Will emulation soon contribute more than hacking to piracy?

Deleted member 568892

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most people will only pirate if it's convenient and Nintendo has done a good job of making Switch hacking inconvenient. On the other hand PC hardware and emulation software is constantly getting better.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Those who don't mod their consoles will always find it difficult and inconvenient, but too those who have the ability it'll always be worth it if no other reason than just cause.

Those not in the know will always go the easiest, simplest route and if that's literally just running an exe file on a laptop, so be it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How many games/games people want to play use the joycons for something more than a glorified controller?

I am curious because the DS saw something of a drop off and middling presence to this day because mouse is not a great alternative to touch screen.

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Pretty sure emulation already generally contributes more to piracy. Especially if you consider playing older titles of consoles that are no longer in production through emulation as piracy, & nintendo certainly would.
Factor this in with the fact that microsoft allow you to run things like retroarch on the xbox consoles without even hacking, & id say its pretty clear cut.
Even if you consider its just switch titles your talking about.
Around 20,000,000 units approx are exploitable, and id say that less than 5% of that know how to or are happy with risks involved, then consider how many people own a pc capable of running yuzu that know how. The odds are overwhelmingly in favor of pc users, who dont remotely care about worries of getting banned.

Last edited by Basketto,

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm gonna be completely honest here, my piracy usage goes back nearly 50 years now in various formats and forms and I was always dead set in my own mind that was the best way to obtain media (games, video, etc...).

I'd argue my point to the death and really kinda disliked emulators and to a certain degree I still do dislike many emulators. Whilst I appreciate how good Retroarch is (for example) I really don't like it's interface and find it non newb friendly.

All these things said I've come around to a different way of thinking these days and would consider keeping new consoles legit -IF- emulators were a totally open thing (think Xbox Series S and X). It's never gonna happen on Nintendo stuff but Sony I'd say there's a good chance in the future.

The future is going to be very interesting with regards to emulators and I can see myself almost fully turning that way if the emulation is on point for multiple formats.... I don't play very often these days but a user friendly pick up and play option (legit) would be a game changer.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most people will only pirate if it's convenient and Nintendo has done a good job of making Switch hacking inconvenient. On the other hand PC hardware and emulation software is constantly getting better.
When emulators pour billions of dollars into marketing and advertisements, maybe they'll make a dent.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: and my right eye is bloodshot from lack of sleep but damn. the full moon with the clouds is...