Hacking Gaming Hardware Homebrew Misc Why is it when I download on my USB it crashes my Wii U? It used to work.

Xavvi09

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
When I homebrewed my Wii U a month ago, I was able to download stuff on my USB. Offical/Homebrew ways to download apps. A few days ago, I was trying to download a WUP file on my Wii U on my USB and like 20-50% through, it CRASHED my Wii U. I dont know why this happens, and when I download on the main storage its fine... so im confused. I was even trying to move games from my main to my usb but it didnt crash my wii u, it was just kept loading forever. Can someone help?

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What the two people above said: If flash it might be dying, else you migh have used homebrews more than a few months old, more like years old, when downloading where slow as hell... Slow downlodad = less I/O to the HDD but now it might be too much without a good power soure.

To track this down:
- What type of USB storage are you using?
- In case it's a HDD (or maybe even a power hungry SSD?) : How is it powered?
- Are you getting random crashed you can't explain? Like when playing games?

Reactions: jeannotte

Xavvi09

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
- USB is a regular drive/flash drive.
-
- When this bug started happening, the games used to work then now it just doesn't load at all.

I think my USB drive IS dying... because I cant think of any other reason why this wont work.

Trophies
XP
"stop cheaping out" alright buddy :/

He's right though. The Wii U performs an absurd amount of writes to USB, so much so that it's enough to effectively kill most cheap flash drives within a matter of weeks. If it lasts an extended period of time, then it's literally just luck.

Only an external HDD / SDD can properly stand up to that abuse for extended periods of time. Think of it as an investment- get a proper storage medium, and you'll never have to deal with this issue again. They're also not that expensive, the one I used before my console broke was only around 50$ and it was over 1 TB. The only other thing you may need is a Y-Cable, which you can get for less than 10$.

Xavvi09

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
He's right though. The Wii U performs an absurd amount of writes to USB, so much so that it's enough to effectively kill most cheap flash drives within a matter of weeks. If it lasts an extended period of time, then it's literally just luck.

Only an external HDD / SDD can properly stand up to that abuse for extended periods of time. Think of it as an investment- get a proper storage medium, and you'll never have to deal with this issue again. They're also not that expensive, the one I used before my console broke was only around 50$ and it was over 1 TB. The only other thing you may need is a Y-Cable, which you can get for less than 10$.
Alright... good point!! Thanks :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto