Hacking Widescreen Correction in usbloader?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Could you please stop insulting each other? :unsure:

About Aspect ratio swapping in the USBloader:
- Create an iso from that dol which will be listed in the game list.
Launch that title and the homebrew will switch to the other mode, then exit. when exiting it "return to" the USBloader.

It could be a solution until there's an option to "change aspect ratio+reboot the loader" or "change ratio+launch game".

Of course it's hard setting, after exiting the game the aspect ratio will be kept and you need to launch it again to go back to wide screen. That's why I think it's better to have it as a separate title, or "Change+reboot launcher" option instead of having it as a game setting only.

Another solution :
- The loader could have a "default ratio" setting.
when launching the loader, it checks the setting, if it's different from the default setting, it launch the switcher automatically+return to loader.
That way, you could have it in game settings only.

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Im not sure how emu nands work (the way GX is doing it), but shouldnt it be possible to use different emu nands for different game?
That way you could set the aspect ratio to 4:3 in one nand, and 16:9 in the other. Then just launch the game using the emu nand with the correct aspect ratio set.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
with cIOS, it will require to store a setting (d2x is already doing it with block IOS reload, so it's not a problem), but it will need a way to change the Wii setting on game load/exit, I don't know if it's possible.

@Lucif3r:
Yes, it's a solution too, but it seems pretty bothering to remember to swap the Full nandEmu path every time.
Or it would require a path setting in each game's settings.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Could you please stop insulting each other? :unsure:

About Aspect ratio swapping in the USBloader:
- Create an iso from that dol which will be listed in the game list.
Launch that title and the homebrew will switch to the other mode, then exit. when exiting it "return to" the USBloader.

It could be a solution until there's an option to "change aspect ratio+reboot the loader" or "change ratio+launch game".

Of course it's hard setting, after exiting the game the aspect ratio will be kept and you need to launch it again to go back to wide screen. That's why I think it's better to have it as a separate title, or "Change+reboot launcher" option instead of having it as a game setting only.

Another solution :
- The loader could have a "default ratio" setting.
when launching the loader, it checks the setting, if it's different from the default setting, it launch the switcher automatically+return to loader.
That way, you could have it in game settings only.

Sorry about the little rant before, it's just that when I feel insulted I get kind of angry these days ( out of a job for months....! ) ;)
It didn't occur to me that once the widescreen setting is modified, it will stay that way after the Wii reboots...Hmm...
Anyway, JoostinOnline AspectSwitch v1.0 did the trick for me, I just have to run it before launching the CFG to switch settings, and since there are so few games that need the switch anyway, I think that's more then an adequate solution.

What I was suggesting before, is actually a piece of code in the CFG that would add another option under the game or default options: Right there where it's possible to force video mode ( PAL, NTSC ) there could be a call to force 4:3 or 16:9 if it's even possible, as I understand the Apps works now merely as a switch, if one is detected , the other one will be enabled.
The setting could be : Force 4:3 change ratio (if already 4:3 then skip) +launch game, or force 16:9 - change ratio (if already 16:9 then skip )+launch game or Auto ( leave at current settings and launch game ).
Like this, the switch will only occure once in a while, when loading a game with a different setting, otherwise no reason to change the setting.

But anyway, not a big deal.
It's just that some games look so much better when both the Wii and the TV are set to 4:3.....while others don't have 4:3 at all, only anamorphic, and in 4:3 they add some black borders on the top and bottom...well you get the idea... ;)

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
...Or it would require a path setting in each game's settings.

Yea that was what I had in mind, similar to how cIOS is selected... Something like set 1 global "default" nand (so you dont have to chose nand for every game), then a setting in each game where you can chose what nand to use (default, nand1, nand2, etc etc)

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Arm73: Do you have a forwarder channel for Cfg? If so, I think I could pack the app in an ISO so you could run it from Cfg. Let me know what the title ID is. Check the wad you used if you aren't sure (there are almost always 4 letters in all caps at the end of the name, that's the ID).

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@rich333 Your Wii should be set to "Widescreen" and your television's picture mode to "Native" or "1:1" (or whatever it's labeled as on your set).

Also, even with component or HDMI, the Wii has always looked better to me in 480i mode instead of 480p. And I don't have an el-cheapo tv by any means. Was the same way with my previous two sets also, and a different Wii/cables. Using 480i mode in widescreen with component or HDMI cables has always produced the sharper/clearer image imo. Maybe it's because 480p mode adds some blurring to hide the jaggies?

Edit: What I meant in the first part was... the games/Wii aren't stretching the image. It's your TV. Make sure it's in native/1:1/pixel perfect or whatever mode it is labeled as on your TV. Don't use any stretching/squishing or auto modes.

Stop posting bullshit, you clearly know ONLY HALF and it's the bad part.

The only bullshit, "half" of anything, and bad part in this thread is you and everyone knows it. It's already been stated that you clearly know absolutely NOTHING about what you are blabbing on about, so stop while you're ahead. You've already made yourself look stupid enough. If you have nothing better to do than to make posts telling other people they are dumb, make sure you take a good long look in the mirror before doing so next time.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, let's settle down. It got a little heated in here but it's better if we forget about it and move on to fixing the issue at hand.

I agree, but I get a bit upset when someone comes in a thread and starts telling myself (and others) that they are dumb. About the issue... I am still unclear as to why anything needs to be done outside of proper Wii and TV settings. Can someone name a few titles that display incorrectly and need a specific "switch" or change in the system menu? I've never once seen that happen before, with any Wii game. I've never once seen a game squished or stretched and it not be from incorrect Wii and/or TV settings.

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
The point is to make it easier to switch the mode on the wii from 16:9 to 4:3 and back again, without having to go through the system menu.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand that part. My question is why would that be necessary?

Edit: And... I'm not the only one who has reported 480i looking better for them than 480p, when using component cables.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
About the issue... I am still unclear as to why anything needs to be done outside of proper Wii and TV settings. Can someone name a few titles that display incorrectly and need a specific "switch" or change in the system menu? I've never once seen that happen before, with any Wii game. I've never once seen a game squished or stretched and it not be from incorrect Wii and/or TV settings.
I personally dont know any game that uses a wrong AR but someone reported some earlier in the thread.

But what I do know is that some other games like the mentioned Mario Party do 4:3 to 16:9 pillarboxing themselves (aka adding bars without content).
This makes the game work in 16:9 with correct AR. But it also reduces the resolution of the "real" picture by 1/4 (or 25%)
The Wii always renders at the same resolution (but different pixel and picture AR) and when it has to render some bars they take up pixels and thus quality.
Since the actual game is 4:3 anyway you can improve quality by switching both wii and tv to 4:3 without having ANY drawback.
(Unless you count changing collored bars to black ones. But imho thats stupid)
OP just wants to have a simpler way to do the wii switching.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I agree with PsyBlade.
At least to display the games like Mario Party 8 in 4:3 to prevent adding static bars.
I didn't compare the quality of the game, but it make sense that the pixels Aspect Ratio looks different in 4:3 and 16:9, as the output width is always the same.
Though, I don't know which format is the native Aspect Ratio for the pixels. they could have decided to use a weird setting (1:1 pixel AR with 16:9 with a square game area and side bars, and a stretched pixel AR for 4:3. It looks weird, but we never know).

About the picture quality with component cable, it's better in 480p for me.
it looks like it's different for everyone.

Edit:
A TitleID idea for the iso: WIDE
or ARCH (Aspect Ration CHanger)

rich333

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah, I dont mind the static bars in games like Mario Party - apart from burn in issues, at least the game looks correct on screen, others don't add the static bars resulting in a warped image. I must be addicted to shitty games it seems.... :wacko:

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
yeah, I dont mind the static bars in games like Mario Party - apart from burn in issues, at least the game looks correct on screen, others don't add the static bars resulting in a warped image. I must be addicted to shitty games it seems.... :wacko:
So what about that forwarder channel?

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@rich333 Your Wii should be set to "Widescreen" and your television's picture mode to "Native" or "1:1" (or whatever it's labeled as on your set).

Also, even with component or HDMI, the Wii has always looked better to me in 480i mode instead of 480p. And I don't have an el-cheapo tv by any means. Was the same way with my previous two sets also, and a different Wii/cables. Using 480i mode in widescreen with component or HDMI cables has always produced the sharper/clearer image imo. Maybe it's because 480p mode adds some blurring to hide the jaggies?

Edit: What I meant in the first part was... the games/Wii aren't stretching the image. It's your TV. Make sure it's in native/1:1/pixel perfect or whatever mode it is labeled as on your TV. Don't use any stretching/squishing or auto modes.

Stop posting bullshit, you clearly know ONLY HALF and it's the bad part.

The only bullshit, "half" of anything, and bad part in this thread is you and everyone knows it. It's already been stated that you clearly know absolutely NOTHING about what you are blabbing on about, so stop while you're ahead. You've already made yourself look stupid enough. If you have nothing better to do than to make posts telling other people they are dumb, make sure you take a good long look in the mirror before doing so next time.

I sicerely pologize.
But for the record I did'nt call anybody dumb. I only called it a dumb idea.

Also you are most likely the only person that has a worse display when using component cables in 480P oppposed to 480i.
Also ( if possible ) if you set you tv to display the Wii signal into a native resolution ( 1:1 as you call it ), you will get a tiny 640 x 480 picture. Because you set it to display in it's native resolution.

The only reason a tv displays the image the Wii produces in full screen, is the tv's scaling ability.
Some TV's scale miserably ( resulting in potentional lag ), some scale wonderfully.
Samsung tv's are know for there great abiltiy to process the "i" images. ( interlaced )
What the tv does is adding the missing lines ( as ALL platpanels are nativey "p" Progressive- every frame at once.)

I suspect that the image processing of 480i of your TV is what you experience as a "better" picture opposed to a 480p signal.

It not all bullshit you know.. there's always a reason to things.
I don't like to be insulted also, but this IS the better half.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
OK I was meaning to ask something very similar for a long time.
Here's my situation:

My Wii is hooked up with component cables, and set to 480p and 16:9.
Everything looks great, however........
Some games were designed in 4:3, but then detect the Wii internal settings (16:9) and squish the image to add black borders or frames.
Now for those games, what I do is going into the Wii setting menu, setup the screen to 4:3 and then adjust my TV accordingly.
The result ? Well if the game doesn't detect 16:9, then it outputs a nice, clear, native 4:3 image which looks exactly as it should on a TV set to 4:3 with black borders, and the end result is like having a higher resolution.

Then some games are designed and optimized for 16:9 displays ( the majority actually ). In this case, if both Wii and TV are set to 4:3, not only we get black borders, but also a letter boxed image that still is 16:9, but it's framed in black borders all around.
The solution ? Going back to the Wii menu, enable 16:9 and switch the TV accordingly.

It would be nice to have a per game option ( much like force PAL or NTSC ) in the CFG USB loader, to ' force ' the internal Wii setting to 4:3 or 16:9 before launching the game.
This way, we only would have to push a button on the TV remote to switch back and forth between 4:3 and 16:9.

Really, the thing is that the Wii actually looks better when set to 4:3 , as the image is not squished ( kind of higher res ) . Having a game squish the image and then add black borders is the worst !

EDIT: On a second thought , I better post this in the official CFG thread, sorry if you see this as a double post !

This is dumb.
If your game is presented in 4:3 whatever you Wii is setup for. The onl;y thing you would have to change in de display mode on your TV.
If you have a Samsung this is two button presses.
No need to get this into CFG loader just because some TV's suck imho.
This would also explai why Ninty doesnt'give you that option upon loading a game, lol

Known game that aremeant to be played on Wii in 3:4 are Resident evil achives. Even if you Wii is set on 16:9 it presented in 4:3.

