Hacking Wii Firmware 4.0 Guide.

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just a quick question, since the in-topic search yielded no results. How do I install .dol files? I'm trying to update Waninkoko's IOS36 v7 to v8, but I don't know how xD

EnigmaXtreme

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
--JoCa-- said:
EnigmaXtreme said:
Reposted cause nobody answered it

Ok what just happened to me scared the crap out of me

I decided to reinstall a certyain custom WAD onto the 4.0E Wii Menu then went to play Madworld and when I went to teh diisc channel I got the Black screen of Doom!!! Fortunatelly I restarted, removed the WAD and it played fine afterwards.

It was a custom Wad of Wad Manager, can anyone shine some light on this?

Bad Wad? How many times did you get the BSD? EVERYTIME? Maybe the Wii just did not like the way you've put the disc... Happens to me all the time (+ bad media)

I had installed this WAD on 3.4 but it worked fine, so basically Ive decided to say fuck it to custom wads and just use the HBC

--JoCa--

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
EnigmaXtreme said:
--JoCa-- said:
EnigmaXtreme said:
Reposted cause nobody answered it

Ok what just happened to me scared the crap out of me

I decided to reinstall a certyain custom WAD onto the 4.0E Wii Menu then went to play Madworld and when I went to teh diisc channel I got the Black screen of Doom!!! Fortunatelly I restarted, removed the WAD and it played fine afterwards.

It was a custom Wad of Wad Manager, can anyone shine some light on this?

Bad Wad? How many times did you get the BSD? EVERYTIME? Maybe the Wii just did not like the way you've put the disc... Happens to me all the time (+ bad media)

I had installed this WAD on 3.4 but it worked fine, so basically Ive decided to say fuck it to custom wads and just use the HBC

How many times did you get the Black Screen? I get it a bunch of times, and my Wii is 3.2U...

Cygoku

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wad Manager 1.3 now give me an error ret= -1, anyone know why ??

It worked well when I installed the ios60 patched with free the bug.exe !!

Cygoku

--JoCa--

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Joey Ravn said:
Just a quick question, since the in-topic search yielded no results. How do I install .dol files? I'm trying to update Waninkoko's IOS36 v7 to v8, but I don't know how xD

You can install it via HBC or Twilight Hack.

HBC -> Rename the file to "boot.dol" (without ") and put it inside the apps folder on your SD card. Boot HBC and install.

Twilight Hack -> Guess you know how to do it, right?

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Cygoku said:

Cygoku
I have the same problem. Only my error is the 2011 error. I'm afraid it has something to do with not having a cIOS installed. Other than that I would not have a clue what to do here... I feel fucked!!

Cygoku

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
berlinka said:
Cygoku said:

Cygoku
I have the same problem. Only my error is the 2011 error. I'm afraid it has something to do with not having a cIOS installed. Other than that I would not have a clue what to do here... I feel fucked!!
I am troubleshooting, ret= -1 might be because WM1.3 doesn't support SDHC card. My non-SDHC still run WM1.3 good.

Cygoku

Kosaic

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
WAD Manager 1.3 working fine on my 4.0U , however I had the cIOS installed prior (if that makes a difference)

I just installed a VC game (out of curiousity) using WAD Manager, installed fine and was running from System Memory. I moved it to my 2GB SD Drive, and tried to start it from the new SD Card menu ... Failed. It will not work.

I tried to copy it back to system memory, and that failed. So I deleted it, and reinstalled the WAD, fine again from System memory.

Now sure if 4.0U affected this, but odd nonetheless.

berlinka

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
I just read that I'm screwed. I was too greedy. I wanted this SD thing so bad that I installed the hacked wii update 4.0 in the other topic. Later on I read that a cIOS was needed.

Now I 'm screwed. I think my Wii games still work allright. I can still play with my emulators via HBC.

But I cannot install any WAD anymore.

I'm angry as fuck!

Thingmaker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
berlinka said:
I just read that I'm screwed. I was too greedy. I wanted this SD thing so bad that I installed the hacked wii update 4.0 in the other topic. Later on I read that a cIOS was needed.

Now I 'm screwed. I think my Wii games still work allright. I can still play with my emulators via HBC.

I'm angry as fuck!

