Hacking Wii black screen even after Bootmii NAND format

Biovirulent

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh boy.. well, it looks like this wii might be done for.

Anyhow, suddenly, yesterday, my Wii decided to stop booting up.
It turns on, but the screen is black and there's no sound.

I managed to format my sd card and then boot up bootmii, backup the nand (although it might be bricked...) and then format it.

I still get the black screen.

I looked through ribbon cables and everything should be in working order. I don't know what to do from here.

Biovirulent

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wish I could get some help here.

I've tried everything. I've tried downgrading, formatting the NAND, using the old NAND, Bootmii, MMM....

The system just isn't working.

Zero72463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you still get into the HBC and check your Wii IOS using the IOS checker? I can't really tell you whats wrong if you give it to us, but I am sure someone else can.

Biovirulent

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you still get into the HBC and check your Wii IOS using the IOS checker? I can't really tell you whats wrong if you give it to us, but I am sure someone else can.

Well, if someone needs to know it, no I cannot get into the HBC. IOS Checker? In MMM? I installed all the IOS Wads I needed to, downgraded, etc, still the same problem.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Oh boy.. well, it looks like this wii might be done for.

Anyhow, suddenly, yesterday, my Wii decided to stop booting up.
It turns on, but the screen is black and there's no sound.

I managed to format my sd card and then boot up bootmii, backup the nand (although it might be bricked...) and then format it.

I still get the black screen.

I looked through ribbon cables and everything should be in working order. I don't know what to do from here.
What do you mean by format it? I don't think BootMii has a format option, and formatting the NAND makes no sense, this isn't a PC...

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Biovirulent

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can try creating a clean NAND with ohneschwanzenegger: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Ohneschwanzenegger
It will delete everything on your Wii and bring you back to vanilla firmware (no hacks installed, except BootMii)

Hmm.. well I have that program and I tried to do something with the old nand... forget what it was for.
I can try that though.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Actually, I think I tried that. At least I did for v4.1

What do I put into the program to get the original firmware?

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
If creating a new NAND doesn't work out then it could be a faulty bluetooth/wifi module. However I'm not sure if you would even be able to get into BootMii were that the case so who knows. But using ohneschwazenegger is your best bet right now.

Biovirulent

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If creating a new NAND doesn't work out then it could be a faulty bluetooth/wifi module. However I'm not sure if you would even be able to get into BootMii were that the case so who knows. But using ohneschwazenegger is your best bet right now.

Okay, thank you. :) I actually tried taking that out to see if it worked without one. (It might just need a replacement if that's the case) but it had the same problem.
Yeah, I'm restoring the wiped nand right now in bootmii.

EDIT: That... did nothing? :wtf:

I can't figure out what's wrong with this thing. It might be the wifi module. Don't know how it managed to stop working without being touched though.

Last edited by Biovirulent,

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay, thank you. :) I actually tried taking that out to see if it worked without one. (It might just need a replacement if that's the case) but it had the same problem.
Yeah, I'm restoring the wiped nand right now in bootmii.

EDIT: That... did nothing? :wtf:

I can't figure out what's wrong with this thing. It might be the wifi module. Don't know how it managed to stop working without being touched though.
The things can inexplicably die at any time and there doesn't necessarily have to be a reason for it. One way you can be 100% sure that it's the BT module is to take a wiimote that had been synced and try to power the Wii on with it. If it doesn't power on then it's likely the BT module. However with all the NAND wiping you've done it could very well have erased the sync registry so who knows. If you can't get it working with a clean NAND then I would try to see if you can get into the HBC from bootmii and maybe trying to fix the system menu from there, since it sounds like you may have a missing system menu or IOS.

Wait, if you can't get into the HBC then how did you make it into MMM?

Reactions: Biovirulent

Biovirulent

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The things can inexplicably die at any time and there doesn't necessarily have to be a reason for it. One way you can be 100% sure that it's the BT module is to take a wiimote that had been synced and try to power the Wii on with it. If it doesn't power on then it's likely the BT module. However with all the NAND wiping you've done it could very well have erased the sync registry so who knows. If you can't get it working with a clean NAND then I would try to see if you can get into the HBC from bootmii and maybe trying to fix the system menu from there, since it sounds like you may have a missing system menu or IOS.

Wait, if you can't get into the HBC then how did you make it into MMM?

Oh wow... that's why my wiimote wasn't syncing?
And, well. Yeah, that may have erased that.

EDIT: Also, I just attempted HBC from bootmii, black screen. Gotta be the wifi module then, right?

How? I don't know. I watched a video and there were files to have MMM boot up from the SD card as boot2.

Last edited by Biovirulent,

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
If you do have the ability to completely remove the bluetooth module, it would be good to know if bootmii and MMM boot up with it removed. That way we can figure out whether or not those two depend on bluetooth. If neither boot up with it removed, then your BT module is likely fine. If they boot, well, then we still can't be sure.

Biovirulent

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you do have the ability to completely remove the bluetooth module, it would be good to know if bootmii and MMM boot up with it removed. That way we can figure out whether or not those two depend on bluetooth. If neither boot up with it removed, then your BT module is likely fine. If they boot, well, then we still can't be sure.

Bootmii starts fine with it removed. MMM, I'm not sure, I would have to clear bootmii out of my sd card and use those files instead and try.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It looks like MMM does not start without it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: :( +1