Wii #0448 - NiGHTS: Hoshi Furu Yoru no Monogatari (Japan)

mooyah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i do like it, i just think they have done a bit too much (ie story, weird voices) and it has taken some of the charm away.

Got stuck on chapter1-3 where you have to paraloop around those things getting sucked into the black hole or whatever. Seem to save a load but still get a game over.

You gotta save them all until the time's up. I failed a bunch of times too but then realised the white circles on the small map show you where the little dudes are.

domislong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Never played NiGHTS before...but I gotta say I'm not enjoying this.

Graphics are poor, characters/voice acting are annoying and you cannot skip cutscenes. Wii controller does not work well, I use GC instead. Story is very cliche and uninspired.

Guess you can say I'm not a fan...

dydy

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Never played NiGHTS before...but I gotta say I'm not enjoying this.

Graphics are poor, characters/voice acting are annoying and you cannot skip cutscenes. Wii controller does not work well, I use GC instead. Story is very cliche and uninspired.

Guess you can say I'm not a fan...

you are poor and you stink
biggrin.gif

NeoWoeN

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm a very, very, very big fan of the first Nights, on Saturn...but this one...No.

Sega killed Nights... The voice...The story... Gameplay (NightBoat...yeh...sure...What the fuck Sega ?! ).

I'm so disapointed...

stok3d

Retro Gaming Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I own almost every 'who's who' title for the Wii and many other systems, so I know what a winner feels like, and this isn't it.

No, I'm not comparing this to the original NiGHTS offering as I've never played it so there wasn't that sense of 'big shoes to fill' others may have for this release.

The graphics are colorful yet average for the Wii. It's the linear gameplay thats a real turn-off.

Leave this one to the kiddies, 6/10.

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
It doesn't happen every day that I THROW a game in the bin. I did it with this one.

I really tried so hard to like this game. And after 3 hours of playing I can say for sure that I will NEVER EVER EVER play this game again. It's just like stok3d said, it's colourful and it doesn't look ugly, but it's like it's a mixture of N64 and Gamecube graphics. Well, anything for the framerate. And the framerate is fine. No complaints.

But I started the game using the Wiimote. Which sucks really hard! It's like an invisible area within the screen, that is much smaller, in which you can move around. But the cursor flickers and jumps. It's madness to try and get a good hoop-spin-thing, Then there's the Pandemonium-like environment, which is VERY confusing, because it not only goes left and right and round the bend, no it also goes UP AND DOWN and half of the time you really don't know where you are. It gets even more difficult when:
- you have to watch where you fly and not bump into things
- you have watch the dash meter, so you know how much moreyou can dash
- you have to watch the fucking bird in front of you which goes fast, up, down, everywhere and it sometimes seems impossible to catch
- you have to watch the time because when it runs out it's NIGHT OVER!

Talking about the last, in the first level I managed to get three keys from them birds and continued to the end boss. Which was some crazy joker-balloon which you had to bump to the top, which is BLOODY difficult. And while you're sweating on this heavy task, it laughs in a way that becomes almost unbearable after 5 minutes. The first time I obviously didn't manage to beat the end boss....SO....I got dropped of at THE BEGINNING OF THE FUCKING STAGE!!!!! I had to get all those keys again and then try to get that motherfucker to the top again.

Well after that there was a level that was so simple, it was just hilarious. Get 30 links, and you're done. Big deal, instead of the 1,5 hours that I had to spend on the first level, I did level 2 in approximately 1 minute! HUH?

Well, there was a sort of river level with a boat you had to steer, which was very average and not really fun and a level where you had to save Nightopians from being sucked into some black hole. Well, this was the point I really had to get the Nunchuck, because the Wiimote control almost drove me insane with frustration. This level SUCKED!!!!! BIG TIME!!! This is not fun! This is pure frustration. With a bit of luck and thousands of hoops I managed to make it.

Well, after another balloon-joker level which was even longer than before. And then there was another chasing level, as frustrating as the first. Well I managed to get 2 keys, and I had the last key but didn't reach the cage in time!

