Hacking Wii Firmware 4.0 Guide.

anonymous_cactus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in the same boat as bloodlust (i think?)...

wiikeyv1 installed long time ago. I didn't realize the difference between IOS and CIOS I honestly havn't been following the scene in the past 8 months or so and havn't even played my wii at all I kept my system at 3.2U for the longest time until the other day.... tried to read up as much as I can but it wasn't until now I see the diference between IOS's and CIOS's

Updated according to instructions (minus the CIOS already installed part) because I wasn't on 3.3/3.4 at all which it mentioned instructions for, and I thought it involved softmods which I didn't think I needed since I have the wiikey... so I thought that step didn't apply to me, and I already had homebrew channel installed.... now that i've read through I realized this was a mistake.

I thought everything was perfect because all my previously installed wads worked off the SD card and all functions work, i can move back and forth without problems... but then i went to install new /wads and i get the error message that I can't install the ticket or whatever it is...

so now it seems like i'm stuck. I can run everything, I have all the 4.0 functions, all my PREVIOUS wads / virtual console things work, but I just can't put anything new on.

d'oh :-/

casket of doom

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
luser404 said:
@Fakehero- There is no fix yet. The 4.0 update patches IOS16 with a stub, so it can no longer be installed /used with Custom WM.

@Casket- That will not help. Neither will formatting your Wii. For now you are stuck, if there was no cIOS installed before the update. Be sure to keep the homebrew channel installed for when a workaround is available.

kk thanks for the reply. ill keep posted for a workaround.

sep1i

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think you need to have installed usb2 before upgrading.
If you can downgrade and install it, you should do that and then upgrade again.

Simmy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
guys... sorry if i sound very noob/newbie about this... just want to make sure i don't do anything wrong... very sorry if this have been asked and repeated before, but i tried reading, and i am very confused...

first and foremost, i have a 3.2U modded with wiikey 1st generation, never gone higher than 3.2U at all. what do i need to do to update to waninkoko 4.0 firmware and still be able to install wiiware/vc? i seen some of them already could not install wad when they are at 4.0 firmware...

and what is cios36 rev8 used for? is it important for me to use?

if someone can give me a step by step breakdown on how to safely install 4.0 firwmare or point me somewhere, it will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

st0rax

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
hehe..
don't want to read all 24 Pages; i have lost the overview ^^ So I have a cioscorped Wii (3.2E); with Preloader and StarFall 0.5 installed; StarFall can't be uninstalled, 'cause it doesn't react. I have heard I will need to uninstall Preloader first and then StarFall to make changes in the StarFall hacks list...
So WHAT will happen if I will apply your updater.dol icefire? You wrote cioscorp/dip isn't affected. What does that mean exactly?

greets
st0rax

st0rax

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
jep, that's the problem ^^
StarFall does not work properly so I want to "kick" it out
biggrin.gif

cloverfield

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I am a little off track of all this information... I have some questions, I hope someone can answer. I have now a pure 3.2E Wii with a WiiKey1.

1. I want to still use my backups (some are 'cleaned' and patched with WiU). Is that possible through the disk channel? And some backups need booting from the GeckoOS in the HBC. Will that work fine too? (don't know if that uses trucka and such...).
2. Do I need to copy the HBC to my SD and delete it from my Wii System to use it?
3. Will all homebrew inside my HBC still work? Like games and the wad manager?
4. Can I copy my purchased and my free channels (official channels) to my SD and delete them from my Wii System to free up space?
5. Same like 4, but now the non-original channels and wiiware wads (installed with the wad manager 1.3).
6. I read that I should install custom ios36 rev 8 from something (like installing with wad manager). Is this save to do? Do I need a Europe version of it?

Is that all, or do I need to think about more ?

I am a little scared to update... but somehow I want/need to!
wink.gif
I do not dare to use the method (waninkoko) of installing all of the IOS'ses for functionality but being stuck at the 3.2E menu.

MG4M3R

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This topic was suppose to be a "Wii Firmware 4.0 Guide".

So, why we don't put some kind of Faq on frist post?

So far I do not know what some patches do...

I just want a way to update to 4.0 (from 3.2 with Wiikey1) maintaining the maximum freatures possible, and until now I'm not sure how I can do it =.=

Simmy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
hmm... for those of you having problem install wad, are you using a 2gb SD card or a 4gb SDHC?

mine gave me a ret=-1 at the retrieving wad using my 4gb SDHC, while using my 1gb SD card, it works flawlessly... i think it's the wad manager that doesn't support reading of SDHC card yet? i'm using wad manager 1.3 is that the latest?

Skiller

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Simmy said:
hmm... for those of you having problem install wad, are you using a 2gb SD card or a 4gb SDHC?

mine gave me a ret=-1 at the retrieving wad using my 4gb SDHC, while using my 1gb SD card, it works flawlessly... i think it's the wad manager that doesn't support reading of SDHC card yet? i'm using wad manager 1.3 is that the latest?

there is 2 versions of Wad Manager 1.3

normal version
then one with better USB and SDHC suppport ..

WAD Manager 1.3 SDHC (Google)

goodsx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK. quick question. Currently I'm running 3.2U all I use the Wii for is playing burned wii games. I don't mess with homebrew. Very rarely play VC games. I have cIOS installed from a software hack that included the waninkoko thing (I don't remember what version) and I use the gamma loader to launch my burned games. While I do have some VC games installed, I don't care if they are deleted because I don't play them. I want to be able to use the wiishop channel to add Wii points so I can download music for rock band 2.

All I want to know is can I just upgrade to 4.0 via system update and still be able to play my burned games using my gamma loader?
Will this install the new WiiShop channel so I can do what I mentioned above?
Will this allow me to play the new games such as madworld without having to load some other "wads?"
Will I have to do anything to my new game ISO's prior to launching them from my gamma loader?

Think that covers it. Wife would kill me if she couldn't play Rock band 2 and Animal Crossing.

Thanks in advance.

Please try to keep answers as dumbed down as humanly possible. I'm very good at following step by step instructions which is why I currently have what I have.
wink.gif

cloverfield

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ToddlerTN said:
Just follow this guide, it worked perfectly for me:

http://www.yafaze.com/wii/menu4.0hack.html
I have read to install the cIOS36 rev 8. Is this bound to a region (i am european PAL). It needs IOS36-64-v1042.wad, what is it and where can I find it? Is it region specific?

And what is installed with the IOS60 installer in the tutorial?

I am a little scared that it goes wrong or what I can't update to future firmware releases of Nintendo.

Whit this methode I keep everything (run backups, run backups by geckoOS, install wads, ...) and take advantage of the new firmware 4.0?

Flibbo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apologize if this has been addressed already, but I have a rather simple question (hopefully).

Would it be possible for me to:
1. Get a virgin 4.0 wii (I assume all new Wiis now are 4.0)
2. Copy over my homebrew channel from my softmodded wii
3. Downgrade using IOS downgrader to 3.2U

If this wouldn't work exactly like that is there some step I could take to make this work such as installing an IOS file?

My current(launch) wii has been getting some bad artifacts(multicolor pixels randomly flickering all over screen) for a few years now and it's getting progressively worse and I actually have the money to get a replacement. I don't want to lose homebrew (especially usb loader) capabilities though.

z3ll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a 3.4u hard modded wii, so ur saying if i update to 4.0u my wii wont get bricked. r u sure it wont get bricked. i only use my wii for a few real games and burned games.

broniak786

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a noob to the homebrew scene, and updated to 4.0U on accident w/o Cios. I do have the homebrew channel, though. Is there any way for me to downgrade?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
    I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu: i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub: