Hacking Widescreen Correction in usbloader?

rich333

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So I've just upgraded to a widescreen.

I've noticed that some games do not support it properly and the image ends up looking stretched. Its easily fixed with a button on the TV remote.
I was wondering tho, if there is a function which can be enabled for specific games (either in a list or user enabled) in a usbloader which can add in the black bars on the sides so when the image is stretched it looks normal? I know this might lessen the over res of the image, but I don't mind.

Does this exist?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You should check that you correctly set the Wide screen option in your wii system menu's settings.

USBloaders can't change the aspect ratio on a game by game basis.
The aspect ratio is defined in the Wii settings only.

edit:
USBloaders "could" change it, but there's no way to put back the option after exiting the game.
It's not a temporary setting, it has to be changed internally before launching the game.

rich333

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
From what I understand the 480res of the wii is not a widescreen format, so setting to 16:9 in the wii menu squashes the image, and then its up to the tv to stretch it to widescreen and make it look normal. Some games include the black bars in the sides of the squashed image (when they have only been designed in 4:3 display), but others don't - resulting in a stretched image, requiring a change in mode on the TV to make it look normal. So something that is able to add black bars and squash the image in a usbloader would be ideal. Couldn't find anything & am just hoping it exists.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know any games which are 4:3 only.

Usually, games not designed for 16:9 have "nice" border designs, not black one. (But everyone wished it was black to reduce LCD burns)
For example, Mario party or Wii (brain?) academy, have some sort of borders all around the screen if you set your wii settings in 16:9.

If there's really games not compatible with 16:9 and with stretched pictures, then you have to change the setting in your wii before launching the USBloader.

480 has nothing to do with the aspect ratio.
480p is both available in 16:9 and 4:3.

16:9 is not a real 16:9 pictures, but just an option telling the game to skew/squeeze their display and insert more content in the same picture's width, so it will look not stretched (but it's just an un-squeezed picture, there's no more pixels on screen).

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I already listed Mario party as one of the game which adds borders (which is bad for LCD tv), but it's not a 4:3 only game.
It's widecreen compatible because it doesn't deform the image, it adds left&right borders if the wii is set to widescreen so the game area keeps its aspect ratio.
If the game acts differently on 4:3 or 16:9, then it's not a 4:3 only.

it may not be what you call widescreen, but the game has more content on screen when in widescreen, so how do you call that?
You can call it fake 16:9, but it's also true for all the Wii video output.

rich333

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah, Games like Mario Party are fine because they add borders. Some games dont, ending up with a stretched image. BigBuck Hunter Pro for instance.... (and a few others I've found)

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@rich333 Your Wii should be set to "Widescreen" and your television's picture mode to "Native" or "1:1" (or whatever it's labeled as on your set).

Also, even with component or HDMI, the Wii has always looked better to me in 480i mode instead of 480p. And I don't have an el-cheapo tv by any means. Was the same way with my previous two sets also, and a different Wii/cables. Using 480i mode in widescreen with component or HDMI cables has always produced the sharper/clearer image imo. Maybe it's because 480p mode adds some blurring to hide the jaggies?

Edit: What I meant in the first part was... the games/Wii aren't stretching the image. It's your TV. Make sure it's in native/1:1/pixel perfect or whatever mode it is labeled as on your TV. Don't use any stretching/squishing or auto modes.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
@rich333 Your Wii should be set to "Widescreen" and your television's picture mode to "Native" or "1:1" (or whatever it's labeled as on your set).

Also, even with component or HDMI, the Wii has always looked better to me in 480i mode instead of 480p. And I don't have an el-cheapo tv by any means. Was the same way with my previous two sets also, and a different Wii/cables. Using 480i mode in widescreen with component or HDMI cables has always produced the sharper/clearer image imo. Maybe it's because 480p mode adds some blurring to hide the jaggies?
Did you use official Nintendo cables? It looks waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better with them for me. Even if you want to stick with 480i, the official component cables still look better than composite.

Reactions: 1 person

rich333

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
wii is set to widescreen - 90% of the games i've played look perfect in widescreen, like Mario Kart (& Mario Party). Some don't (incl. a few VC games too)- guess theres prob so few games like this no ones really even noticed.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Did you use official Nintendo cables? It looks waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better with them for me. Even if you want to stick with 480i, the official component cables still look better than composite.

I accidentally pressed the "like" button instead of the quote, lol. Anyway, I've used the official component cables, 3rd party component cables, and several different HDMI cables... all using different Wii's and televisions. All looked better on 480i. I don't use composite cables for ANYthing. I think people believe it looks better on 480p because it blurs the jaggies. I prefer the crisper/sharper look of 480i mode (note again, using HDMI or component. NOT composite).

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Edit: What I meant in the first part was... the games/Wii aren't stretching the image. It's your TV. Make sure it's in native/1:1/pixel perfect or whatever mode it is labeled as on your TV. Don't use any stretching/squishing or auto modes.

