Hacking Wii Anti-Bricking Tips & Guides

LxTrix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since we haven't gotten our Wii Bricks board i'm going to organize the info i find about safe practices and ways to fix bricks here. If you have a link to submit let me know as i will continue to update this.

OSW said:
Dos: (These may protect you or help you recover from a brick)
Install bootmii as boot2 (if possible).
Make a Nand backup (via bootmii, mini or WiiND)
Install Homebrew channel.
Block Updates (via brickblocker, preloader or starpatch)

Don'ts: (These will likely lead you to a brick)
Format your Wii (via settings).
Delete system menu.
Delete any IOS' (especially those used by system menu - IOS9,11,20,30,50,52,60).
Install untested wads/themes without bootmii or preloader installed.
Update system menu without knowing what you may gain/lose.
Downgrade system menu or IOS' (especially If your wii has boot2v4 (aka LU64/65) revision or newer).
Touch your Wii's power or power button while doing any updating or installation of system content.

The best thing to do for your wii is install bootmii as a boot2. Wii's bought before December 2008 usually allow you to install bootmii as a boot2.

Types of Bricks
Full brick
A “full-brick" Wii displays an Opera error message instead of the “warning” screen when the Wii boots — it does not even check the disc drive for a disc before displaying this, meaning it is impossible to fix this using software unless you use a Savemii with an autoboot disc. Full bricks due to other causes can simply cause black screens on boot. Some are recoverable with a SaveMii and an autoboot disc, and others aren't.

Semi-Brick (Partial Brick)
A semi-bricked Wii has a small error in the System Menu. Once a Wii is semi-bricked, it cannot enter the settings screen. There are repair discs for semi-bricked Wii consoles, but not for those fully bricked.

Banner Brick
Banner bricks come from installing a WAD with an invalid banner (e.g. wrong image size). With this type of brick the system will freeze after the health warning screen. It may also display a "System Files are Corrupted" error message.

Brick Fixes
bootmii installed as boot2
Priiloader + bootmii as IOS
Full Nand Data Management
ModChip + SaveMe/Modded Gamecube Controller + Recovery Disc
Send Wii to Nintendo - This option is the least desirable for homebrew users, as Nintendo will likely send back a different console, with your personal settings/VC account transferred and the latest updates installed.

Apps that Brick - Programs you need to avoid as they install Stub IOS60.
WiiBrew Brick Info

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, on that android PC? +1