Wii U TVii - xbmc and/or other local media

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by pro2oman, Nov 8, 2012.

?

xbmc and/or other local media with TVii

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Possibly latter on

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
Nov 8, 2012
  1. pro2oman
    OP

Member pro2oman GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    so do you guys think, will the TVii service have anyway of using local network media?

i would assume that the universal remote function should be programable to xbmc with pc ir input,
    but what are your thoughts on actual built in Moves/TV search

2. 9thSage

Member 9thSage GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hard to say if it will or not, but I would love to be able to get it to connect to my Plex server or something.

3. Annieone23

Member Annieone23 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have a bitching XBMC set up tbh and I have been wondering this exact same thing. I think natively the WiiU will NOT support things like XBMC or local HDD movie rips. I do think there is a very real potential for people to trick the WiiU into syncing with your XBMC or HTPC by spoofing it as a satellite carrier/media streaming service. I think spoofing, if it can be achieved, would be possible before the WiiU even gets cracked, because if done properly the WiiU won't know the difference.

Once the WiiU is hacked though I am positive that XBMC or a custom media streaming alternative will be a huge success. That could literally be any number of days, years, months etc away.

4. Psionic Roshambo

Member Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    One possibility is to run some sort of media server on your PC and direct the Wii-U browser to your PC's IP address. If you don't mind watching your movies in a browser at least.