Hacking Wii Disk Loaders Issues and Answers :

boobi_shabang

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
djtaz said:
I bricked my wii installing preloader - IronMask was on hand to sort me out thank god (thanks buddy). He had originally tested it and knew the downfalls and i had to re-install the system menu and it resolved it.

All i can say is be very careful doing other things and read everything twice. I was on firmware 3.3 which was why it corrupted the system - my own fault for not paying more attention , but just a warning to others

Glad the loaders worked well for you

hhmmmmmmm that puts me off a little knowing a master such as yourself bricked your wii, maybe its a step too much for little old noob me! i am on 3.2e at the mo mind so maybe i wouldn't hit the same issues as yourself........

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
yeah as far as i know 3.2 is fine - and im fine with the gamma installer and things like that , but preloader was new grounds when i tried it - no one is a master when testdriving things
tongue.gif

i think its a great app to be honest , though it did corrupt my system , it also let me recover it ironically.

I re-installed it again after , but i do like to let people know to be careful.(as always)... im very confident about the backup loaders working and not bricking anything at this stage - some of the other stuff i still question a little though they seem to be proving themselves.

boobi_shabang

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
djtaz said:
yeah as far as i know 3.2 is fine - and im fine with the gamma installer and things like that , but preloader was new grounds when i tried it - no one is a master when testdriving things
tongue.gif

i think its a great app to be honest , though it did corrupt my system , it also let me recover it ironically.

I re-installed it again after , but i do like to let people know to be careful.(as always)... im very confident about the backup loaders working and not bricking anything at this stage - some of the other stuff i still question a little though they seem to be proving themselves.

my first stubbling block is I'm struggling to get my head round the hacks.ini file and what i need to do to it other than throw it on my sd card, and what it does to the system, maybe i'll keep my head down for a while and see if things come clearer!

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
keep the posts about that stuff to that thread and the lads can help you out ... theres some very helpful amazing people on this site - ask a non noob question and they will all jump in and help - just careful to research first using search at the top

bowser2010

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
Since I said I was sending my wii in and said I would follow up, here goes. Sent it yesterday and it arrived this morning to Mr. Nintendo: https://eshiponline.purolator.com/ShipOnlin...pin=29497428374 . Nintendo still hasn't updated their site to tell me whether they recieved it or if they warranty it, but I will let you know as soon as they do. Sounds like everyone else is doing fine thanks to some good advice. Hope mine works out the same
wink.gif

richglix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, this is my first post here. I successfully hacked into my Wii yesterday.

Mostly with the help of the guides on this site, and on Instructables. What a wild world! There is so much great stuff.

The homebrew browser is particularly cool, props to whomever was involved with that.

Now on to backup loading stuff. I finally got my book type changed, took me a while to get it figured out, here is some help if anyone needs to do it though IMGburn, the link you provide only details the Nero app, which wouldn't work for me.

QUOTE said:
My Drive is made by HP which is not supported by IMGburner tool, and I couldn't figure out the "real" manufacturer of the dive. Eventually I just went to each tab, and tried different things, no matter what I selected I would get an error "no sense data" or something like that. The only tab where I wouldn't get that error was the BenQ tab, so I figured "okay, my drive is made by benq" I then went to advanced settings, selected benQ from the dropdown, and pasted in the name of my drive (gotton from the first line in the box on the upper right side of IMGburn, once you have selected "burn image to disk). I then set the book type for BenQ for DVD+ as DVD-ROM. I then burned and verified!

Burning is a bitch, especially as I have old equipment and cheap disks. My burner doesn't support DVD-!!! So my only option is +, but I did get it working.

NOOB QUESTION TIME:
I've tried to read as much as possible about this, so forgive me if these questions are noobish or have been answered.

1. Is there a good resource for emulator reviews/write-ups? I'm only interested in emulators that run the games as nicely as VC. No frameskip or any of that nonsense.

2. Are any of the emulators "channel ready" yet? The only ones I have seen, seem to run off the HB channel, but I have seen pics of a SNES channel before, and I'm curious if stuff like that exists.

3 (this is long)

What I have installed already -
Twilight Hack -> Homebrew Channel -> DVDx set to 249 -> CIOS7 (the one needed for bootldr)

Boot Channel
SD Manager

That is it so far. Is there other stuff that I need to make the backups work better? I patched my TVC with the brickbreaker and regionfrii patches. The boot up is weird. Sometimes it boots, sometimes I have to do a "reboot", sometimes neither works. Ingame, sometimes on the matchup screen, where it shows the 4 fighters for that match, it crashes.

Is this because of bad burn quality, or do I need things like Preloader, Stardock (or whatever its called) or CIOSCORP? I'm not even sure what they do, or what the advantages are of using them, any help would be appreciated.

THANKS GBATEMP! This scene is awesome!

