Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is from The Independent:

"By Geoffrey Lean, environment editor
Published: 22 April 2007

Britain's top health protection watchdog is pressing for a formal investigation into the hazards of using wireless communication networks in schools amid mounting concern that they may be damaging children's health, 'The Independent on Sunday' can reveal.

Sir William Stewart, the chairman of the Health Protection Agency, wants pupils to be monitored for ill effects from the networks - known as Wi-Fi - which emit radiation and are being installed in classrooms across the nation.

Sir William - who is a former chief scientific adviser to the Government, and has chaired two official inquiries into the hazards of mobile phones - is adding his weight to growing pressure for a similar examination of Wi-Fi, which some scientists fear could cause cancer and premature senility.

Wi-Fi - described by the Department of Education and Skills as a "magical" system that means computers do not have to be connected to telephone lines - is rapidly being taken up inschools, with estimates that more than half of primary schools - and four-fifths of secondary schools - have installed it .

But several European provincial governments have already taken action to ban, or limit, its use in the classroom, and Stowe School has partially removed it after a teacher became ill.

This week the Professional Association of Teachers, which represents 35,000 staff across the country, will write to Alan Johnson, Secretary of State for Education, to demand an official inquiry. Virtually no studies have been carried out into Wi-Fi's effects on pupils, but it gives off radiation similar to emissions from mobile phones and phone masts.

Recent research has linked radiation from mobiles to cancer and to brain damage. And many studies have found disturbing symptoms in people near masts.

Professor Olle Johansson, of Sweden's prestigious Karolinska Institute, who is deeply concerned about the spread of Wi-Fi, says there are "thousands" of articles in scientific literature demonstrating "adverse health effects". He adds: "Do we not know enough already to say, 'Stop!'?"

For the past 16 months, the provincial government of Salzburg in Austria has been advising schools not to install Wi-Fi, and is considering a ban. Dr Gerd Oberfeld, its head of environmental health and medicine, calls the technology "dangerous".

Sir William - who takes a stronger position on the issue than his agency - was not available for comment yesterday, but two members of an expert group that he chairs on the hazards of radiation spoke of his concern.

Mike Bell, chairman of the Electromagnetic Radiation Research Trust, says that he has been "very supportive of having Wi-Fi examined and doing something about it". And Alasdair Philips, director of Powerwatch, an information service, said that he was pressing for monitoring of the health of pupils exposed to Wi-Fi.

Labour MP Ian Gibson, who was interviewed with Sir William for a forthcoming television programme, last week said that he backed proposals for an inquiry."

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I saw that when I delivered the papers this morning.
What rubbish will they think up next?
My school has WiFi points all over the place as well and I can pick up WiFi on my whole street because some silly people leave them wide open with no security (but that's a different matter).

- Sam

Qpido

Call me Q.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
wacko.gif
Are you kidding me!
Electronic Smog -.-.

Q~

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Stupid idiots shouldn't have so much political and media influence... :-/ Latest thing I heard was that an extensive long term study pretty much proved that radiation from mobile phones doesn't do any harm at all. Wifi is exactly the same stuff but with lower power.
Teacher becomes ill?! BLAME IT ONE THE MAGICK!! Any witches to burn?

Tank5890

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Recent research has linked radiation from mobiles to cancer and to brain damage. And many studies have found disturbing symptoms in people near masts.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory?id=2702500 (found on slashdot)

December 2006, cell phones found safe. I thought that the "research" that mobile phones caused cancer was several years old, and it has remained unproved and disproved.

I'm normally against people who just go "Stfu mainstream news, it's safe", but these people's credibility is just poor.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A greater power set it so that wifi signals moved out about children in order to help cull the burgeoning overpopulation of the planet. It is that intelligent creators will to always as time passes to find new ways to show it exists by creating new means to manage population.
smile.gif

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
You guys are so quick to dismiss it.

Anyway, I've always liked to be on the safe side with this sort of stuff, so I do turn my cellphone and my WiFi off at night - if there is no chance of health damage, then there's no harm done. If something is discovered however (remember, handling mercury was "safe" in the 60s), I know that I've taken steps (which consist of a few seconds each night) to minimize any risk.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I got a wifi router last year and it was my first one. I think psychologically, I gave myself a headache thinking of TEH SIGNALS INJECTING MY BRAIN.... but I found out it was because I had a cold. Now I can't live without Wifi at all.

beoba

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Anyway, I've always liked to be on the safe side with this sort of stuff, so I do turn my cellphone and my WiFi off at night - if there is no chance of health damage, then there's no harm done. If something is discovered however (remember, handling mercury was "safe" in the 60s), I know that I've taken steps (which consist of a few seconds each night) to minimize any risk.

You probably get more "radiation" from your local power lines than you do from an internet hub.

Remember that it's just radio that you're fearing.

If you really think it's a health issue, why not talk to a doctor?

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand

You probably get more "radiation" from your local power lines than you do from an internet hub.

Remember that it's just radio that you're fearing.

If you really think it's a health issue, why not talk to a doctor?
You think I'm not aware of that? Like I said, just a few seconds a night to turn off a couple of switches to minimize any potential risk. There's no harm in doing so.

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@Dirtie: I don't think turning off your cellphone is going to help much, aren't cellular waves transmitted from towers as well as phones?

When I get a brain tumor from all of this, I'll beleive it. Until anyone can offer hard evidence to the contrary, why let it bother you. I'lls ave my tin foil hat for more serious threats, like bigfoot and aliens.

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
shenanigan!, shenanigan!, I declare shenanigan! what doesnt cause cancer these days? electric pole, cell phones, TV, computers, cordless phones, food coloring, plastic container for food in microwave, now routers? i need more solid facts "articles in scientific literature" isnt enough, least a dedicated research or even animal testing by a non bias organization.

oh btw "Johnny Mnemonic" comes in mind.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: +2