandaRose

AmandaRose The Fallen Angel

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    Windows 10 better?? Are you deluded in what possible way is windows 10 better lol

ry755, PICTOCHAT, Pluupy and 7 others like this.
  10. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    I bet you will, and it'll be giant and say "NO LONGER SUPPORTED YOUR SYSTEM IS VULNERABLE" anyway for ppl who have never tried to run a copy if windows 98 recently, after the security updates run out, pretty much you go to one grey website and that's it you got at least 1 virus from a pop-up or somthing.

Last edited by Ericthegreat, Sep 9, 2018
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  11. ry755

ry755 Fox

Nov 29, 2017
    United States
    California
    No, both laptops have 4 gb

12. LaPingas

LaPingas let's go mangoooooo

Nov 2, 2016
    Israel
    Armada's Mustache
    If people want to continue using Windows 7 I can understand that, but I don't see much reasons to do so. I've used Windows 7 for like 5 years in my old computer (not that old - 4gb of ram and a 3rd gen i5) and basic operation was a mess. It wasn't much-bloated at all. 4 months into using Windows 10 on both my new desktop and my old laptop (Pavilion dv4) and really it performs much better (I tried both OSes on my Pavilion with clean installs..) so other than GUI changes that can be somewhat fixed with some modifications, I don't really see any reason for normal users to use 7

Dick move by MS anyways though

Last edited by LaPingas, Sep 9, 2018
  13. Song of storms

Song of storms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 18, 2018
    Antarctica
    I don't know what's more "lol" between this "news" about something that Microsoft has been doing for literally every single OS they released, or people being butthurt at Microsoft.

These paid updates are made specifically for businesses that require older OSs to work with their proprietary software. Only a very tiny fraction of the users pay for this, so in what world would Microsoft spend thousands of dollars a month in research and updates just to please a very small amount of users that have the money anyway?

What do you think that your bank's ATM use as operative system? Windows 10? Ubuntu? Please XD

14. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Yup, this is meant for businesses, not the average user. Note how only the pro version is even supported at all. They did the same to XP, it's just because they don't want to keep updating multiple versions indefinitely.

15. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    unfortunately, my old pc didn't survive. it was on windows 7. now, all I have is my parents' pc. :(

16. Enkuler

Enkuler Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 25, 2017
    France
    It has built-in virtual desktops* and task view for an easy way to switch windows. The explorer should get tabs in October**. And it doesn't have a fugly skeuomorphism-based style.

*without using alternatives such as BetterDesktopTool which kinda work but not as well as a built-in feature, plus they are not free for commercial use.
    **same, without using alternatives such as Explorer++ which do have a lot of features I like, but for some reason it lags on all the machines I tested it on. QTTabBar does the job well however, but you know, the fact that there are so many alternative ways to fulfill such a basic need proves how Windows 7 is retarded, unlike Windows 10.

Now, in what possible way is Windows 7 better than 10? It runs on prehistoric PCs? It doesn't mean it's better, it only means your PC sucks, which indeed prevents you from switching to the better OS which isn't the problem.

17. RattletraPM

RattletraPM GBATemp's unofficial 蒸気イーブイ

Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Spagonia
    I was about to say that. From what I know ATMs tend to use way older OSes (generally OS/2 and derivates, sometimes Windows XP and rarely DOS) but still this is clearly targeted to businesses rather than individuals.

They tend to upgrade their computer way less frequently due to licensing costs/software incompatibilities/logistical and organizational reasons. If they don't upgrade and decide to pay then MS gets more money, if they upgrade they'll proably do it in bulk, which means many less PCs using old Windows OS, and that in turn means Microsoft will soon have one less OS to support. It's a win-win scenario for them.

18. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I bought a ssd a month or two ago. it took like five minutes or less to reinstall windows. and, it takes mere seconds to restart. on an old pc, it might not be worth it though.

I think my computer is bottle necked by my gpu, which I plan to upgrade, though.

19. Ominous66521

Ominous66521 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    For me w10 is fast,and I have been a pc gamer for just about a year now.The only issue with it are the forced updates,that's it.If you are prepared to download the update,and then delete it off your harddrive,then it's not so bad when you have 8-16gb ram with a ssd,and the pc boots super fast anyway.

Last edited by Ominous66521, Sep 9, 2018
    ShonenJump likes this.