Homebrew WiiSXR: Fork of wiisx, a gamecube/wii/vWii psx emulator

HeavyMetalLoser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have the audio issues in the original Spyro been fixed yet? I remember there being a problem where the music failed to loop and if you paused and unpaused the music would stop altogether.

Last edited by HeavyMetalLoser,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have the audio issues in the original Spyro been fixed yet? I remember there being a problem where the music failed to loop and if you paused and unpaused the music would stop altogether.

That's due to XA/CD-XA, it's not emulated properly in WiiSX originally to save on resources. Maybe once XA audio is implemented, it'll work.

Loki_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi. I don't understand well how saves works on this emu. I use it on Wii U. just to know, is possible to save the game in any time or i can only use the save points that games have from default? (i'm interesting on this for FF VII mainly)

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I wanted to edit the Wiisxr compatibility list to note that Vandal Hearts actually does NOT work unlike what it's already written in the list.

"I played the intro" (FMV) was not enough testing, because funny enough, after you start the first battle, right after the first FMV, once you finish your first turn, the game won't resume. The first enemy to take an action will be "thinking" what to do eternally, with the camera spinning around it forever. So it is actually unplayable after a few minutes. This happened with the normal Wiisx too.

Anyway, I wanted to ask, what is the best way to edit the list? I rather ask before trying it, so I don't mess it up just in case.

Last edited by Maeson,
D

Deleted User

I wanted to edit the Wiisxr compatibility list to note that Vandal Hearts actually does NOT work unlike what it's already written in the list.

"I played the intro" (FMV) was not enough testing, because funny enough, after you start the first battle, right after the first FMV, once you finish your first turn, the game won't resume. The first enemy to take an action will be "thinking" what to do eternally, with the camera spinning around it forever. So it is actually unplayable after a few minutes. This happened with the normal Wiisx too.

Anyway, I wanted to ask, what is the best way to edit the list? I rather ask before trying it, so I don't mess it up just in case.
Thanks for your reply! I changed the Vandal Hearts wiki entry.
You need an seperate wiki account if want to change a page from the wiki. Send a request to an Admin and you should get your Password.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Maeson

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the wiki is preventing users to create new account (due to spam bot doing that), but you can ask for account creation to tj_cool.
I didn't check and don't know how to do it myself, so just ask him.

Loki_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi. I don't understand well how saves works on this emu. I use it on Wii U. just to know, is possible to save the game in any time or i can only use the save points that games have from default? (i'm interesting on this for FF VII mainly)

anyone for this please?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It has been years since I use WiiSX. I will only talk from memory, maybe I'm wrong, you should take this info as possibly wrong!

I think it emulate the official memory card, so there's no savestate, it only save your default game's saving data.
I don't remember if the memory card is written in real time, but you probably have to manually save/load, unless there's an option to do this automatically (don't trust it, it's often preferable to manually press a button, the same for controller config which could seem not working while it's just "not easy to understand" but working fine)

Which means, when you exit a game, you need to press SAVE on the emulator's menu, or else the game's progress is not written to the memory card, which is not written to SD/USB.
You probably need to manually load the card too before launching a game (well, after loading it, before launching it).

If I remember correctly, the memory card file is using the game's TitleID of the loaded game.

Launch the emulator
load your game (it reads the TitleID)
select Memory card loading button to load the memory card file with the same TitleID name.
Launch the game
Play, save, play etc.
Stop playing, go back to emulator's GUI
Select Memory card Save to write the file to your SD or USB, if you don't do that your progress will not be stored.

Attention, some games have TitleID issues (like Rhapsody).
The emulator is not reading the titleID correctly, but just reading the filename on root, but some games don't store their .cnf file on root so the emulator doesn't read the ID.
If you didn't play a game, the ID is empty.
if you played a previous game, the ID is identical to previous game.

If you want to restore your backup next time, you need to launch the same "previous game" than the previous time you played that game :

launch emulator -> rhapsody -> load save : empty memory card filename (save is working fine, just card's filename is empty)
launch emulator -> specific game -> load save : load that game's memory card filename -> load rhapsody -> the previous game's ID if used for rhapsody memory card. if you play a different "previous game" of course you won't get your savedata for rhapsody.

Last edited by Cyan,

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Thank you very much, Dodain47!

I can point to the performance for another game, Digimon World 1 (NTSC-US). I played it a lot, and in fact I was able to recruit every single creature to the city using WiiSXR. The frame-rate holds quite well to the original game, and I found it to be pretty playable all around, to the point of playing it almost twice.

But is not perfect: I had a couple of random crashes (when entering one of the fishing areas near the mine, or when talking to a tree monster in the foggy forest area). Fortunately, it's not an "always crashes here" type of deal, pretty much every other time I went there or talked to that character it went fine. I would say that I got three crashes overall throughout my playthrough of 30/40 hours, so it's not that bad (although I recommend doing a save state each x amount of time just in cause when near those places). That said I don't know for certain if this is an emulator problem, or the game itself (as it can be reaaaally glitchy, there's even guides with all of them!).

Besides that, sometimes my Classic Controller would "freeze" for a few seconds. That didn't happen in the original game as far as I know, and it has happened only in this game using WiiSXR. I tried other games like Breath of Fire III, Grandia or Symphony of the Night, and it's the only one to show this issue.

I found the behaviour of this issue quite interesting. If you're pushing a button or moving in one direction when this freeze happens, it would get stuck for the duration of that freeze, and it always had the same duration of a few seconds, like clockwork. Because of the type of game it is, I found myself enduring it as otherwise the game functioned normally.

I'd say that if the control issue is something that could be fixed (I have no idea of how hard could it be), it would be perfectly playable.

----

About saving, I only can add that, at least using WiiSXR, automatic saving has been working fine for me on the few games I tried. What I REALLY recommend is that you go to the emulator menu from time to time so your save file can be updated. Whenever you go back from the game to the menu, and it detects the ingame save has been changed, the emulator will flash a quick "Save File Updated" type of message.

If you save ingame and you push the turn off button of your Wii while still in the game, your Save File won't really be updated to contain the last changes (meaning your last ingame save). This happened to me the first time playing Digimon World and I felt incredibly stupid.

Also, if you use savestates, and then try to do an ingame save, and go to the emulator menu, you'll probably see an "saving error" windows popping up. I was worried at first, but at least on DW1 it saved correctly, and I read somewhere that the error message is just a bug.

Reactions: Cyan
D

Deleted User

Thank you very much, Dodain47!

I can point to the performance for another game, Digimon World 1 (NTSC-US). I played it a lot, and in fact I was able to recruit every single creature to the city using WiiSXR. The frame-rate holds quite well to the original game, and I found it to be pretty playable all around, to the point of playing it almost twice.

But is not perfect: I had a couple of random crashes (when entering one of the fishing areas near the mine, or when talking to a tree monster in the foggy forest area). Fortunately, it's not an "always crashes here" type of deal, pretty much every other time I went there or talked to that character it went fine. I would say that I got three crashes overall throughout my playthrough of 30/40 hours, so it's not that bad (although I recommend doing a save state each x amount of time just in cause when near those places). That said I don't know for certain if this is an emulator problem, or the game itself (as it can be reaaaally glitchy, there's even guides with all of them!).

Besides that, sometimes my Classic Controller would "freeze" for a few seconds. That didn't happen in the original game as far as I know, and it has happened only in this game using WiiSXR. I tried other games like Breath of Fire III, Grandia or Symphony of the Night, and it's the only one to show this issue.

I found the behaviour of this issue quite interesting. If you're pushing a button or moving in one direction when this freeze happens, it would get stuck for the duration of that freeze, and it always had the same duration of a few seconds, like clockwork. Because of the type of game it is, I found myself enduring it as otherwise the game functioned normally.

I'd say that if the control issue is something that could be fixed (I have no idea of how hard could it be), it would be perfectly playable.

----

About saving, I only can add that, at least using WiiSXR, automatic saving has been working fine for me on the few games I tried. What I REALLY recommend is that you go to the emulator menu from time to time so your save file can be updated. Whenever you go back from the game to the menu, and it detects the ingame save has been changed, the emulator will flash a quick "Save File Updated" type of message.

If you save ingame and you push the turn off button of your Wii while still in the game, your Save File won't really be updated to contain the last changes (meaning your last ingame save). This happened to me the first time playing Digimon World and I felt incredibly stupid.

Also, if you use savestates, and then try to do an ingame save, and go to the emulator menu, you'll probably see an "saving error" windows popping up. I was worried at first, but at least on DW1 it saved correctly, and I read somewhere that the error message is just a bug.
Thanks again! I left a remark regarding the crashes.

Reactions: Maeson

arturogalaxy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Guys, I tested many games with the last wiisxr, maybe its helpful: Sled Storm, and circuit breakers both ntsc, dont appear in the list but they are great games and they work perfectly (no music). Medievil 1, at least in (E) version, appears to run properly but you get black screen when you reach and launch the third stage. No matter what you do and which settings you set, the game freezes.

Last edited by arturogalaxy,
Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

Guys, I tested many games with the last wiisxr, maybe its helpful: Sled Storm, and circuit breakers both ntsc, dont appear in the list but they are great games and they work perfectly (no music). Medievil 1, at least in (E) version, appears to run properly but you get black screen when you reach and launch the third stage. No matter what you do and which settings you set, the game freezes.
I will add these games to the wiki tomorrow or the day after.
emu kidid, one of the developer of WiiSX commented his current improvements to WiiSX (not WiiSXR) over at the GC-Forever Forum.
He said his Contributions are not to solid for users to use yet. (hardware accelerated gfx plugin, bug fixes to the dynarec etc).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: see ya