Stop posting bullshit, you clearly know ONLY HALF and it's the bad part.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
OK I was meaning to ask something very similar for a long time.
Here's my situation:

My Wii is hooked up with component cables, and set to 480p and 16:9.
Everything looks great, however........
Some games were designed in 4:3, but then detect the Wii internal settings (16:9) and squish the image to add black borders or frames.
Now for those games, what I do is going into the Wii setting menu, setup the screen to 4:3 and then adjust my TV accordingly.
The result ? Well if the game doesn't detect 16:9, then it outputs a nice, clear, native 4:3 image which looks exactly as it should on a TV set to 4:3 with black borders, and the end result is like having a higher resolution.

Then some games are designed and optimized for 16:9 displays ( the majority actually ). In this case, if both Wii and TV are set to 4:3, not only we get black borders, but also a letter boxed image that still is 16:9, but it's framed in black borders all around.
The solution ? Going back to the Wii menu, enable 16:9 and switch the TV accordingly.

It would be nice to have a per game option ( much like force PAL or NTSC ) in the CFG USB loader, to ' force ' the internal Wii setting to 4:3 or 16:9 before launching the game.
This way, we only would have to push a button on the TV remote to switch back and forth between 4:3 and 16:9.

Really, the thing is that the Wii actually looks better when set to 4:3 , as the image is not squished ( kind of higher res ) . Having a game squish the image and then add black borders is the worst !

EDIT: On a second thought , I better post this in the official CFG thread, sorry if you see this as a double post !

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Here's my situation:

Some games were designed in 4:3, but then detect the Wii internal settings (16:9) and squish the image to add black borders or frames.
Now for those games, what I do is going into the Wii setting menu, setup the screen to 4:3 and then adjust my TV accordingly.
The result ? Well if the game doesn't detect 16:9, then it outputs a nice, clear, native 4:3 image which looks exactly as it should on a TV set to 4:3 with black borders, and the end result is like having a higher resolution.

Then some games are designed and optimized for 16:9 displays ( the majority actually ). In this case, if both Wii and TV are set to 4:3, not only we get black borders, but also a letter boxed image that still is 16:9, but it's framed in black borders all around.
The solution ? Going back to the Wii menu, enable 16:9 and switch the TV accordingly.

It would be nice to have a per game option ( much like force PAL or NTSC ) in the CFG USB loader, to ' force ' the internal Wii setting to 4:3 or 16:9 before launching the game.
This way, we only would have to push a button on the TV remote to switch back and forth between 4:3 and 16:9.

Really, the thing is that the Wii actually looks better when set to 4:3 , as the image is not squished ( kind of higher res ) . Having a game squish the image and then add black borders is the worst !

EDIT: On a second thought , I better post this in the official CFG thread, sorry if you see this as a double post !

This is dumb.
If your game is presented in 4:3 whatever you Wii is setup for. The onl;y thing you would have to change in de display mode on your TV.
If you have a Samsung this is two button presses.
No need to get this into CFG loader just because some TV's suck imho.
This would also explai why Ninty doesnt'give you that option upon loading a game, lol

Known game that aremeant to be played on Wii in 3:4 are Resident evil achives. Even if you Wii is set on 16:9 it presented in 4:3.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
This isn't a perfect solution, but I've modified ProgressiveSwitch so that it swaps between fullscreen and widescreen when you run it. Just launch it before you load Cfg and it will detect your aspect ratio, then change it to the opposite. Run it again to change it back:
AspectSwitch v1.0
AspectSwitch v1.0 Source

You could also run Settings Editor GUI (link in my sig), but this is faster if you only want to change your aspect ratio.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Here's my situation:

This is dumb.
If your game is presented in 4:3 whatever you Wii is setup for. The onl;y thing you would have to change in de display mode on your TV.
If you have a Samsung this is two button presses.
No need to get this into CFG loader just because some TV's suck imho.
This would also explai why Ninty doesnt'give you that option upon loading a game, lol

Known game that aremeant to be played on Wii in 3:4 are Resident evil achives. Even if you Wii is set on 16:9 it presented in 4:3.

You know what ?
You are DUMB. Why do you even bother to answer something that you don't understand ? Evidently you are not aware of how the Wii works and how games scale the images according to the Wii internal settings.
Evidently, you don't know nothing about true widescreen ( hori + ) and anamorphic, so do us a favor STFU and GTFO.
And to your information, I got a great Samsung and I know how to work the remote control, again, thanks a lot asshole.

@ JoostinOnline

Thanks a lot man,I didn't try it yet, but it looks like this is just what I was talking about. I'm glad there are still smart people on these forums.
Now if there would be a way to add it to the CFG USB loader settings.....that'll be awesome ;)

EDIT:

Hey , I've just tried it, and it works like a charm !
Very very nice indeed. I'm using postloader, so every time I boot the Wii it's a matter of seconds to perform the switch, and since the CFG USB loader is set to return to postloader when it reboots, all I have to do now is launch your app before the CFG.
It's still not perfect ( like I said, ideally there would be an option in the game settings of the CFG to force this ) but it surely beats the hell out of going trough the Wii system menu every time !
Thanks again, you made my day :yay:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-