That was the point I thought, okay let's forget it and throw this son of a bitch away. I really tried, and I had a lot of trouble finding it, I forgave the average graphics (allthough the intro was really nice) but it just showed me that this game was not fully thought through. It could easily have been so good, but this one is REALLY BAD! Allthough the music is very nice. And also the atmosphere is nice and dreamy, allthough I found the Disney World feel a bit too much.

I'm a very tolerant gamer if I might say so myself, but this is really a bad game and gives little to no fun despite the cool intro, colourful graphics and good music. It's a shame because I had high hopes for this one.

This isn't Nights: the journey of Dreams, it's the journey of NIGHTMARES (you saw this one coming
wink.gif
)

Presentation: 8
Graphics: 6
Music: 8.5
Playability: 3
Overall: 4.5

mackem

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Your bin lasted longer than mine. I don't normally throw games in the bin, they just end up gathering dust, but this was hurled with force when it stuck me back at the start of the game after failing the first pinball boss. I looked at the little lad running back to the cage with a stunned stare.

Nintendo Power has given this pile of crap 90%. I despair at the sad folks who shell out for this.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can't remember much about the original Nights game on the Saturn but from what I remember, it was quite a decent game even though I found it in a second hand stall and played it about 10 years after it first came out originally.

It's a shame that Nights fans who waited years and years for a sequel seems to have their... dreams crushed. I'm still hopeful that Samba De Amigo will turn out well but I'm betting the strong nostalgia I had from when I first played it is going to ruin my judgement.

berlinka

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
berlinka did you play NightS in the saturn?

No I've never played the original. So I was completely blank. I watched the youtube movies and got excited because on a tiny screen the game looked VERY promising. The reality however is somewhat different.

Hero-Link

Hero of Derrr
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
berlinka did you play NightS in the saturn?

No I've never played the original. So I was completely blank. I watched the youtube movies and got excited because on a tiny screen the game looked VERY promising. The reality however is somewhat different.

oh, because that "Pandemonium" style is like the original, i never got into the game as well because of that (although i only saw videos, and other people playing, never actually played myself)

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I`ve got a question: Is it normal that I have to do a hole mission again if I fail to beat a boss. Because I`m in the second World (first mission) and I didn`t manage to beat him and I had to do the level again...

I don`t think that this was the case at the first boss. I died a few times and nevertheless I didn`t have to do the hole level again.

Did anyone experience the same?

mog7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
has anyone had trouble booting this game?
I am on NTSC US with an older version of wiifree (doesn't have the update for mario)
when I put in the disc it says unable to read disc. Tried 4x and 2.4x and i burn on these dvd's all the time
i thought it might be the mario protection, but in that case then it should say hardware error or something and not this
any ideas?

xCM Punkx

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I`ve got a question: Is it normal that I have to do a hole mission again if I fail to beat a boss. Because I`m in the second World (first mission) and I didn`t manage to beat him and I had to do the level again...

I don`t think that this was the case at the first boss. I died a few times and nevertheless I didn`t have to do the hole level again.

Yeah its completely normal. That why I don't get why everyone is bitching, you had to redo the level if your died/weren't fast enough on the original

berlinka

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands

Yeah its completely normal. That why I don't get why everyone is bitching, you had to redo the level if your died/weren't fast enough on the original

People (like me) are bitching because I expected a fantastic platform adventure, as all game sites are constantly featuring it with big anticipation. But the game just simply sucks. There's no natural flow in the level structure. Often you don't know what to do. For example the first "chasing level" is so tricky that in the beginning you're struggling and when you finally made it, you suddenly have to do SOMETHING with a big balloon-clown, obviously it takes a lot of practice, but basically the first chapter you have to play over and over again to make it. Again, that's not fun.

This game has the words "Mario Galaxy Wannabe" written all over it. This is a big misunderstanding. And I'm sorry to say for all the Nights fans out there. I'm convinced I will not be the only one who is very dissapointed with the game.

So in presentation it may be a Mario Galaxy wannabe, but in fact to me this is more a cleverly disguised Anubis II

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay