Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

Damieh79

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Totally not possible due to plenty of checks. If it was this easy, literally every system out right now would be hacked to bits.

NUS emulation is going to be impossible due to SSL, probably. Network traffic isn't encrypted with the common key... Even if you could, the updater probably does checks to the version title to make sure it's older than the one specified in the update manifest. Aaaaand actually that being said, you probably can't create your own update manifest, either. There's no reason update manifests wouldn't be RSA secured.

Oh you're so right, SSL.
Technically you could break it (mitm + forging a signature). But if they use TLS then the dream ended right here (at least until we have full access to a wii u).

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh you're so right, SSL.
Technically you could break it (mitm + forging a signature). But if they use TLS then the dream ended right here (at least until we have full access to a wii u)
You'd need quite a few permissions to be able to do anything with the updater. At that point, you'd probably be able to downgrade the system in more practical ways - or you wouldn't even need to.

Reactions: Damieh79

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When are you guys gonna show us the exploit proof

Oh, a PoC or a tease would be nice BUT then we'd have to deal with "The U-Hype Train" (TM) and I don't really need to see a flood of useless posts from clueless posters. So, derail the hype train before it even starts rolling. Just show something a few hours before it is definitely going to be released.

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This whole discussion is pointless the Wii already wouldn't install anything with a lower title version you can be 100% sure this didn't change on the Wii U.

From WiiBrew:

Downgrading

NOTE: IT'S STRONGLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU DON'T ATTEMPT TO DOWNGRADE YOUR Wii's FIRMWARE.
The methods used to do this are risky and often illegal. Instead, remember that even the latest version will let you enjoy most Wii homebrew, and that newer homebrew is likely to work with the latest version of the Wii software. The risks of downgrading are large at this point, and you could easily render your Wii completely bricked with no possible fix.

It's not about doing this with an unmodified Wii U; the point is to see if it's possible at all, in case there is an easier / more dependable exploit available in a lower firmware version. Case in point: 3DS downgrade to 4.x

IbbyPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want to thank MN1 and NWP. Whenever I look online for information on a Webkit exploit all I see is PS4 WebKit Exploit! and same for the PSVita. Most of the PS4 news points to the PSVita. However, none of the news for these systems really acknowledges the Wii U. I see things like "A talented team of hackers made and exploit on the PSVita using the internet browser." and "The exploit that some people made for the PSVita has been ported to the PS4."

What I don't see is "A hacking group led by Marionumber1 and NWPlayer123 made a WebKit based exploit for the Wii U that has been ported to sony systems!"

crediar

Possiblenator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's not about doing this with an unmodified Wii U; the point is to see if it's possible at all, in case there is an easier / more dependable exploit available in a lower firmware version. Case in point: 3DS downgrade to 4.x

Yes it is, it is about feeding the Wii U older versions via NUS.

Of course you can downgrade with the right amount of access.

hbk2004v1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
why would you need to downgrade anyway with 5.3.2 being expliotable i don't get it , im not updating after hearing all this

JVC2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why would you need to downgrade anyway with 5.3.2 being expliotable i don't get it , im not updating after hearing all this

The kernel exploit is said to work up to 5.3.2,but the webkit exploit is still needed after,and downgrading is always welcome once the big N puts a stop to the exploit later on.

JVC2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
basically to shorten it all down. dont update lol unlike what a few others are suggesting to do for some reason!!!

Users lower than 5.1.0 only have userland access,im sure once the exploit is out the updated webkit exploit should follow,so I dont see any point staying on lower 5.1.0 if you are not working on any userland code.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work