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
richglix said:
Hi, this is my first post here. I successfully hacked into my Wii yesterday.

Mostly with the help of the guides on this site, and on Instructables. What a wild world! There is so much great stuff.

The homebrew browser is particularly cool, props to whomever was involved with that.

Now on to backup loading stuff. I finally got my book type changed, took me a while to get it figured out, here is some help if anyone needs to do it though IMGburn, the link you provide only details the Nero app, which wouldn't work for me.

1st post links to : http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=129239 - click the burning spoiler

richglix said:
NOOB QUESTION TIME:
I've tried to read as much as possible about this, so forgive me if these questions are noobish or have been answered.

1. Is there a good resource for emulator reviews/write-ups? I'm only interested in emulators that run the games as nicely as VC. No frameskip or any of that nonsense.
I dont know a whole lot about emu's as i dont use them , but question 2's answer should show u a few things.

richglix said:
2. Are any of the emulators "channel ready" yet? The only ones I have seen, seem to run off the HB channel, but I have seen pics of a SNES channel before, and I'm curious if stuff like that exists.
Check out www.wadder.net if you want to make your own bootable channels from the DOL's you have - and theres a few there to download already
biggrin.gif

QUOTE(richglix @ Jan 22 2009, 12:52 AM)
3 (this is long)

What I have installed already -
Twilight Hack -> Homebrew Channel -> DVDx set to 249 -> CIOS7 (the one needed for bootldr)

Boot Channel
SD Manager

That is it so far. Is there other stuff that I need to make the backups work better? I patched my TVC with the brickbreaker and regionfrii patches. The boot up is weird. Sometimes it boots, sometimes I have to do a "reboot", sometimes neither works. Ingame, sometimes on the matchup screen, where it shows the 4 fighters for that match, it crashes.

Is this because of bad burn quality, or do I need things like Preloader, Stardock (or whatever its called) or CIOSCORP? I'm not even sure what they do, or what the advantages are of using them, any help would be appreciated.

THANKS GBATEMP! This scene is awesome!
The fact that you used DVDx means you didnt get the files from this site - which is where the scene started for loaders - no one here uses DVDx since the beta loader that caused trouble - you can uninstall it.
Im also wondering what channel you have now , and in fact how old all of your files are - take a look at my zip (in my signature) and use the loader from that .. the files i have are always up to date
For gameplay you shouldnt need preloader , starfall or cioscorp , but i like that you have read up on these, all you need is cios7 and a boot channel with 002 fix to get the most benifit.

where did you get your files ? loads are installing dvdx in the last few weeks and everyone has trouble because of it.

richglix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About the first answer, yeah I read the guide, there is just no detailed info on how to change booktype in IMGburn (unless I still don't see it). There is some info in the DVD media spoiler, but he links to a guide that only shows how to change it using a NERO program that would work for me... (just an FYI, I'm all good now)

About my files:

I got the first batch from a link on instructables. From that I installed Twihack, HB, then the OLD boot loader, where you had to pick which region when installing.

I then got the better pack of files, from here, with the Zelda and Wiish bootloaders. I deleted the old BL channel and installed the Wiiish one.

Sometimes, when trying to us the BLC, it freezes, when I hit reset, I get a weird Hex dump. From what I have read, this is somewhat normal.

Thanks for the help, especially the link for the emulator stuff, I really appreciate it.

I'm new here, but not new to the emulation scene, I'm not a coder, but I'm good at making these things work, command line, whatever, I'm good at following instructions and trying different stuff. Hopefully I can be a good member of the community here...

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

The only emulators on alpha stage at the moment are Wii64 (N64 emu) and PSXii (PS1 emu), the NES SNES MD SG and other work great, if you have the HOMEBREW BROWSER, why don't you download them and try them a while so you can see it for yourself.

Yes they do exist but you need to search pretty well, if they're not existing (wich I highly doubt), you can make them with your own personal Banner if you like, there is a tutorial on how to do it, pretty basic and simple to follow

3. What I have installed already -
Twilight Hack -> Homebrew Channel -> CIOS7 -> DVDx set to 249

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
richglix said:
About the first answer, yeah I read the guide, there is just no detailed info on how to change booktype in IMGburn (unless I still don't see it). There is some info in the DVD media spoiler, but he links to a guide that only shows how to change it using a NERO program that would work for me... (just an FYI, I'm all good now)

About my files:

I got the first batch from a link on instructables. From that I installed Twihack, HB, then the OLD boot loader, where you had to pick which region when installing.

I then got the better pack of files, from here, with the Zelda and Wiish bootloaders. I deleted the old BL channel and installed the Wiiish one.

Sometimes, when trying to us the BLC, it freezes, when I hit reset, I get a weird Hex dump. From what I have read, this is somewhat normal.

Thanks for the help, especially the link for the emulator stuff, I really appreciate it.