Same exact here - wad manager no longer installs squat. The difference is, I installed the 4.0 update (the official) figuring that my WiiKey wouldn't be affected like all the updates before this. Nope, not this time. Now we simply have to wait and pray.

berlinka

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thingmaker said:
berlinka said:

I'm angry as fuck!

Same exact here - wad manager no longer installs squat. The difference is, I installed the 4.0 update (the official) figuring that my WiiKey wouldn't be affected like all the updates before this. Nope, not this time. Now we simply have to wait and pray.
Let's pray together Thingmaker. I suddenly have a better feeling knowing that I'm not alone
wink.gif
Not that I'm glad you have the same problem off course.
I really hope someone really smart will find out something and can make a workaround. I mean in the near future people will buy a Wii with a 4.0 menu already installed. That would mean they could not do anything. And if someone's Wii suddenly breaks, they're also fucked because a new Wii is unmoddable.

I simply cannot believe that they will not find a solution.
LEt's keep hoping and....yes...praying...

Cygoku

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Kosaic said:
WAD Manager 1.3 working fine on my 4.0U , however I had the cIOS installed prior (if that makes a difference)

I just installed a VC game (out of curiousity) using WAD Manager, installed fine and was running from System Memory. I moved it to my 2GB SD Drive, and tried to start it from the new SD Card menu ... Failed. It will not work.

I tried to copy it back to system memory, and that failed. So I deleted it, and reinstalled the WAD, fine again from System memory.

Now sure if 4.0U affected this, but odd nonetheless.You need to install IOS60 patched withe freethebug.exe before and Install it with WadManager1.3

QUOTE(berlinka @ Mar 26 2009, 04:56 PM) I just read that I'm screwed. I was too greedy. I wanted this SD thing so bad that I installed the hacked wii update 4.0 in the other topic. Later on I read that a cIOS was needed.

I'm angry as fuck!
Blame yourself for not reading.

Cygoku

taggart6

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@blazingwolf

Thanks for having the hutzpah to test out 4.0v!

You mentioned that you currently have all the up to date IOS installed needed to play games.

Can you add this list of IOS files to your initial post for those of us still running at a lower firmware version because they are not ready to upgrade?

Once again thanks for the great work!

Hellfire

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Hellfire said:
So... I have 3.4E, HBC and from noobwarriors, backup suite, backup launcher 0.3g, softchip svnr76, cIOS249-v7_waninkokoFULL-nw7 (which I'm guessing is waninkoko's cIOS mentioned in the first post), cIOS248-v7_WiiPowerFix-nw7, IOS16 and 37, that mean I can update normally and still be able to install wads?
Not that I usually do it, I just use homebrew to launch some wiifriid games via softchip, geexbox and mplayer, but still.
Anyone?
tongue.gif

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Zow,

I updated to 4.0E (From 3.2E), all works like a charm
biggrin.gif

Here's how i did and what i tested!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

- First i moved some saves to SD to free up memory (at least 300) on the Wii
- Installed cios36 rev8 through HBC (had a previous version already installed, but to be sure
biggrin.gif
)
- Used Waninkoko firmware updater 4.0 through HBC
- Then used IOS61_60_shop_usingcios249 through HBC
- Installed IOS 60 and IOS61 (Not shop channel)
- Rebooted Wii

* I can use WadInstaller 1.3 (Not the IOS16 version) to install WiiWare and VC
* Moved the channels to SD after the install
* played them from the SD menu
* HBC runs fine from SD

- Didn't test softmod, i have a modchip installed
- Homebrew runs fine from HBC
- Before i moved the channels to SD i used Copy, in case it wouldn't run from SD
- Wii Shop channel works nice
- When you purchase WiiWare or VC you can now choose to install it to Wii or SD
- I have no truncha signed disc, so not tested
- I have no scrubbed discs, so not tested

One thing i noticed,
You can't move the Weather and News channels, also the Mii channel you can't move.
I have 2x photo channel, 1 i can move, the other not, can't even remove it

Jaems

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thingmaker said:
berlinka said:

I'm angry as fuck!

Wait... are you telling me this update kills Wiikey? Fuck!

Edit: nevermind, read the first post. phew.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @rqkaiju2, Physical media is a great source for archiving your data, none of that cloud storage shiz.
    +1
    [squeezes @SylverReZ onto a physical media, then archives you in my old stuff box] :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +1
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [squeezes @SylverReZ onto a physical media, then archives you in my old stuff box]... +1