You know what ?
You are DUMB. Why do you even bother to answer something that you don't understand ? Evidently you are not aware of how the Wii works and how games scale the images according to the Wii internal settings.
Evidently, you don't know nothing about true widescreen ( hori + ) and anamorphic, so do us a favor STFU and GTFO.
And to your information, I got a great Samsung and I know how to work the remote control, again, thanks a lot asshole.

@ JoostinOnline

Thanks a lot man,I didn't try it yet, but it looks like this is just what I was talking about. I'm glad there are still smart people on these forums.
Now if there would be a way to add it to the CFG USB loader settings.....that'll be awesome ;)

EDIT:

Hey , I've just tried it, and it works like a charm !
Very very nice indeed. I'm using postloader, so every time I boot the Wii it's a matter of seconds to perform the switch, and since the CFG USB loader is set to return to postloader when it reboots, all I have to do now is launch your app before the CFG.
It's still not perfect ( like I said, ideally there would be an option in the game settings of the CFG to force this ) but it surely beats the hell out of going trough the Wii system menu every time !
Thanks again, you made my day :yay:

I never called anybody dumb, thanks to you also.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Arm73: Do you have a forwarder channel for Cfg? If so, I think I could pack the app in an ISO so you could run it from Cfg. Let me know what the title ID is. Check the wad you used if you aren't sure (there are almost always 4 letters in all caps at the end of the name, that's the ID).

A Forwarder should work just fine actually.
Imagine this:
2 Forwarders for the CFG, one regular, which works as usual ( starts the CFG ) ,
and one labelled ARS Forwarder ,(Aspect Ratio Switcher or whatever you'll call it), which runs AspectSwitch v1.0 first and then the CFG,effectively switching the internal res on the fly with the press of a button, by choosing the right forwarder.
The only thing I'm not sure of , is if it's mandatory to reboot the wii after switching the res, because if this is the case, then how would the Wii know to boot the CFG after the the reset ?

To answer your question,I use the USBLoaderCFG - UCXF - IOS58 v11b Stripes.wad, however these days I'm actually using postloader , which is set in autoboot, and goes straight into the CFG upon booting ( which is great, I can always press A and go to the channels instead ).
Your AspectSwitch v1.0 is working wonderfully for me because basically I only have to push two buttons now to switch the internal res ( one time A to go into postloader apps launcher, and one more time to launch AspectSwitch v1.0) ,after which the Wii reboots and postloader runs the CFG as usual, but with the new video setting.

But still, I realized that the CFG can ' detect ' the Wii internal aspect ratio as well, in fact, CFG displays the covers and the menus in the correct aspect ratio whether your Wii is set to 4:3 or widescreen.
Since the CFG is homebrew, I suspect there is a variable that can be checked and returns a true or false value regarding the Wii internal res setting.
Again , AspectSwitch v1.0 works fine as it is, adding more option to it ( like choosing the setting ) would only defeat the purpose of it being a quick way to switch res.

I'm still convinced that adding an extra setting to the CFG video settings ( that can be set globally or on a per game basis ) would be the most effective way to perform a quick, painless switch.
And again AspectSwitch v1.0 does the trick just fine for me, but I remember a few days ago somebody was asking about the lack of CFG program updates, and the answer was that there was nothing more to add, unless somebody came up with an idea.
Well I did ;)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I still think the loaders could store a "Default Loader Aspect Ratio", if it's different than the current one then it automatically launch the switcher and restart the loader.
That way, when exiting a game, the "return to" will trigger the switcher if needed. All will be transparent to the user.

Well, if the user don't use "Return to", then launching the switcher manually is required (for example if they want to run another homebrew, so they don't have to launch and exit Wiiflow).

Homebrew can read and write the screen setting.
The wii doesn't require a reboot (when you go to your Wii setting, it switch it without rebooting).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.