Hacking WiinUPro - Pro Controller to PC Gamepad

KeyPuncher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a couple of suggestions to ask which have to do with the startup of the program....

I am planning on allowing users to setup a default profile in the release, I figured I would have all the main functionality before creating any config files. So it probably won't be in the final beta, but you should see it in the released. The main point of the first window is to choose what controllers to connect and what joysticks to associate them with. This was so if people had some wiimote connected already but didn't want to use them with WiinUPro they could. I could probably turn this into an initial startup window and once you've ran the program it will remember what devices had been connected and their previous joysticks to save some time on the user's end.

I don't like video guides. Has someone written somewhere a text guide for this?

I will be creating written tutorials later on, but I currently don't have any written up.

Awesome program! My new WUPC hasn't arrived yet, but I'm definitely going to be using this when it does!

I do have a couple of questions though:
1. Is the 8-directional D-pad set up automatically, or should I enable it myself, and if so, how?

2. I've been using Dolphin for a while now, with my two Wiimotes+. I had absolutely no problems whatsoever connecting them, and in fact I even did the first pairing through Windows (independently of Dolphin). Since the Toshiba stack is normally needed for both WUPCs and WM+s, how come it worked for me without it, and does this mean that I will possibly be able to use the WUPC without the toshiba as well?

And if I do have to install the toshiba stack, has anyone found a way to do so using built-in bluetooth? I have seen many, many posts here with people saying that they're stuck on the step where you have to plug in your adapter. Has a workaround been found?

EDIT: BTW, in a future version you should probably handle the exception that gets thrown when the number of controllers is 0 (out of range). I just tried it out with no controllers connected, and it crashed with a dozen popups informing me of an error, pointing to an index that was at zero. =P
Thanks!
1) 8-directions are automatic when using the Continuous POV-Hat type.

2) There are some WiimotePluses that work on other BT stacks, it depends on their model. I haven't had any luck with using the default stack in Windows; every time I try to read a data stream from it the controller is disconnected.
There are indeed some exceptions I need to handle, but i hadn't realized that one, thanks I'll add it to the list.

KeyPuncher, when I load the configuration file I set following your tutorial for beta 6, the POV Hat continually resets to POV 0 each time the program is restarted and the file is reaccessed. Have I made a mistake in the setup?
I noticed that issue too after I had uploaded it, it's not any mistake on your end, it's something I overlooked and I will correct the issue.
our wii u pro controller is like first or second case?
Not sure, perhaps the first. If I'm not mistaken FIFA 13 supports the 360 controller so you should be able to rename it to "XBOX 360 for Windows (Controller)" as mentioned in my above video.

zKetta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, thanks!

For those of you who might have had issues with Dark Souls and Saints Row 3 in the past: Both of these games seem to have Direct Input functionality that makes it hard for x360ce to work properly with our setup. I have created two profiles that seem to map the controls for the game 1:1 to the 360 controller counterpart. Matching these profiles should allow you to play these games without the need of x360ce or any of its components. You can see them both in the included images:

Note: I prefer to use the face buttons on the Wii U Pro Controller as 1:1 copies of the expected Xbox Buttons. I put A as Xbox A, B as Xbox B, etc. If you would prefer to organize the face buttons to match the layout of an Xbox Controller, where A is on the bottom, B is on the right, etc. then just alternate the vJoy button positioning in these layouts.

Note: This setup was made by following the configuration instructions in KeyPuncher's latest tutorial video. Be sure to watch those first few minutes for ensuring vJoy is set up properly.

Final Note: The Cycle Shift located on the Home button assignment isn't necessary. I just keep a page on each profile for mouse control and regular keyboard commands so that I may switch games and profiles easily while sitting AFK and viewing the games on a TV.

Saints Row:
dfLPL85.png

Dark Souls:
fED2m24.png

KeyPuncher, I just thought of one more feature that would be really cool to have, though I have no idea how hard it would be for you to implement. Just a useful idea though so it doesn't really matter.

Do you think you could implement a way for the shift assignment buttons to also cycle through a corresponding LED number on the controller? I have a profile for Battlefield 3 where I have, for example, Shift: None for general walking around and combat, Shift: Red for plane combat, Shift: Green for general land vehicles and Tanks, and Shift: Blue for web navigation/Origin and Steam interfaces.

Having all of those setup is an excellent feature and definitely one of the most powerful parts of your program. However, it can be easy during extended periods to lose track of how many times I have to press the Cycle key to get back to a mode that I need. In some cases, such as falling from a Jet that I jumped out of, taking time to find the right mode can be the difference between life and death. It would be really cool if the LED down there could remind me of which of the 4 settings I am on.

Reactions: KeyPuncher

KeyPuncher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KeyPuncher, I just thought of one more feature that would be really cool to have, though I have no idea how hard it would be for you to implement. Just a useful idea though so it doesn't really matter.

Do you think you could implement a way for the shift assignment buttons to also cycle through a corresponding LED number on the controller? I have a profile for Battlefield 3 where I have, for example, Shift: None for general walking around and combat, Shift: Red for plane combat, Shift: Green for general land vehicles and Tanks, and Shift: Blue for web navigation/Origin and Steam interfaces.

Having all of those setup is an excellent feature and definitely one of the most powerful parts of your program. However, it can be easy during extended periods to lose track of how many times I have to press the Cycle key to get back to a mode that I need. In some cases, such as falling from a Jet that I jumped out of, taking time to find the right mode can be the difference between life and death. It would be really cool if the LED down there could remind me of which of the 4 settings I am on.

Sure thing! It was my original intent for the shift state to be displayed on the LEDs, the reason why it wasn't inserted was for people with multiple controllers, during the setup I wanted them to be able to tell which one is which, but now that I think about it people should be able to tell which controller they are configuring for simply by a press of a button. You will see the shift cycle display in both the final beta and release.

Reactions: zKetta

tehspeleengpolise

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
2) There are some WiimotePluses that work on other BT stacks, it depends on their model. I haven't had any luck with using the default stack in Windows; every time I try to read a data stream from it the controller is disconnected.

OK, thanks. I guess I'll have to install the toshiba stack after all. So has anyone found a way to get it to work easily using built-in bluetooth?

And also, I heard you need to uninstall and reinstall it every month if your device isn't supported. This sound pretty annoying. Is there an easier workaround, perhaps hacking into it and disabling the trial period or something?

And thanks for your help. :)

pwncloud

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, but I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. I don't know why it calls that configuration "No joy", but I can fully use both joysticks on the device.

In vjoy, I just followed the instruction to the letter (according to the video).

After you've set up vJoy, saving a profile for Joystick 1, Joystick 1 should be available in the drop down menu in WiinUPro where you are seeing No Joy. It is not working because "No Joy" is configured.

sanastro123

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Everyone,
Beta 6 Is now Available!

You can now use continuous POV Hats to setup an 8-directional D-pad.
Turbo can now be applied to joystick buttons.
You can now use the mouse wheel as an assignment.

Hi!
The new beta is very cool. The mouse wheel assignment is also working, but it's a bit too fast. Choosing items in Minecraft is almost impossible because most of the time I'm skipping 1 or 2 items when I scroll via controller.

It would be great if you made another mouse-wheel assignment that works like a button (categorie: mouse buttons?). So if you press the button on the controller it scrolls 1 unit and then stops, even if you still press the key.

sincerely

Sanastro

tehspeleengpolise

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, i just installed the bluetooth stack, it worked out just fine. Everything now works perfectly, thank you so much for this awesome piece of software!

I want to mention a couple of things though. Firstly, I tried out mapping the L-stick to the mouse, and for some reason to achieve a consistent seed I had to set the Up movement speed to 2, and the other directions to 4 or 5. It's not really much of an issue for me though.

Secondly, I wanted the mouse wheel to map to the right stick Y axis. After fiddling a bit with the speed - and eventually setting both directions to 1 (lowest) - it stopped working at all. Saving, quitting and reloading didn't help. Then I went and mapped it to the D-pad instead (using lowest speed as well), and it worked. I wonder what could have caused this, and whether it was just me or it is an actual bug?

KeyPuncher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to mention a couple of things though. Firstly, I tried out mapping the L-stick to the mouse, and for some reason to achieve a consistent seed I had to set the Up movement speed to 2, and the other directions to 4 or 5. It's not really much of an issue for me though.

Secondly, I wanted the mouse wheel to map to the right stick Y axis. After fiddling a bit with the speed - and eventually setting both directions to 1 (lowest) - it stopped working at all. Saving, quitting and reloading didn't help. Then I went and mapped it to the D-pad instead (using lowest speed as well), and it worked. I wonder what could have caused this, and whether it was just me or it is an actual bug?

The mouse movement seems pretty consistent on my end, it may vary upon screen resolution, I'm not sure since I did not create the actual movement part of the code.
As for the mouse wheel, it appears that I didn't actually finish it, because it is crazy fast on the lowest setting still, so I will take a peep at that.
Thanks.

Reactions: tehspeleengpolise

tehspeleengpolise

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The mouse movement seems pretty consistent on my end, it may vary upon screen resolution, I'm not sure since I did not create the actual movement part of the code.
As for the mouse wheel, it appears that I didn't actually finish it, because it is crazy fast on the lowest setting still, so I will take a peep at that.
Thanks.
OK, great. You also mentioned implementing a "mouse wheel button", which would also be useful. (And yes, it is crazy fast. =P)

And in a future version, a nice touch would be having the pressure on the control stick(s) affect the speed of the mouse and mouse wheel (unless you map these to a button, obviously. =P)

BIFFTAZ

Trophies
XP
Country
Guys get the Mayflash adapter. It works with everything. I can even use the Wii U Pro controller on the PS3 and Xbox 360

WiinUPro works with PC without any need for a Mayflash adapter. PS3 & Xbox 360 is totally irrelevant here... Its all about PC.

KeyPuncher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys get the Mayflash adapter. It works with everything. I can even use the Wii U Pro controller on the PS3 and Xbox 360

The adaptor is pretty neat, quick and easy, though it's not free.

If someone has spent their last nickle on a Pro Controller, they can always use WiinUPro since it will always be free.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.