Why do I need such an excessive amount of space for downloads?

Discussion in 'PS4 - Games & Content' started by Armadillo, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Armadillo
    OP

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Trying to download the gravity rush 2 1.04 patch. Patch is a little over 1GB. I have 13GB free, refuses to download, saying not enough space. Deleted the nier automata demo, 17GB free, patch downloads.

I can understand double the space, like it needed on ps3 (download and to unpack it), but wanting over 13 times the size of the patch is just taking the piss.

To make it worse, after deleting the demo, installing the patch, it's quite happy to redownload the demo, so clearly it's not a space issue.

I've tried rebuilding the database, I see plenty of complaining about this, but no solution or even explaination. It's not the first time it's happened and it's really getting annoying now. Delete shit for a patch it apparently lacks the space for, patch starts and it's tiny and you clearly had more than enough space.

TheVinAnator likes this.
  2. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    well ive read that the new 4.50 firmware can use external hard drives. maybe you should get an external hard drive if space is a problem. not tested by me yet.

for any software problem we really just need to wish enough people complain so they sort it out.

Last edited by Flame, Mar 13, 2017
  3. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 12, 2009
    It might be they're blocking downloads when it gets to a certain point to prevent issues e.g. freezing.

4. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Sound like android problems. :P

Sound exactly like downloading from google play. But you have to remember that the system preserves some memories for emergency reasons like downloading updates and such or installing tools or whatever. I'm not 100% positive on this but is probably something related. Probably can't even play games (ON DISC) if you don't have enough storage on the HDD. That why upgrading to higher 2TB/4TB/8TB ASAP is best. Or like bender the robot said up there, using a HDD USB drive. He is a robot, he knows about those computer stuff. :P

5. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I had the exact same problem on my first PS4 (now dead).
    I had to delete a game to install a small update, even though I had more than twice the free space.

I thought the reported "free space" was wrong, but I didn't try rebuilding the database. I guess it wouldn't have helped as you tried it too.
    I wanted to buy a new internal HDD (I don't want to mess with externals), but my PS4 died. I bought a PS4pro and could transfer my data from the old to the new one even without video output. I'm happy now (and less rich).

6. Armadillo
    OP

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    I don't really use the console enough to justify spending out for more space. If I see a cheap hdd deal at some point, I might.

I'll still run into the same issue though. Even with a bigger drive, eventually that will get full and we will have the same nonsense again. If the ps4 needs X amount free at all times for whatever reason, then why show that as "free" space to me, mark it system resevered and be done with it.

I also don't think it's a space issue. Gravity rush patch, then nier automata demo = fine. Nier automata demo, then patch=not enough space. Same amount of space being used. Apparently it just wants over 13 times the size of the patch free before it will download it, completely unreasonable and no one seems to know why.

Last edited by Armadillo, Mar 13, 2017
  7. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    From my experience, PS4 reserves in the ballpark of 20GB. To most people I suggest getting a USB drive and be done with it.
    System update 4.50 is essential for owners of the gimped 500GB PS4.