Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To all the people saying "Learn how to code and make your own exploit etc" , in which world is it easier to do that (which will take you 1-3 years and you'll probably end up at square 0).
For what it's worth I picked up C, C++, ARM PPC x86 and MIPS assembly, and how to effectively use IDA and Hex-Rays in like 2-3 months. For a lot of people, console hacking (or homebrew) is actually the kick in the butt they need to get themselves programming or reverse-engineering.
If you don't have any experience at coding there is an advice I can give you which is don't waste your time trying to "reinvent the wheel" since someone doesn't want to release it. It is a waste of time.
If somebody had just handed me 'completed' 3DS hax a year and a half ago, I never would have learned any of these skills yo. Especially in cases of console hacking, "reinventing the wheel" is actually like the best way to get up to speed and familiar with a system. We actually have our own implementation of the current private PPC kernel vuln because I needed an excuse to get super familiar with Cafe OS userland. All the debug I had to do to get that up and running taught me more than I expected honestly.
Smea mentions how fun reverse-engineering is a lot, and he's not joking! If you're into computer science at all, you can have a blast with it.

steelseth

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
The Wii U was my first time with C, and within a week or two I'd released LiteNESU. I'm no special super-hacker or whatever, I'm just an average guy who did a terrible job writing the aforementioned program, and I'll definitely not find a kexploit for a while yet.

For what it's worth I picked up C, C++, ARM PPC x86 and MIPS assembly, and how to effectively use IDA and Hex-Rays in like 2-3 months. For a lot of people, console hacking (or homebrew) is actually the kick in the butt they need to get themselves programming or reverse-engineering.

Hmmmmm choices choices ....... Continue following my current career path which puts food on the table bought me a house, car, electronics, clothes, shoes, holidays, etc ..... or take a break for a few weeks to a few months to do some console hacking .....

57507528.jpg

Last edited by steelseth,

ryuutseku85

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hmmmmm choices choices ....... Continue following my current career path which puts food on the table bought me a house, car, electronics, clothes, shoes, holidays, etc ..... or take a break for a few weeks to a few months to do some console hacking .....

57507528.jpg

I start learning c during January this year , I am actually at a really base stage . I have a work 45 h per week , 5 day a week , I have a wife so rarely coding and learning on week end , so what I want to say is : when we want we can .

Actually I didn't know anything about gx2 lib but I open Ida , a web page , I take blank page and a pen and let's go , I learning how the things works .

So try it a least you can say that you try , and when you will be in the Dev's side you will understand how hard is to make something and don't have a thanks from people who only want loadiine .

Last edited by ryuutseku85,
Reactions: realize

steelseth

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
I start learning c during January this year , I am actually at a really base stage . I have a work 45 h per week , 5 day a week , I have a wife so rarely coding and learning on week end , so what I want to say is : when we want we can .

Actually I didn't know anything about gx2 lib but I open Ida , a web page , I take blank page and a pen and let's go , I learning how the things works .

So try it a least you can say that you try , and when you will be in the Dev's side you will understand how hard is to make something and don't have a thanks from people who only want loadiine .

I would but I dont want to spend $3000 for IDA and Hex-Rays ......
I could pirate it but that would make me worst than those people that only want loadiine wouldnt it ?
I mean stealing $3000 from a small company is worst than stealing $60 from a multi billion dollar company, atleast thats the way I see it.

Reactions: vasalpa

ryuutseku85

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I could pirate it but that would make me worst than those people that only want loadiine wouldnt it ?
I mean stealing $3000 from a small company is worst than stealing $60 from a multi billion dollar company, atleast thats the way I see it.
I use the free version it's not complete but work fine and I think it's a good start for newbies . I use it only for 2 or 3 week by now

steelseth

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
I use the free version it's not complete but work fine and I think it's a good start for newbies . I use it only for 2 or 3 week by now
The free version might be good to learn the basics but its lacking too many features to actually be useful, according to NW even the 6.1 Pro paid version is lacking essential features.

Reactions: ryuutseku85

ryuutseku85

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The free version might be good to learn the basics but its lacking too many features to actually be useful, according to NW even the 6.1 Pro paid version is lacking essential features.
thanks fo the information

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

like i already said i try to understand how i can get the gx2 lib to work .

is this like to you a good starting point to set the screen to a better resolution for my homebrew?

Code:
unsigned int gx2_handle;

OSDynLoad_Acquire("gx2.rpl", &gx2_handle);

void(*GX2Shutdown)();

OSDynLoad_FindExport(gx2_handle, 0, "GX2Shutdown", &GX2Shutdown);

int(*GX2GetMainCoreId)();

OSDynLoad_FindExport(gx2_handle, 0, "GX2GetMainCoreId", &GX2GetMainCoreId);

void(*GX2Init)(void *args);

OSDynLoad_FindExport(gx2_handle, 0, "GX2Init", &GX2Init);

GX2Init(0);

void (*GX2SetTVScale)(uint32_t xres, uint32_t yres);

OSDynLoad_FindExport(gx2_handle, 0, "GX2SetTVScale", &GX2SetTVScale);

GX2Shutdown();

GX2Init(0);

GX2SetTVScale(1280,720);

Last edited by ryuutseku85,

brienj

Trying to avoid getting cancer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
And this is the kicker, because you can't effectively reverse the Wii U firmware without IDA. I wonder how many people that have successfully reversed it though, that are against piracy, actually have a license for IDA. I personally DO have a legit license of IDA, I've had one for years, but I can afford it However, at the same time, I don't believe that holding anything back because of piracy is ever a good idea, and in the end just hurts a hacking community.

Putting in ways to stop online play or hacking in online play with backups is ok, but outright stopping it all together never makes sense. The only way to be a noble knight for a huge corporation is to tell them of all the exploits in their system, so they can fix them, and prevent other people you have no control over, from discovering the same exploit, which could be used for far worse things.

Wishi

Rareware Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I really don't get it , MN1 is keeping his Exploit private to make sure it is available to more people and don't get patched but it really doesn't matter that much anymore I mean it will get patched eventually whenever MN1 decide to realase it
It could be 5.6 >realase exploit>Exploit gets patched within days with 5.6.1 or realase Exploit > gets patched in 5.6 is that much a difference ? Nintendo can just launch a post patch whenever they feel like .
Anyway anyone who is interested in Hacking their Wii U will get to this forum and will know how to block updates etc at time , there's no way a new "wave" of hypothetical 5.6 Wii U firmware would arrive at this point when NX is around the corner to its formal announcement
And this is slowly dying just compare the messages this forum is getting to those from months ago.
Im patiently waiting , and I thank devs for their efforts , just lets hope that when it gets realased there are still people who is still interested in Wii U Hacking

Onidemon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Exactly. If someone could explain the logic behind keeping the exploit hidden even though it will get patched anyways.

I get that by keeping it hidden for now, there is a chance it will still work on the next FW, but once it is released Nintendo will patch it. Or is MN1 thinking of keeping it hidden forever until Nintendo figures it out on their own and patch it? If that is the case then we may never see the exploit.

Also with the ability to spoof the firmware, does it matter if Nintendo patches it in the next upgrade or not?

vgmoose

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I agree that homebrew is a far, far better entrypoint to Wii U programming stuff than exploit research. The main issue is that people just need to start coding, whether homebrew or not. To me, it seems that nobody's really doing that, instead going for a far more... complainy approach. ;3
Hey, I did it and also complained... that must be worth something!

I stand by that Homebrew Launcher isn't hitting its true potential (like HBC did for Wii) because people who want to get into the scene can't even run it. Ideally we'd have a collection (similar to @pwsincd 's wiiubru.com ) that offers HBL zipped app bundles to download, and then people (on any FW) can load them up and play them. Then we'd be able to form a community around that.

Of course I don't disagree with your post though. If more people were trying to code homebrew apps there'd be more grounds for such a community to grow, rather than just the 5 or 6 guys we have now. And I haven't even released anything in 2 months! I'll also get on a podium to aspiring devs and say: it's always the right time to learn. Even if you have to stay up all night trying to figure out four lines of code aren't behaving the way you'd expect, as long as you keep it up I'm sure you'll get there.

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually you can't even buy IDA unless you purchase it as part of like, an accredited security firm. They literally refuse sales to individuals, even given the money. Most reverse-engineers I know turn a blind eye to IDA piracy because of this. I'm licensed as a CS student thru my university, but it rly doesn't mean anything to me if someone pirates IDA. If you really have moral issues with it, you can be an objdump hero like nocash, too.

Exactly. If someone could explain the logic behind keeping the exploit hidden even though it will get patched anyways.
Nintendo has no indication of what this vuln is, nor would they pick up on it if they (for some reason, in 2016) did another security audit of Cafe OS. It's very unsuspecting. Here's me kinda putting words in Marionumber1's mouth but - in a few years it'll be much more acceptable to casually release this exploit since the platform will be pretty much dead. Don't hold your breath for an intentional public release of this exploit while the console's still on the market and actively supported, tho. My onion, peace.

Reactions: NWPlayer123

steelseth

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
Actually you can't even buy IDA unless you purchase it as part of like, an accredited security firm. They literally refuse sales to individuals, even given the money. Most reverse-engineers I know turn a blind eye to IDA piracy because of this. I'm licensed as a CS student thru my university, but it rly doesn't mean anything to me if someone pirates IDA. If you really have moral issues with it, you can be an objdump hero like nocash, too.
Tell your reverse-engineer friends to go here

http://www.german-sales.com/shop/de/system-tools/ida-pro-basis-computer-lizenz-windows.htm

Add to cart.

Press checkout and they are done, no more piracy .

Last edited by steelseth,
Reactions: brienj

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's not arrogant at all, it's a fact, as Wulfy said, even if they do an audit they wouldn't be able to find it
Almost make it sound like a bug in something not theirs.

That site for IDA you posted... not look so legit.... Is that really a reputable site for Germans to buy software? o.O Looks like some nobodies scamming site. Lol.

Last edited by EclipseSin,

vgmoose

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
It's not arrogant at all, it's a fact, as Wulfy said, even if they do an audit they wouldn't be able to find it

"it won't get patched until we let it just cause of the way it works lmao"
I've heard and seen it's been shared with several people already. They could release/leak at any moment and you wouldn't "let" them. You are making it sound like you're strong-arming/in charge of Nintendo's actions, which you are not. That is arrogance: "revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance".

Reactions: brienj

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    LTT also did it
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    jdhello
    @SylverReZ that guy seriously spent over 2 grand on that hot wheels pc?
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    LTT is a noob
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
    a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool: Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if...