I'm new here, but not new to the emulation scene, I'm not a coder, but I'm good at making these things work, command line, whatever, I'm good at following instructions and trying different stuff. Hopefully I can be a good member of the community here...

If you got the files from my zip - install the cIOS there as well - the files you have/had are complete rubbish and can you post on where you got them that they are shit please ?
its causing us no end of trouble in here with that DVDx files version - someone took an old guide and made a crap attempt at updating it and failed causing everyone with problems to come here

richglix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ether2802 said:
answer: If you don't know what they are, you might want to read a little bit on their threads and catch up what they do, and none of them will help you to read better BTW...!!!
smile.gif

Believe me, I tried! I couldn't find a good thread or an "official" thread or whatever that just explained what they do and what their purpose is. I totally understand that CIOSCORP patches all your IOS's to custom ones, and I understand that the other two kind of setup an "enviornmet", like an old DOS boot disk, is what it seems to me. But, I don't really understand what this accomplishes, especially cuz "region-free" doesn't work, or whatever.

I'm only even asking, because in one of the threads about CIOSCORP, someone was saying that with CIOSCORP and gamma, that 99% of backups run perfectly, and I don't understand what CIOSCORP has to do with it.

richglix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djtaz said:
If you got the files from my zip - install the cIOS there as well - the files you have/had are complete rubbish and can you post on where you got them that they are shit please ?
its causing us no end of trouble in here with that DVDx files version - someone took an old guide and made a crap attempt at updating it and failed causing everyone with problems to come here

Yeah, I installed the CIOS, its the one labeled "1" that is right above the version of the Boot Channel (In the HBC menu) that you can run off the SD, correct?

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CIOSCORP basically sets all of your games to boot from a custom IOS (cIOS) instead of the normal IOS.
By doing this and setting the system menu to a cIOS as well , you basically have everything running on a custom version of the IOS's that lets the disc channel recognise the games.

All games can then be loaded from the disc channel without the need for a backup loader channel.. the wii still only recognises the same region discs.

preloader is pretty much as you described - like a dos boot disc - it lets you specify where you want to load from and is handy for anyone who installs a banner brick wad that kills the system menu - you can boot to homebrew channel and uninstall it again.

Posts merged

richglix said:
djtaz said:

Yeah, I installed the CIOS, its the one labeled "1" that is right above the version of the Boot Channel (In the HBC menu) that you can run off the SD, correct?

correct - you sometimes need to remove the one thats in there first with any title deleter - (ios249) and re-install the cIOS - might be worth trying that
biggrin.gif

richglix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djtaz said:
correct - you sometimes need to remove the one thats in there first with any title deleter - (ios249) and re-install the cIOS - might be worth trying that
biggrin.gif

ATD scares the shit out of me.
smile.gif
I wish I was man enough to code some thing where it takes those weird entries it gives (like a hexcode and then a 3 letter abbr) and compares them to a text file, and then outputs what they really are.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
and your right to be scared !! some have bricked their wii's trying to 'tidy them up' lol

as long as its only ios249 your perfectly safe - the only thing to use that is the backup loader - and it wont have any bad effects on your wii other than stopping the backup games playing - then reinstall number 1 in the homebrew channel and your back in busniness - try some games that didnt work and cross your fingers.

zicon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I've installed the latest guide (gamma) using the wiigator wii backup loader on my friends wii and i don't know what has gone wrong.

When i put a backup in and try to load it via the backup channel, i just get a black screen and the dvd-drive makes a noise. Eventually it says rebooting with hooks.

After reading through a lot of the posts on here, i'm thinking it is best to remove all the wad files ive added from the tutorial and then to do the official nintendo update. Then i should be able to downgrade it back to 3.2 and start again.

Am i right in thinking this is the best thing to do, or is there a better way to fix the problem?

Any advice is greatly appreciated
smile.gif

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Where did you get the files you originally installed ? and please tell me they didnt have DVDx in them ?

your plan to upgrade and downgrade again sounds like a decent way to do it - it should solve your issue , but its hard to say 100% unless we know everything that has happened.

zicon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the advice. I got the files sent to me by my friend. He has successfully applied it to his wii and i have successfully done mine - i've just had this problem when i tried it on my friends.

The files are the new ones with the 002 loader (0.3 beta) so i don't think they have DVDx in them. However based on what you have said, i will get the latest files from the link in your sig and upgrade his firmware and then start from scratch.

richglix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@zicon - You should be able to hit 1 on the gamma loader to bring up a menu, mine would only work some of the time.

djtaz, thanks for all your help, I went in and removed dvdx hidden channel, and the ios249 using ATD.

It seemed to be working well, but I was still having issues with the gamma loader. So...

This morning I installed RiskWii!!!! I just decided to go for it
smile.gif
Everything boots fine from the disc channel!! It works EVERY time now, no more hassle!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.