Hacking Wii u and Wii U game pad hack talk to be presented soon at CCC/30c3

RunkMunk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm no expert at hacking WiiUs or 3DS but I have massive respects for ppl who do and are working constantly to make it happen! =)

Im 24 yr old and it is getting "old" of flaming, even on the internet so just cut out you guys who are still doing it! ;)

lets focus instead on supporting the awesome guys who are very technical and massively smart at hacking, haxxing and so on! ^^,

Reactions: Celice

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
will there be a live stream of it?

(sry if it's already said somewhere before and I have missed out it)

CCC have had a wide variety of livestreams for years at this point (some video/managed ones, possibly and audio only and a "just the slides" one as well). Indeed depending upon where you are in Germany and where you can get to on the day there may even be a university or hacker club with a hookup (which is nice as the modern console talks tend to get a bit hammered). The final schedule/Fahrplan is not up yet and most of the 30c3 wiki is not but have a look at an old one if you want to get an idea of what goes http://events.ccc.de/congress/2012/wiki/Congress_everywhere
Once it is done as well then usually within a few hours it is up on their FTP for download and up on youtube not long after that.

The presenters can request that the stream not be made available but I doubt that will be the case here.

msaraiva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here is a update on what will be presented on dec 27! Intresting stuff indeed... https://events.ccc.de/congress/2013/Fahrplan/events/5290.html

Both abstracts were already posted on this thread by marcan and delroth respectively, but thanks.

As for the usual trolls...GBATemp never ceases to amaze. In a bad way, of course. The sense of entitlement is absurd, and people resort to personal attacks to hackers and developers when they don't get what they want.

Drcreek

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.david-marsden.com
XP
Country
I'm more interested in when the Homebrew Bootstrap will be available.

It would be fun to see what devs can come up with the added CPU & GPU power and the Wii U game pad.

Better emulators, indie games, classic game ports and new utilities like proper HD media players and file management.

Watch a film on the screen, browse the web on the Gamepad with automatic fetching of IMDB data so you can see cast and crew etc. So much fun stuff to try.

Hopefully it will also be easier to inject code in to the Wii U software. I'd love to be able to send screenshots to Twitter instead of Miiverse for example.

Maybe if we're really lucky they might be able to tap in to the vWii and enable rendering at 1080p like Dolphin does.

It's going to be a fun year for Nintendo Homebrew!

Kargaroc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm interested in hearing more about the Wii U software stack myself. Quite mysterious at the moment, except for f0f.

msaraiva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
or disappointing :creep:

svenpeter said:
About a year ago Nintendo released their latest video gaming console, the Wii U. Since 2006, the Wii has led to one of the most active homebrew scenes after its security system was completely bypassed. This talk will discuss the improvements made in Wii U's architecture and explain how it was broken in less than 31 days. The talk is targeted at those who hack (or design) embedded system security, but gamers might also find it interesting.

Description:

The talk will consist of several parts. First, we will discuss the Wii U: what it is, what makes it tick, and how it compares to its predecessor, the Wii.

Next, we will cover two different approaches that we used to attack the Wii U system. The focus will be on how our results were achieved instead of on what those results are, so you can reproduce the attacks at home. Along the way we'll describe the Wii U's security architecture.

The third and final part of the talk will cover where to go from here: What is broken, what is yet to be broken, things that still have to be done to create a viable homebrew ecosystem, the balance between the effort required and the reward for users and hackers, and the potential upsides and downsides of different approaches.

Basic knowledge of embedded systems and CPU architectures is recommended for attendees, although we will try to explain required concepts as we go along.

Before and after the talk we will also be available in the hackcenter for those who would like to discuss further details or embedded security in general.

If you don't find the abstract above AT LEAST interesting, then i only have one thing to say to you: arrrrr, aye scurvy one!

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I'm interested in hearing more about the Wii U software stack myself. Quite mysterious at the moment, except for f0f.
well the stack itself is just an instruction, pointer to an array, or a pile of data. What it is made of is what will be interesting, like packets, frames or association methods (via listening ports or aware 1/0 bits on both devices doing the listen/talk sync)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Kargaroc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I managed to see and record the talk. You would have better chance waiting for the official video release.
They were somewhat vague when talking about Wii U mode, but they gave off several hints as to their attack vectors, one of which was the web browser.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
    +1
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ddddddddddddddddddddddd
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my fingie hurt
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Why?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    hangnail thing I think
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ... that's rough buddy
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    peepee
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Roll them little snake eyes in
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :wacko: rolling?
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    make up his mind dude
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: make up his mind dude