Why doesn't DS Mode work with GW 3.0?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Lucifer666, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Lucifer666
    OP

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    Title's self explanatory

I can completely understand why DS mode didn't work with the DS exploit

but I'm on 9.2 and after creating emuNAND I formatted sysnand to unlink them so now my DSi ware stuff from the eShop's on emunand and I basically can't use it. Since the web exploit is not dependent on crashing DS mode, why can't we play DS(i) games in emuNAND?

2. Ralph1611

Ralph1611 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    Sky3ds plays 3ds games.. and u can just take out the sky3ds and play dstwo... so easy to do and I LOVE IT!!

3. kamesenin888

kamesenin888 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 20, 2007
    Dude I think that emunand uses some process of ds mode to boot, but I'm not sure

4. Nollog

Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2008
    They're probably still using the same memory addresses, which ds and dsi modes seemingly need to work.

5. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    from what i have read its simply the fact that they crash the whole system.....from there they rebuild it into a working state with their patches applied.....but as of yet they haven't gotten around to fixing the NDS/GBA firmware portions....thats just how i have understood it all, so it was never really so much the fact it was started with the NDS profile exploit, as they simply didn't fix the additional firmware modes

6. Falo

Falo GBAtemp Regular

Jul 22, 2012
    Gambia, The
    The 3DS has 3 firmwares, NATIVE_FIRM, TWL_FIRM and AGB_FIRM,
    To play 3DS games, you run NATIVE_FIRM.

If you want to play DS or DSi games, your 3DS needs to switch from NATIVE_FIRM to TWL_FIRM.
    Same goes for GBA games, your 3DS needs to switch from NATIVE_FIRM to AGB_FIRM.

Gateway Mode uses a patched NATIVE_FIRM to do it's magic in 3DS Mode, but if you try to play DS/DSi/GBA, you switch to another firmware and basically reload the original firmware, this throws you out of emunand while the game still boots and your system crashs.

TL;DR:
    It's impossible without a permanent CFW flashed to your sysnand and it may never be possible with gateway.

7. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    thank you for help the OP with his specific question. your advertisement is appreciated.

edit: you know this is a sarcastic post right?

Margen67, MrJason005 and Ralph1611 like this.
  8. KazoWAR

KazoWAR GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2008
    United States
    Winter Haven
    Make a new emunand partition. And then restore your sysnand backup so that the emunand and sysnand are unlinked, but sysnand is still in its original state.

9. iNFiNiTY

iNFiNiTY GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 18, 2004
    I think TWL_FIRM is part of the exploit and the memory is used. If it dropped into TWL mode then it would fuck the GW code up considering it limits access to memory and the ARM11. It's a lot of extra work i bet to try and fix their code to drop in and out of TWL mode but maybe one day it will be done. Right now they have enough work as every Nintendo update is making security patches/memory changes etc.

10. Lucifer666
    OP

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    All right it's starting to make a bit of sense in my head. Thanks guys!

Oddly though I emailed GW about it a few days ago and here's the reply I got today along with the original message I sent off, if anyone cares

Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 10.59.02 PM.png

11. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    Would be possible to simply patch TWL_FIRM so it can boot correctly? Or perhaps we can just build a custom Arm9 homebrew base that can setup a modified DS environment via a launcher.dat payload file. I can certainly imagine Gateway putting something like this in their "menu" of sorts. It would allow booting DS games off the same card as the 3DS games are on. Would certainly take a lot of programming to get done correctly. Something like this has already been on on the Wii in regards to booting gamecube games (and in vWii on the WiiU as well).

Margen67 likes this.
  12. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States

The title is not self explanatory, its a question....

If you're trying to use the ds exploit with 9.2 it does not work. If you're trying to use the ds mode to play ds games than use the flashtimewarp.cia.

13. XDel

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    I just down graded then used the 4.2 installation guide.

14. Falo

Falo GBAtemp Regular

Jul 22, 2012
    Gambia, The
    I guess nothing is impossible, but don't compare a 3DS to a Wii, there are no devs to even start the work on a custom TWL_FIRM and i don't really know how the boot works, it may not be possible to do something against this forced reboot.

The easiest way to make DSi and GBA work, is to make properly signed cia's and install that into sysnand.

15. Falo

Falo GBAtemp Regular

Jul 22, 2012
    Gambia, The
    //edit sorry double post

16. Lucifer666
    OP

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension

Yeah, it's a question, but it's also self explanatory cos it doesn't require me to elaborate further :unsure:

Anyway team GW claim to be working on it, so who knows

Imagine that comes out before N3DS support

17. tony_2018

Jan 3, 2014
    United States

For some reason I read somewhere that Homebrew was picking up, apparently not.

18. tony_2018

Jan 3, 2014
    United States

Working on what? Getting ds mode to work? I never heard that. Link your source directly to the post.

edit: I'm not trusting any post of cropped emails or any email for that matter.

19. Lucifer666
    OP

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension

Yeah, they say they're working on getting DS mode to work in emunand

I can see why you wouldn't necessarily trust it but on the other hand I have legit no reason to fake it lol. That doesn't go anyone any good

Margen67 likes this.
  20. tony_2018

Jan 3, 2014
    United States

Blame it on those who thought it be funny to replicate a GW email with fake information and rude replies. Either way I can only depend on each release at a time.