Hacking Which Flash Cart Should I Get?

PterBaksa

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Yo guys!

Im totally green to this stuff, so forgive me if i ask something alrdy been asked ( did not see though ) .

So ive a DS ( normal one, maybe its called phat? lol dunno ) and i would like to play GBA games on it. So far i see here DSTWO should be my choice as a flash card that supports it, any1 can confirm this 4 me plz?

Kind regards

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
you could get the EZ IV which is a gba sized slot-2 flash kit solution. it is limited by the fact that it uses a 2gb mini-sd card. micro and an adapter should work, although i've read about it causing some issues. there really aren't any good gba flash kits to recommend anymore, that is a lost aspect of flash kits -- sadly.

there is a gba sized 3in1 kit from ez flash. the 3in1 allows you to flash games to it from a slot-1 which supports it. almost all of the currently available quality slot-1 flash kits will support it, and if they do not then you can use the gba exploader homebrew to flash your games. you will get the highest compatibility with a 3in1 as it runs on actual hardware and not via emulation. the only issue is the battery assisted sram, eventually you will need to swap out the battery and it isn't as easy as plug-and-play.

read more about it here: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3_in_1_Expansion_Pack_for_EZ-Flash_V

the scds2 will allow you to play gba games via emulation thanks to their built-in cpu. however, it does come at a cost of battery life for your system. if you have the old phat, you may want to consider this as i'm sure your battery doesn't hold that long of a charge anymore. the ismart mm also has gba emulation, it uses the same emulator as the iplayer (both made by supercard but marketed by different companies). the scds2 gba emu is a bit better but all of them will get you gaming.

if you go with the slot-1/3in1 combination i would suggest the r4i gold 3ds by the .cn team (more about it HERE). its a great cart, well supported, and well built.

you could also consider an ak2i but you will probably experience contact issues with it.

there are a lot to choose from but the info above should get you started. i recommend that you read the reviews here at gbatemp, found HERE.

do the research first and then ask some questions. otherwise you are going to be hit up with way to many opinions and not enough facts.

-another world

Reactions: 1 person

PterBaksa

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
you could get the EZ IV which is a gba sized slot-2 flash kit solution. it is limited by the fact that it uses a 2gb mini-sd card. micro and an adapter should work, although i've read about it causing some issues. there really aren't any good gba flash kits to recommend anymore, that is a lost aspect of flash kits -- sadly.

there is a gba sized 3in1 kit from ez flash. the 3in1 allows you to flash games to it from a slot-1 which supports it. almost all of the currently available quality slot-1 flash kits will support it, and if they do not then you can use the gba exploader homebrew to flash your games. you will get the highest compatibility with a 3in1 as it runs on actual hardware and not via emulation. the only issue is the battery assisted sram, eventually you will need to swap out the battery and it isn't as easy as plug-and-play.

read more about it here: http://wiki.gbatemp...._for_EZ-Flash_V

the scds2 will allow you to play gba games via emulation thanks to their built-in cpu. however, it does come at a cost of battery life for your system. if you have the old phat, you may want to consider this as i'm sure your battery doesn't hold that long of a charge anymore. the ismart mm also has gba emulation, it uses the same emulator as the iplayer (both made by supercard but marketed by different companies). the scds2 gba emu is a bit better but all of them will get you gaming.

if you go with the slot-1/3in1 combination i would suggest the r4i gold 3ds by the .cn team (more about it HERE). its a great cart, well supported, and well built.

you could also consider an ak2i but you will probably experience contact issues with it.

there are a lot to choose from but the info above should get you started. i recommend that you read the reviews here at gbatemp, found HERE.

do the research first and then ask some questions. otherwise you are going to be hit up with way to many opinions and not enough facts.

-another world

Jeez thx a lot! Thats the info exactly ( more likely a totally perfect guide for me ) i was looking for! I really aprociate this! Im sure ill have tons of questions next day ^^

EDIT: Cant wait to play Golden Sun ^^

DirtyDDan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice comparison guide, thanks for putting it together.

As always 1 persons deal breaker is another persons minor issue. Still.. I would like to see Wii connectivity, wifi, local / download play make it on that list somehow.

kerdon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How much compatibility do the cheaper cards, like iSmart premium, have with newer games? I have an R4 clone from a few years ago and it has a hard time playing newer games with better security.

gamer89420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can someone recommend me a reputable retailer to buy from that ships from the USA (or at least North America)? I don't quite feel comfortable with something from out of the states (not to mention the shipping charges).

and that they personally have experience with or know someone here that successfully bought from them?

thx

gamer89420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2i is better.
why the heck does the site have the acekard 2i for 30ish bucks, but the chart here says 15 bucks? :wtf:

and the site i assume is not a chinese location. (modchipcentral)

http://www.realhotstuff.com/-c-124_99.html

has it for 15 ish but it's not the i version.

I want the i version and not get ripped off :(

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You want the 2i, the other doesn't work with the DSi or 3DS and never will.
You were looking in the DS/Lite section, you need to go to the DSi/3DS section for the 2i.
http://realhotstuff.com/-c-125_102.html
$18 there.

However the 2i on modchipcentral is $23, not $30, you might have seen one bundled with a MicroSD or something.
https://www.modchipcentral.com/store/acekard2i-w-free-usb-reader-and-usb-charge-cable.html

So it's a difference of $5, not $15.

US-based shops are more expensive, that's the tradeoff. Just because something is a .com doesn't mean they keep their goods in the US. Some people have said the RHS ships from within the US, but I'm not sure on that which is why I didn't comment before. In either case, you're likely going to pirate, right? Any shop still sells them for less than the price of a single new game...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol